ImageImage

PG: Bucks Win 15th Straight over Kings

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,627

Re: PG: Bucks Win 15th Straight over Kings 

Post#221 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:27 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:Very interesting that the Bucks can decide to play defense when they truly want, as demonstrated by the clutch stats. Makes you wonder if the defense will improve in the playoffs simply because they will try harder and concentrate

My only cope with that is that maybe the refs swallowing their whistles in the playoffs will allow Griff’s d to work better? some soft D teams have stepped it up in the playoffs in recent years
FREE GIANNIS
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,123

Post#222 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:33 pm

Milbucks96 wrote:I pretty much roll my eyes at clutch stats. I do believe we have a close game advantage over most teams because we have an elite shot creator in Dame, a very good one in Khris, and Giannis isn’t a threat away from the basket but he’s elite at putting the ball in the hoop. I just think the best teams handle business most games and the regular season clutch stuff is whatever.

Obviously the Dame shot was more clutch/luck, but I feel the regular season 'clutch' stats is more of good teams flipping a switch in the last X-Minutes to seal the game. Whereas, playoffs you have 2 more evenly matched teams playing hard the whole game and it is more big shots that I would actually consider clutch.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,949

Post#223 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:52 pm

The clutch stuff is both a reason why people should probably stop with the hyperbolic statements like "we're not winning a title with this coaching staff", but also a reason for why it's ok to be annoyed with how garbage the defense looks and why we shouldn't constantly need to "flip the switch" in the last 5-minutes of the 4th quarter in the first place. Like, we also flipped the switch in the playoffs under Bud (2021 and 2022 playoffs anyone?), but that doesn't mean you need to have a **** defense throughout the regular season.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,516

Post#224 » by GoldenAntlers » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:07 pm

Baddy doesn't mean what it used to.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 10,000

Post#225 » by sidney lanier » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:11 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:The clutch stuff is both a reason why people should probably stop with the hyperbolic statements like "we're not winning a title with this coaching staff", but also a reason for why it's ok to be annoyed with how garbage the defense looks and why we shouldn't constantly need to "flip the switch" in the last 5-minutes of the 4th quarter in the first place. Like, we also flipped the switch in the playoffs under Bud (2021 and 2022 playoffs anyone?), but that doesn't mean you need to have a **** defense throughout the regular season.

I have no problem with some coasting on defense, especially when playing a fast-paced game that requires a lot of energy on offense. Does anyone here think experienced players like Dame and Khris forget how to defend in the first half of a game in January and then remember later? I think they knew it all the time but are parceling out their energy in ways that make sense.

Old man reminiscence: back in the early 1960s, Wilt Chamberlain, who rarely came out of games and in one season AVERAGED over 48 minutes a game, frequently didn't even bother to leave the offensive end of the court, let the other four play defense, and waited for the action to return to him. You can't do everything.

And if you think I typed AVERAGED OVER 48 MINUTES A GAME wrong, look it up.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,789

Post#226 » by Wonka » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:23 pm

nagawicka wrote:
Wonka wrote:
tydett wrote:
I've had plenty of "leaders" who quote a line from Brene Brown who are miserable leaders. Being able to read one of her books or listen to a TEDtalk does not impress me.

I just googled a couple of Brene Brown quotes and now I’m a leader! Who knew??

Guess what? They don't hand out PhDs for Googling a quote and posturing at the Comedy Cellar so

Is it still your perspective that because he name dropped Brene Brown, that he’s now a leader with an understanding of coaching and personnel nuance? Because that’s a lot dumber to believe in than any little joke I made.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,936

Post#227 » by tydett » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:26 pm

To be clear, I have never heard Griffin say anything related to Brene Brown nor heard him quote her - her writings are just very en vogue with academia vis-a-vis leadership right now. It was a bad joke about how Griffin seems to be terrible at everything when it comes to being a basketball coach, but at least he has a PhD in leadership.

Didn't mean to offend people's sensibilities about Brene Brown, nor be too mean spirited about her, when I think she actually has a great story and is quite introspective.
Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,789

Post#228 » by Wonka » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:29 pm

nagawicka wrote:
tydett wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Anyone who quotes Brene Brown is honestly top of the line in my book. This tells me he understand self-reflection, growth, and utilizes therapy.

That is impressive if he truly understands Brene Brown.

I've had plenty of "leaders" who quote a line from Brene Brown who are miserable leaders. Being able to read one of her books or listen to a TEDtalk does not impress me.

Yet the probability remains very strong that someone who reads her books is likely to learn and apply her insights. Because 100% of those who DON'T read her books grasp exactly 0 (zero) of her message.

Didn’t know we had Brene Brown on the forum! Do you have a discount code for your newest, Ms. Brown?
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,221

Post#229 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:35 pm

nagawicka wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:
You obviously missed the Epicurus/Stotts era. :D

And I'm really not that strong on Griffin. I do like him, I think he's won the locker room over, he seems engaged and knowledgeable, and most importantly he seems to be overseeing steady improvement.

What drives me to long irrelevant posts are what to me appear to be unfair criticisms based on long-held opinions spouted as though they were facts.

What makes you think he's won the locker room over? I would say with the info and leaks so far that the opposite were true. You have a coach straight up quitting, Bobbys thing in Vegas, then it being intentionally leaked after, Dame looking frustrated AF and then leaving the team for a bit, Giannis openly calling out the team/coaches publicly, Dame openly complaining about his role, etc.

Though, I do grant the response from last Monday-ish to now is a positive sign to the locker room not being completely lost and maybe that bad spell got them to come together a bit. I'd grant the response from then until now is a good sign on this topic. But prior to the Bos game I have no idea how anyone could think that, it seemed there was about to be the players pushing him out.

The whole 'he's lost the locker room' schtick was so overwrought, with attending fans reading into team convos whatever they rillyrilly want to believe to be true, when ya can't always tell just by looking. No one knows the inside scoop. Exhibit A: Some Bvllsh|t = posts by 'Bucks2226'(?) presuming to claim that 'Dame is done' 'Dame has had it.' The End. Those posts were taken down. And what basis exactly permitted the claim? No one knows. Some folks like Dame are just unreadable. What's poison to the culture is running around making the worst possible claims without much evidence at all about people's mindsets, internal relations, coaching/FO game planning/ agenda/ awareness. Some infos just not available.

Wait, but you know? We're all stupid and can't know but you do know that its not?

Of course we don't know for sure. Why I used some kind of lines about as much as idiots like us on the internet can see. But as folks who've watched sports forever, the stuff that's been happening here are often the precursors to the issues being discussed. Its not like the posters discussing it are making things up out of thin air. I gave a whole list of stuff that goes down this track which are not made up bs out of thin air. All that type of info are 'smoke' that starts getting out prior to the fire. Sometimes it is overblown bs, players venting, etc or the coach/team makes adjustments and overcomes. Which, hopefully is what happened here with the clear positive efforts since the low point. But to just handwave and say "none of that matters because I said so" is off too. We of course don't "know" anything for sure as idiots on the internet. But things like that happening so quickly are concerns. You can of course think "no big deal, its all bs" if you want but these are the type of things that happen prior to "losing the locker room" type situations. But like I said the whole time, been all positive signs since that low point, hopefully they hit their bottom and came together and it goes great from here.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,663

Post#230 » by -Jragon- » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:14 pm

emunney wrote:
-Jragon- wrote:
emunney wrote:
It's not that hard to think about. The midrange assassin playing with the guy who gets double teamed as soon as he crosses half court and the guy who brings the entire defense to the paint when he touches the FT line. Khris gets exactly what he wants with very little resistance.

In theory that should work. If Khris chooses to attack 1v1 on closeouts or from a high post on 1-2 dribbles -- it works. If he demands the ball from Dame's hands when they are both in, it doesn't. If he dribbles through traffic, it doesn't. If we had a coach or player that could tell him to stop, it could. If he made a good decision and chose to stop it could, he hasn't. So point to to your watch in street clothes all you want but if you don't buy in to what you watched and let it happen when you are in then you can go somewhere else -- your defense has been killing us for a couple years anyways.

And no I don't care about your Net regular season BS stats because 80% of those teams won't even be in the playoffs. We know what Indy, Miami and Boston can do to Khris on defense.. $hit, he made his 6-2 PG cover his man last year in our a$$ whooping - what was our Net rating that series, genious? You think it can't happen again? The least you can do is adapt your damn game to not needing the ball in your hand and take it out of a legend point guard's hands. How selfish do you have to be to take the ball from a future hall of fame PG and he watches you kick it off your foot? Let him and Giannis find you in your favorite spots when they need you and spend more of your energy bending your knees on defense.

It's not an agenda; we will suffer the same fate as last year if something doesn't change. This issue, the roster, the coaching or some combo of the three.

In theory it should work; in practice it does work. But on the other hand: a bunch of made-up bad stuff.

Bucks' net rating was TWENTY NINE points better with Khris on vs off against the Heat. In theory, it would have been easier to look this up than to type all that.

Please stop calling me a genius. Nobody will believe you.

Woahhh!!! +29?? Does that mean we get the trophy now? Or do we get swept again vs one of them? I think teams early in a game might let BaddyMcStupiddribbleton bring it up without a trap just to lure him into thinking it will work down 3 with 3 min left and they'll blitz him and get easy dunks at the end of the game to break our spirit. There's no stat for that accept we lose and you guys seem surprised every time.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,021

Post#231 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm

tydett wrote:To be clear, I have never heard Griffin say anything related to Brene Brown nor heard him quote her - her writings are just very en vogue with academia vis-a-vis leadership right now. It was a bad joke about how Griffin seems to be terrible at everything when it comes to being a basketball coach, but at least he has a PhD in leadership.

Didn't mean to offend people's sensibilities about Brene Brown, nor be too mean spirited about her, when I think she actually has a great story and is quite introspective.

It wasn't a bad joke, just a joke. Overreacting is common here.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
-Jragon-
Head Coach

Post#232 » by -Jragon- » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:07 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:Baddy doesn't mean what it used to.

The nicknames when we sucked were unmatched.

Bucket of a$$
BaddyMcChuckersonMcNoBrains

There was just more rage behind it back then
-Jragon-
Head Coach

Post#233 » by -Jragon- » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:13 pm

When teams played against Brett Favre coaches would say, 'he'll throw a couple up for grabs you just have to catch them.' And most playoff games ended with a Favre pick.

I feel like McDribbleton is similar.. 'hey guys, if the game is close at the end and KM brings it up here's the trap we'll use -- Indy has this move down.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,873

Post#234 » by emunney » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:29 pm

midranger wrote:I am willing to believe you’re a genious, though.

Ah the King's Spellinge.

At my best I'm genial. Everyone here's seen me at my worst.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,911

Post#235 » by Dick Tate » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:37 pm

-Jragon- wrote:When teams played against Brett Favre coaches would say, 'he'll throw a couple up for grabs you just have to catch them.' And most playoff games ended with a Favre pick.

I feel like McDribbleton is similar.. 'hey guys, if the game is close at the end and KM brings it up here's the trap we'll use -- Indy has this move down.

Good thing the Pacers won't be among the 20% of teams making the playoffs. :eek1:
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,502

Post#236 » by HKPackFan » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:12 pm

I have to complain the thread title was crap.

I have been missing games due to travel lately and I check the thread title.

If the thread title makes it sounds like the game was **** I don't even bother watching the replay.

If the thread title is good I watch the 40 minutes version on the NBA app.

The thread title looked like a run of the mill win. So I ignored it.

Then a day later I see a dametime post on IG and I'm like... Wait!? He did it again!??.

That was some must see mfing TV!

I finally watched it coz of IG. I would have missed that incredible finish. Ya they had a lot of sucking going on but OMG dame time. Unbelievable.

But cmon man the thread title was poor work man, I know it's a b2b but Power through man!
#FreeChuckDiesel
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#237 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:31 pm

I've never seen a Bucks team that closes so well. Getting in lots of playoff reps. I've my reservations about Griff, but after watching the Boston game it's clear we have another gear.

It's hard to watch Griff do weird things but it is only the regular season.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,122

Post#238 » by theFireBlanket » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:40 pm

DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks