ImageImage

PG Celtics - Domination

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,309

Re: PG Celtics - Domination 

Post#121 » by fan230 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:45 pm

It was great to see how everyone around me standing up to honor Jrue before the start of the game. Also great to see Michael Redd among the spectators yesterday, and the spectators applauding his presence. The Bucks camaraderie was in full evidence.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,651

Post#122 » by ShootingtheJ » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:46 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
msiris wrote:sell high on Bobby. ;)

You spelled Beasley wrong. AJ Green can provide everything Beas does, plus more, but that isn't what we need from the SG anyway. Sell high on Beas, and then go get what we need.
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but Beas has the BEST 3-pt % in the NBA.

Yup, are you aware he shot 35% from 3 last year? He's getting wide open looks playing in the dream role with our big 3. He have numerous other guards shooting over 40% from 3, and doing it with out the wide open looks, all while providing other much needed contributions. Beas isn't necessary.

Are you aware our defense sucks, and Beasley is a bad defender? Sorry that I want Giannis to win another ship.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,879

Post#123 » by Dick Tate » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:56 pm

The 1st half was definitely worth a re-watch. Think i'll hold on to that recording for awhile in case a pick-me-up is needed for darker days ahead.

Schedule win and all but I did come out of this feeling the Bucks could roll the Celtics in the playoffs if Horford isn't available. Zinger doesn't offer much resistance.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,416

Post#124 » by MiltownHawkeye » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:21 pm

Profound23 wrote:Also, I don't think I have ever seen this many excuses for one team facing another at the end of a B2B. It happens all of the time, I dislike it, but there were 4 brand new threads in a row on the GB making excuses and complaining about B2B's the one time we benefit from it.

It's the "just found out about racism, that **** sucks" meme but replace racism with B2Bs
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,972

Post#125 » by soxperry » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 pm

i rewatched the first half just review how we got our buckets and what there is to be excited about (versus what we got from 3pt variance and the Celtics being the first team in nba history to ever have to try and win on a back to back). what's funny about the excuses: the announcers say early in the game that Boston is "normally very good on back to backs."

OPE

Anyway, yes, we shot above our paygrade, but we still missed plenty of threes on great looks. What i liked is that we were making great decisions and taking high percentage shots, for the most part. It was obvious that they missed Horford on those Giannis drives. He's just really good at altering shots. But whatever. I liked the ball movement and the intensity. I loved our defense on plays where we didn't have a brain fart and give up the red carpet to the rim. Positive signs going forward.

Until the next game, Bobby is untouchable.
soxperry
Assistant Coach

Post#126 » by soxperry » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:51 pm

btw i haven't heard Bill's pod yet today, but instead of it saying "Bill talks Bucks dominance over the Celtics," the label reads "Bill is joined by Joe House to discuss NBA blowouts."

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

cope Bill
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#127 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:56 pm

There were still way too many "what the hell happened?" moments where the Celtics got wide open layups and dunks in the half court, including the infamous "Bobby special" where he'll hedge out and maybe get a steal once every 5-6 times (while the other 4-5 times it leads to the roller being completely unguarded). That's the stuff that's still maddening and it has to change, regardless of the outcome of this specific game.
Neuromancer56
Rookie
And1: 1,037

Post#128 » by Neuromancer56 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:37 pm

I just don't know what to make of this team now. This game makes me think we can beat anyone, that we just coast on D most of the time, but when it matters, we can just flip the switch and crush our opponents. Everything else that I've seen up to this point tells me the opposite. Does anyone know were we playing Griff's form of defense (guarding the PG 40+ feet out) and everyone else playing tight man defense and we were just executing that really well, or were we playing Bud's form of defense where we sag off and help? My guess is it was the former based on what I remember.
soxperry
Assistant Coach

Post#129 » by soxperry » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:20 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:There were still way too many "what the hell happened?" moments where the Celtics got wide open layups and dunks in the half court, including the infamous "Bobby special" where he'll hedge out and maybe get a steal once every 5-6 times (while the other 4-5 times it leads to the roller being completely unguarded). That's the stuff that's still maddening and it has to change, regardless of the outcome of this specific game.

this is true, but the encouraging part is that when we didn't have brain farts like that, we were making great contests and making life tough.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,146

Post#130 » by BigO » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:39 pm

Dick Tate wrote:Where's Big O with his Bobby Bobby Bobby victory lap?

You need to go to the beginning of this thread for my victory lap. No shortcuts on this thread. You're like the teacher who gives an assignment and you only read the last few pages.
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 940

Post#131 » by MiltownMadness » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 pm

JayMKE wrote:Excuses or not, do any of you expect the Celtics team we played last night to be anything like the Celtics we'd face in the playoffs? There's always these high variance games where one team goes nuclear and the other can't hit water if they fell out of a boat, the Bucks really needed it to the point even the media was starting to trumpet the coaching issues with Griffin whereas the Celtics looked like they would have preferred to rest everybody if the league allowed it.

Bucks are a terrible matchup for the Celtics. Thought this before the season and have been greatly validated from the first 2 games, we should've won in Boston if Bucks didn't have an anomaly miss 20 bunnies game when we're a dominant team in the paint normally. I think Bucks pummel them at home in the same situation 9/10 times

I badly want AG fired but like our chances vs. Boston in a series no matter what. Reality is that AG is probably here all season so we just hope that our overwhelming talent wins out somehow
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,146

Post#132 » by BigO » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Excuses or not, do any of you expect the Celtics team we played last night to be anything like the Celtics we'd face in the playoffs? There's always these high variance games where one team goes nuclear and the other can't hit water if they fell out of a boat, the Bucks really needed it to the point even the media was starting to trumpet the coaching issues with Griffin whereas the Celtics looked like they would have preferred to rest everybody if the league allowed it.

Bucks are a terrible matchup for the Celtics. Thought this before the season and have been greatly validated from the first 2 games, we should've won in Boston if Bucks didn't have an anomaly miss 20 bunnies game when we're a dominant team in the paint normally. I think Bucks pummel them at home in the same situation 9/10 times

I badly want AG fired but like our chances vs. Boston in a series no matter what. Reality is that AG is probably here all season so we just hope that our overwhelming talent wins out somehow

Not sure how bad of a matchup it is. Boston is one of the top two point shooting team (like the Bucks). But they are tenth in three point shooting. The Bucks are a good defender on three pointers (about the only good thing), but abysmal on twos.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,879

Post#133 » by Dick Tate » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:55 pm

BigO wrote:
Dick Tate wrote:Where's Big O with his Bobby Bobby Bobby victory lap?

You need to go to the beginning of this thread for my victory lap. No shortcuts on this thread. You're like the teacher who gives an assignment and you only read the last few pages.

Ha! Page 2 was the only one I skimmed! Thanks! All is well now.
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 940

Post#134 » by MiltownMadness » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:03 pm

BigO wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:

Not sure how bad of a matchup it is. Boston is one of the top two point shooting team (like the Bucks). But they are tenth in three point shooting. The Bucks are a good defender on three pointers (about the only good thing), but abysmal on twos.

Any team that the Bucks have any sort of advantage defensively will be bad news for the opposing team, not saying the Bucks are anywhere near the defense of Boston, but they won't be able to hang offensively if we make it tough on them from 3, they are like a Bud live/die from the 3 team. Giannis will average 40 unless Al Horford has a time machine and plays 40 minutes a game

And this isn't really analysis but the playoff quartet of Tatum/Brown/Jrue/KP is destined to falter when they face adversity in the playoffs. They are not built for it, Giannis/Dame/Khris are cut from a different cloth. Yes, this stuff matters to me :nod:
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,866

Post#135 » by Prez » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:15 am

I know his video roasting the Bucks defense was posted here a while back and many didn't like him, but I'm a fan lol

randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#136 » by randy84 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:41 am

Prez wrote:I know his video roasting the Bucks defense was posted here a while back and many didn't like him, but I'm a fan lol

It's amazing that the top 2 teams in the East have the two worst coaches.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#137 » by old skool » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:19 am

Watching that tirade on "CELTICS defensive mistakes vs. BUCKS", it is amazing that the ranter never once attributed a made Milwaukee basket to good offensive execution, Bucks athleticism or random results. It was always poor defensive coaching by Mazzula.

The rant never blamed a lack of effort by Celtic players. Never blamed poor decision making by Celtic players. Never acknowledged the Bucks superior front court size or that some Bucks players were making shots (Portis 5-6 from 3-point) at a much higher rate than normal. It was always 100% poor coaching by Mazzula.

Many fan bases fall into this trap. Every victory is attributable to the heroics of their favorite team, while every loss is because their team (or the refs or the schedule makers) sucked. And if none of those narratives comport with the disgusting result, it always works to blame it on the fans for lack of vocal support (even though it never seems that the team loses a game because of the great vocal support of the opposition - it just doesn't work that way).

But this rant was focused on coaching. Obviously the Celtic players were doing everything exactly the way that they had been taught by their coaches - and violating all of the ranter's defensive rules in the process.

Personnel was completely ignored. Giannis fighting off smaller, slower, less athletic Celtics for an offensive rebound and 2-point put back was a coaching deficiency. No mention of a 1st Team All-NBA superstar being unstoppable playing against minimum salary vets and rookie scale players.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,446

Post#138 » by GoldenAntlers » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:54 pm

PG Graveyard wrote:Listening to the national media you would think Boston stormed the beaches of Normandy Wednesday night instead of playing a tough OT bball game against a good Wolves team (also on a back 2 back…they didn’t die though). It’s ok to give the Bucks a little credit. That game meant a lot to us and we came out with focus and energy. Now can we build off of this?
It was a historical two nights for Boston. The first back-to-back in the history of the NBA.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
Milbucks96
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,506

Post#139 » by Milbucks96 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:33 pm

old skool wrote:Watching that tirade on "CELTICS defensive mistakes vs. BUCKS", it is amazing that the ranter never once attributed a made Milwaukee basket to good offensive execution, Bucks athleticism or random results. It was always poor defensive coaching by Mazzula.

The rant never blamed a lack of effort by Celtic players. Never blamed poor decision making by Celtic players. Never acknowledged the Bucks superior front court size or that some Bucks players were making shots (Portis 5-6 from 3-point) at a much higher rate than normal. It was always 100% poor coaching by Mazzula.

Many fan bases fall into this trap. Every victory is attributable to the heroics of their favorite team, while every loss is because their team (or the refs or the schedule makers) sucked. And if none of those narratives comport with the disgusting result, it always works to blame it on the fans for lack of vocal support (even though it never seems that the team loses a game because of the great vocal support of the opposition - it just doesn't work that way).

But this rant was focused on coaching. Obviously the Celtic players were doing everything exactly the way that they had been taught by their coaches - and violating all of the ranter's defensive rules in the process.

Personnel was completely ignored. Giannis fighting off smaller, slower, less athletic Celtics for an offensive rebound and 2-point put back was a coaching deficiency. No mention of a 1st Team All-NBA superstar being unstoppable playing against minimum salary vets and rookie scale players.

The guy clearly knows a lot about the sport of basketball (more than me) and probably a coach on some level but he really underestimates NBA offenses and athletes in particular in his videos. Didn’t watch this video yet but I remember the one that was posted here and felt like his solutions were way too simple and more suited for basketball with less athletes.

Our defense sucks and a lot of it is scheme/coaching and a lot is personnel and effort. I highly doubt the Celtics scheme and coaching is as bad as the video is proclaiming.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,981

Post#140 » by sidney lanier » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:52 pm

fan230 wrote:I wonder if we have had any Bucks player in history better than Giannis; maybe someone 50 years later.

Or 50 years ago.

"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings

Return to Milwaukee Bucks