PG Celtics - Domination

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,553

Re: PG Celtics - Domination 

Post#81 » by PG Graveyard » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:13 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
PG Graveyard wrote:Bucks need to bump back that Sunday night game by an hour.

Yeah I said that last weekend. It's a no brainer. No football overlap. An hour would be easy to do. Put the game on the scoreboard, it will be done before tip. But I assume it would have been done by now.

A 7 or 7:30 start would be perfect. Deer district would be hopping and a lot of people have MLK day off. Let’s go Feigen. I assume he can make the call
pifhluk23
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#82 » by pifhluk23 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:15 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Lose to Utah: "This is terrible"

Beat the Celtics: "This is terrible"

Must be enjoyable to watch games with some of you :lol:

Going to a finals game was a top 10 experience of my life, the energy in the building was nuts. I want to go again and this game imo is a detriment to that.

As for the Jordan Love comment, that's completely different. There were no expectations, same with the Cowboys game. Just happy to be in the playoffs.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,533

Post#83 » by RogerMurdock » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:20 pm

Bucks RealGM wins Powerball: "But I'll only get half of it after taxes."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,617

Post#84 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:29 pm

JayMKE wrote:I just can't seamlessly float from "we should fire Griffin for gross incompetence and hire Doc **** Rivers" immediately to thinking everything is going to alright based on one game as others seem to do. I had Griffin clocked game 1 or before as lame duck.

I don't see anyone saying "everything is alright". We're just enjoying an ass kicking over a rival.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,729

Post#85 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:29 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Celtics also apparently didn't get the memo to spam PnR situations for floaters. They got some easy dunks early but did not go to that well nearly enough. They might actually be a favorable matchup for Grief's style. Brown, Tatum, and Jrue get real panicky with the ball when the defender is in their grill.

This was my main takeaway. The ball-pressure and defense playing tight at the perimeter actually caused them problems. Jrue, Tatum and Brown aren't a collection of great ball-handlers and seem to get flustered rather easily with pressure defense. Beasley looked the weakest but even he was at least engaged on that end. Even Dame got into Brown a few times and stayed in front of him. They're not secondary or tertiary playmakers.

Regardless, Boston will adjust and address their depth issues. Question is if this Bucks team will build off of last night and commit more on defense. The communication was surprisingly solid. There were a few instances where our guards got switched onto their bigs in the FT line area, with the bigs coming over to switch and get the guards rotating to weakside help. It was interesting to say the least.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,685

Post#86 » by chonestown » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:29 pm

Look, if you can't celebrate the Celtics eating sht, you probably don't enjoy ice cream, a briskly-paced caper movie or anything else capable of delivering a modicum of joy.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,715

Post#87 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:37 pm

JayMKE wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:So, I missed most of the first half last night. What were the legit takeaways moving forward other than hot shooting?

Player participation policy works, Boston would have 100% rested everybody otherwise.

My guy, they literally rested Porzingis on Wednesday so he'd be 100% for this one.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,761

Post#88 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:41 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Celtics also apparently didn't get the memo to spam PnR situations for floaters. They got some easy dunks early but did not go to that well nearly enough. They might actually be a favorable matchup for Grief's style. Brown, Tatum, and Jrue get real panicky with the ball when the defender is in their grill.

This was my main takeaway. The ball-pressure and defense playing tight at the perimeter actually caused them problems. Jrue, Tatum and Brown aren't a collection of great ball-handlers and seem to get flustered rather easily with pressure defense. Beasley looked the weakest but even he was at least engaged on that end. Even Dame got into Brown a few times and stayed in front of him. They're not secondary or tertiary playmakers.

Regardless, Boston will adjust and address their depth issues. Question is if this Bucks team will build off of last night and commit more on defense. The communication was surprisingly solid. There were a few instances where our guards got switched onto their bigs in the FT line area, with the bigs coming over to switch and get the guards rotating to weakside help. It was interesting to say the least.

I do still worry about how easy it seems for teams to get easy looks at the rim against us. While it wasn't as bad last night, there were still some breakdowns for easy looks at the rim. A good point guard will eat that up, but if the Bucks can lock in and communicate better down the stretch, they may be able to limit it somewhat.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,246

Post#89 » by Sigra » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:45 pm

MickeyDavis wrote: We're just enjoying an ass kicking over a rival.

:beer: :rocking:

CharityStripe34 wrote:The ball-pressure and defense playing tight at the perimeter actually caused them problems....

:wavefinger:

Being happy for win against Cs? :rocking:
Analyse strategies and tactics based on this game? :wavefinger:
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,981

Post#90 » by sidney lanier » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:50 pm

JayMKE wrote:I just can't seamlessly float from "we should fire Griffin for gross incompetence and hire Doc **** Rivers" immediately to thinking everything is going to alright based on one game as others seem to do. I had Griffin clocked game 1 or before as lame duck.

We'll help you through this.

"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,715

Post#91 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:54 pm

Feels like two things can be and probably are true here:

1) The defense is still a trainwreck until proven otherwise, but aggressive hedging and trapping might just work better against a team like Boston given their personnel.

2) This team still has the capacity to just run any opponent off the floor with their historically good offense, and any lineup change or trade shouldn't be sacrificing any of our spacing/offensive firepower just for a modest bump in perimeter defense.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,981

Post#92 » by sidney lanier » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:00 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Feels like two things can be and probably are true here:

1) The defense is still a trainwreck until proven otherwise, but aggressive hedging and trapping might just work better against a team like Boston given their personnel.

2) This team still has the capacity to just run any opponent off the floor with their historically good offense, and any lineup change or trade shouldn't be sacrificing any of our spacing/offensive firepower just for a modest bump in perimeter defense.

I've always been skeptical of the view that defense in basketball requires arcane schemes and complex calculations. What we saw last night was not different in kind from what the Bucks had been doing, but it was a significant difference in degree.

They stayed in front of the guys they were guarding.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,246

Post#93 » by Sigra » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:03 pm

So, coach Grief designed defense to stop Celtics and their 3s. But with that defense we will not be in playoffs long enough to play Celtics

GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,446

Post#94 » by GoldenAntlers » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:07 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
msiris wrote:sell high on Bobby. ;)

You spelled Beasley wrong. AJ Green can provide everything Beas does, plus more, but that isn't what we need from the SG anyway. Sell high on Beas, and then go get what we need.
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but Beas has the BEST 3-pt % in the NBA.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,915

Post#95 » by jschligs » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:14 pm

The crowd was louder than I’ve heard on TV in the 4th when Thanasis was going crazy. Loved it
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,729

Post#96 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:16 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:The ball-pressure and defense playing tight at the perimeter actually caused them problems....

:wavefinger:

Being happy for win against Cs? :rocking:
Analyse strategies and tactics based on this game? :wavefinger:[/quote]

Well, again, I'm not saying last night's game was the secret sauce of success against them in a potential playoff series. But it's something I was also clamoring for in 2022 in that slugfest series. More ball-pressure on Tatum, Brown and Smart and less over-helping on drives which left their shooters wide-ass open all series. Now, obviously, we have to wait and see the players actually commit to such a style (which is taxing on wings/guards) and show consistent improvement and success before even thinking about an ECF series or whatever.

Was fun to beat up Boston, regardless of the B2B.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,606

Post#97 » by JayMKE » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:18 pm

The issue for me ultimately is that I don't buy the Bucks as a legitimate contender playing the kind of defense they play and saying this defense was designed to beat Boston sounds like big time cope since even if that were true we're not likely even going to be playing Boston when the team gives up like 150ppg to the Pacers. Maybe the switch has been flipped but I doubt it.
FREE GIANNIS
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,416

Post#98 » by MiltownHawkeye » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:43 pm

It was very fun seeing us literally run the "greatest starting 5 of all-time" off the floor. Also seeing us get out scrubs on the floor in garbage time, the crowd cheering for Thanasis running into people, etc is awesome because it felt like we had a ton of games like that in the Bud era and like none this year. I wasn't cheering for a loss at any point and stated my reasons why.

That said I don't blame people for not being super excited for what this game means in the big picture. I don't think hoping our opponents come out with zero energy and give up halfway through is sustainable. There's an interesting point to be made about how Griffin's defense might actually make sense against Boston but taking this as a sign he's figuring things out seems like it will age poorly just like it did when we were rolling and Griffin was getting a pass.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,866

Post#99 » by Prez » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:51 pm

Dog walking the Celtics is fun even if the longer term effects (sticking with Griffin) aren’t great.

Coaching change is probs not happening so just gotta enjoy the wins and hope Horst can make the necessary roster tweaks to get us closer to whatever it is Griffin needs so dominant performances like this aren’t an outlier.

Again if Horst can steal Caruso for like Pat/MarJon/POR 2nd we’d **** merk teams. Not sure who the next guy would be though if/when Chicago says no.
PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,553

Post#100 » by PG Graveyard » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:55 pm

Listening to the national media you would think Boston stormed the beaches of Normandy Wednesday night instead of playing a tough OT bball game against a good Wolves team (also on a back 2 back…they didn’t die though). It’s ok to give the Bucks a little credit. That game meant a lot to us and we came out with focus and energy. Now can we build off of this?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks