OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,119

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#281 » by MissKhriddleton » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:21 pm

chonestown wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I've got a rack of dumbells, a bench, and I'm looking for a full body workout program. I'm hopping on a stationary bike a few times a week, but I'd like to put the weights and bench to use. Fat loss would be the goal.

Any one of you greek gods and fitness wonders wanna set me on a good path?

deadlift

What do you recommend for sets/reps when deadlifting? I’ve been doing deadlifts every other workout so 2 or 3 times per week on average. I started at a weight I could do 3x8 and then worked my way up to 3x12 before upping the weight. Is this too much?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,767

Post#282 » by emunney » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:05 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
chonestown wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I've got a rack of dumbells, a bench, and I'm looking for a full body workout program. I'm hopping on a stationary bike a few times a week, but I'd like to put the weights and bench to use. Fat loss would be the goal.

deadlift

What do you recommend for sets/reps when deadlifting? I’ve been doing deadlifts every other workout so 2 or 3 times per week on average. I started at a weight I could do 3x8 and then worked my way up to 3x12 before upping the weight. Is this too much?

Depends on what you're after. I would keep it in the 6-8 range and drop to 2 sets if I was trying to get stronger. If you can do 8 on both sets, up the weight.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,681

Post#283 » by chonestown » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:11 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
chonestown wrote:

deadlift

3 x 5. Deadlift doesn't benefit from high reps. High reps will help with grip strength and grip strength is one of the undersung practical everyday benefits to lifting, but deads are better with low reps. Higher reps allow more opportunities for your form to deterioriate. Bad form did my back in in a big way.

You don't have to work out to failure. Get 5 good reps a set that challenge you but that you can still do.

The other overlooked thing with deads is it can be taxing on your CNS (central nervous system). Mental fatigue is real and deads require concentration. But the big thing is incorporating them regularly in workouts and you're doing that. Deads 2x a a week is probably good. Need to allow for recovery, too.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#284 » by BUCKnation » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:06 pm

I stopped doing deads when strained my back, now I just stick to squats and bench with accessories.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#285 » by stellation » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:45 pm

chonestown wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:
chonestown wrote:deadlift

3 x 5. Deadlift doesn't benefit from high reps. High reps will help with grip strength and grip strength is one of the undersung practical everyday benefits to lifting, but deads are better with low reps. Higher reps allow more opportunities for your form to deterioriate. Bad form did my back in in a big way.

You don't have to work out to failure. Get 5 good reps a set that challenge you but that you can still do.

The other overlooked thing with deads is it can be taxing on your CNS (central nervous system). Mental fatigue is real and deads require concentration. But the big thing is incorporating them regularly in workouts and you're doing that. Deads 2x a a week is probably good. Need to allow for recovery, too.

Chonesy being asked their opinion, providing it and NOT finishing with a clarifying .imo is wild.
#FreeChuckDiesel
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,681

Post#286 » by chonestown » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 pm

stellation wrote:
chonestown wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:What do you recommend for sets/reps when deadlifting? I’ve been doing deadlifts every other workout so 2 or 3 times per week on average. I started at a weight I could do 3x8 and then worked my way up to 3x12 before upping the weight. Is this too much?

Chonesy being asked their opinion, providing it and NOT finishing with a clarifying .imo is wild.

You can't spell "Grip It and Rip It" with "imo."imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,522

Post#287 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:57 pm

Today starts my annual First Day of Spring, Let's Get Healthy. I try to eat decent and workout year round but once fall comes so does football a few days a week with associated bad food choices. And winter with lots of staying inside. But now I get more serious. Always a healthy breakfast (oatmeal with blueberries, blackberries, banana, flax seed), healthy snacks (apples, carrots), and a reasonable dinner. Pilates, bike, hiking, stairs, weights/resistance bands. Little to no booze or soft drinks. Lots of water.

It's tough with March Madness starting but I'll muddle through it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#288 » by Mags FTW » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:58 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Today starts my annual First Day of Spring, Let's Get Healthy. I try to eat decent and workout year round but once fall comes so does football a few days a week with associated bad food choices. And winter with lots of staying inside. But now I get more serious. Always a healthy breakfast (oatmeal with blueberries, blackberries, banana, flax seed), healthy snacks (apples, carrots), and a reasonable dinner. Pilates, bike, hiking, stairs, weights/resistance bands. Little to no booze or soft drinks. Lots of water.

Right after the Super Bowl I kind of accidentally started Keto by deciding to kick sugar. Limiting myself to 20 grams a day, along with only 50 grams of carbs. Haven't started a serious exercise routine yet, but have still lost about 5 lbs. Getting a little easier each day. Finally got used to coffee with no sweetener, unsweetened dark chocolate, and Cherry Coke Zero.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#289 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:52 pm

Wisconsin v Ohio State for the women's hockey title tomorrow @ 3p CT on ESPNU. We're 1-3 against them this year, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the matchup.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#290 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 pm

New meme just dropped.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,119

Post#291 » by MissKhriddleton » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:07 am

Anyone know anything about Detroit and where to stay? Going to be there for a few nights, planning on going to one of the Brewer games.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,376

Post#292 » by MoreTrife » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 am

What a bazooka strike from Tyler Adams right before half!
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,399

Post#293 » by trwi7 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:07 am

Love that I have to watch USA vs Mexico in Spanish on a channel that I had to look hard to find and had the wrong listing in the guide so it took even longer.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#294 » by trwi7 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:11 am

Those BK have it your way commercials in Spanish made it all worth it though. They're bad commercials when they sort of rhyme in English, they are horrible in Spanish lmao.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#295 » by Jez2983 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:35 am

Mags FTW wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Today starts my annual First Day of Spring, Let's Get Healthy. I try to eat decent and workout year round but once fall comes so does football a few days a week with associated bad food choices. And winter with lots of staying inside. But now I get more serious. Always a healthy breakfast (oatmeal with blueberries, blackberries, banana, flax seed), healthy snacks (apples, carrots), and a reasonable dinner. Pilates, bike, hiking, stairs, weights/resistance bands. Little to no booze or soft drinks. Lots of water.

Right after the Super Bowl I kind of accidentally started Keto by deciding to kick sugar. Limiting myself to 20 grams a day, along with only 50 grams of carbs. Haven't started a serious exercise routine yet, but have still lost about 5 lbs. Getting a little easier each day. Finally got used to coffee with no sweetener, unsweetened dark chocolate, and Cherry Coke Zero.

I was listening to something recently that was saying artificial sweeteners still lead to increased insulin production, even without actual glucose. It makes it bloody hard sometimes. (I think Huberman podcast?)

That said, you're off to a great start, keep it up!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#296 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:37 am

trwi7 wrote:Those BK have it your way commercials in Spanish made it all worth it though. They're bad commercials when they sort of rhyme in English, they are horrible in Spanish lmao.

I've been fed spanish ads on Hulu and my podcasts lately. I have no idea what my phone is picking up to make the advertising overlords think I'll understand any of it.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#297 » by trwi7 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Those BK have it your way commercials in Spanish made it all worth it though. They're bad commercials when they sort of rhyme in English, they are horrible in Spanish lmao.

I've been fed spanish ads on Hulu and my podcasts lately. I have no idea what my phone is picking up to make the advertising overlords think I'll understand any of it.

Would actually probably prefer Spanish announcers if I understood what they were saying. If they say a number 1-10 or a player's name, I understand. If not, I have zero clue.

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#298 » by BUCKnation » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:43 am

Took too long to find it but the game was also on paramount+. That was a pretty easy win with a couple nice goals.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,055

Post#299 » by Siefer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:06 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Right after the Super Bowl I kind of accidentally started Keto by deciding to kick sugar. Limiting myself to 20 grams a day, along with only 50 grams of carbs. Haven't started a serious exercise routine yet, but have still lost about 5 lbs. Getting a little easier each day. Finally got used to coffee with no sweetener, unsweetened dark chocolate, and Cherry Coke Zero.

I'm sorry, unsweetened dark chocolate?
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#300 » by Mags FTW » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:30 pm

Siefer wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Right after the Super Bowl I kind of accidentally started Keto by deciding to kick sugar. Limiting myself to 20 grams a day, along with only 50 grams of carbs. Haven't started a serious exercise routine yet, but have still lost about 5 lbs. Getting a little easier each day. Finally got used to coffee with no sweetener, unsweetened dark chocolate, and Cherry Coke Zero.

I'm sorry, unsweetened dark chocolate?

Yeah, there is this company that makes some of them. Like a candy bar with 0 grams of sugar.

https://eatingevolved.com/

Return to Milwaukee Bucks