ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,678

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#261 » by chonestown » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:06 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I've got a rack of dumbells, a bench, and I'm looking for a full body workout program. I'm hopping on a stationary bike a few times a week, but I'd like to put the weights and bench to use. Fat loss would be the goal.

Any one of you greek gods and fitness wonders wanna set me on a good path?

Fat loss is going to be largely dependent on diet and activity. You can't out-exercise dietary intake.

What lifting can do is help assist calorie burn and help you feel better.

I subscribe to the 80-20 model of lifting, as in 20% of the work is responsible for 80% of the results. This means bench press and at least one of squat and deadlift. The biggest muscles in your body are found in your legs, chest and back. If you have a pull-up bar, get familiar with it. Dips are great. Pull-ups, dips and any sort of overhead press will inevitably help with core strength as well.

There's variations for each lift and you can always switch up rep and set schemes. I wouldn't get concerned about it. Worry more about carving aside some time for each session and finding something you can stick to. You're better off working out for 45 min 4x/week, then once per week for 3 hours.

I'm a big advocate of yoga as well and it is easily something you can do on your own. Biggest challenge is doing it at a regular time. I start every day during the week with half an hour. Yoga is nothing more than the combination of stretching and breathing. It will help with strength and it will lengthen muscles. I feel better in control of my body. It's something I'll do for the rest of my life. Instead of resting and doing nothing between lifting set, I'll do a series of stretches. Allows me to knock out two things at once.

Ask a Swole Woman/She's a Beast has proved to be a good resource for what I refer to as lifting that matters, exercise that positively impacts your daily life.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ColeWorld23
Sixth Man
And1: 684

Post#262 » by ColeWorld23 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:33 pm

chonestown wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I've got a rack of dumbells, a bench, and I'm looking for a full body workout program. I'm hopping on a stationary bike a few times a week, but I'd like to put the weights and bench to use. Fat loss would be the goal.

Any one of you greek gods and fitness wonders wanna set me on a good path?

Fat loss is going to be largely dependent on diet and activity. You can't out-exercise dietary intake.

What lifting can do is help assist calorie burn and help you feel better.

I subscribe to the 80-20 model of lifting, as in 20% of the work is responsible for 80% of the results. This means bench press and at least one of squat and deadlift. The biggest muscles in your body are found in your legs, chest and back. If you have a pull-up bar, get familiar with it. Dips are great. Pull-ups, dips and any sort of overhead press will inevitably help with core strength as well.

There's variations for each lift and you can always switch up rep and set schemes. I wouldn't get concerned about it. Worry more about carving aside some time for each session and finding something you can stick to. You're better off working out for 45 min 4x/week, then once per week for 3 hours.

I'm a big advocate of yoga as well and it is easily something you can do on your own. Biggest challenge is doing it at a regular time. I start every day during the week with half an hour. Yoga is nothing more than the combination of stretching and breathing. It will help with strength and it will lengthen muscles. I feel better in control of my body. It's something I'll do for the rest of my life. Instead of resting and doing nothing between lifting set, I'll do a series of stretches. Allows me to knock out two things at once.

Ask a Swole Woman has proved to be a good resource for what I refer to as lifting that matters, exercise that positively impacts your daily life.

The ultimate life health gem right here
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,173

Post#263 » by DingleJerry » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:36 pm

To the brief HS basketball talk above and the private schools. So far 6 of the 8 team to make the championship are private, when they make up less than 15% of the schools. D1 is yet to be played, 1 of 4 teams left is private but D1 is the one where its not really part of the conversation/issue. The issue being privates play down and of course there is no 'down' in D1.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,518

Post#264 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:09 am

Badger STH get tickets to the high school tournament games. Division 1 semis tonight, like lots of empty prime seats. Dumb. First game went to 4 OT. Second game is good too.

Maybe those "fans" will show up tomorrow night.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,398

Post#265 » by trwi7 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:44 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Badger STH get tickets to the high school tournament games. Division 1 semis tonight, like lots of empty prime seats. Dumb. First game went to 4 OT. Second game is good too.

If you didn't go to a school that was playing, why would you go? Like, who gives a ****? Hell, I went to one of the schools that played last night and two of my favorite teachers are on the coaching staff and I could barely be bothered to pick up the remote to change the channel every once in a while to see the score.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,518

Post#266 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:00 pm

trwi7 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Badger STH get tickets to the high school tournament games. Division 1 semis tonight, like lots of empty prime seats. Dumb. First game went to 4 OT. Second game is good too.

If you didn't go to a school that was playing, why would you go? Like, who gives a ****? Hell, I went to one of the schools that played last night and two of my favorite teachers are on the coaching staff and I could barely be bothered to pick up the remote to change the channel every once in a while to see the score.

Right. Fans of the teams get nosebleed seats while tons of good seats are empty. They should allow the real fans to move down.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,398

Post#267 » by trwi7 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Right. Fans of the teams get nosebleed seats while tons of good seats are empty. They should allow the real fans to move down.

Ok that's fine but why are you blaming Badger STH? Like I said, my school is in state and I barely cared enough to change the channel to see the score despite a rooting interest for two of my favorite teachers who are coaches on the basketball team. If I barely care enough to change the channel, why would STH care enough to actually go down there and watch?

Don't blame the STH, blame the WIAA and Badger athletic department for allowing it to happen.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,686

Post#268 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:39 am

jschligs wrote:I lost my best friend yesterday. My heart is heavy. I'm broken. I was talking to him no less than 12 hours before I heard the news. He was only 33. We talked every day. We gamed every night. We golfed all summer and went to Bucks games together all winter. I'm an absolute wreck. I honestly don't know why I'm posting it here I just needed to speak about it. I can't stop crying.

Damn, I'm so sorry j. Grief is always a long process for me, but losing my best friend would be extraordinarily difficult. Give yourself the grace to go through the process at the pace you need.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,070

Post#269 » by humanrefutation » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:36 am

jschligs wrote:I lost my best friend yesterday. My heart is heavy. I'm broken. I was talking to him no less than 12 hours before I heard the news. He was only 33. We talked every day. We gamed every night. We golfed all summer and went to Bucks games together all winter. I'm an absolute wreck. I honestly don't know why I'm posting it here I just needed to speak about it. I can't stop crying.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, man. That's terrible news. May his memory be a blessing to you and to all who knew and loved him.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#270 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:17 pm

I think most agree so this is not novel, but it really is incredible how much easier it is on your body to travel West than it is to travel East.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#271 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:05 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I think most agree so this is not novel, but it really is incredible how much easier it is on your body to travel West than it is to travel East.

My parents have been in New Zealand, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, and god knows where else over the last two months. They get in to Minneapolis at 5:30 in the morning tomorrow. I imagine it's going to be brutal on them for a few days.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#272 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I think most agree so this is not novel, but it really is incredible how much easier it is on your body to travel West than it is to travel East.

My parents have been in New Zealand, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, and god knows where else over the last two months. They get in to Minneapolis at 5:30 in the morning tomorrow. I imagine it's going to be brutal on them for a few days.

Two months probably gave their bodies more time to fully adjust to other time zones, making the comeback rougher. They're also even further into total-opposite time zones than we were. Sounds like an amazing trip though!
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,905

Post#273 » by jschligs » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:40 am

Figured I'd write for a bit today, it seems to help to update friends that are strangers. For whatever reason. The autopsy was relatively inconclusive. Ruled out heart attack, OD, and suicide. Which did bring some relief. Likely his heart stopped, he was positive for COVID but who knows. Parents are unsure if they'll do a further autopsy. We did a big group discord on Wednesday. Drank captain and coke in his honor, talked, cried, laughed. We went to our weekly bowling night Thursday as a group and some others. Obviously, it was heartbreaking, but a good reminder we all have each other. We moved him out of his duplex with his roommate, some friends and his family. He collected an enormous amount of Amiibos and Pokemon cards, among other things. The day was surreal. His parents appreciated the help, but more being able to hear stories they otherwise would've never heard. He was a special guy.

The days are easier, but the moments still come. Like right now I'm just bawling. But I'm doing my best to be present in my families and friends lives. Grieving is fine, but I don't want it to consume me. Life is strange. Everything was normal a week ago. Literally at this time I was talking to him about the Oscars.

But I wanted to also thank all of you for the support. As I said, I don't know any of you personally, but this board is a community and it's been incredibly important to me to have another outlet and support system. We're all weird, but we're all good people. I'm grateful for all of you even when we argue over pointless Bucks topics or what cheese is the best. Love you all.

jschligs
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#274 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:28 pm

jschligs wrote:Figured I'd write for a bit today, it seems to help to update friends that are strangers...

First off, very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you two experienced a wonderful friendship.

Only jumping on here to say that it "seems to help to update friends" because processing your emotions and naming your grief is really important. I encourage you to continue to talk about your friend, and to continue to acknowledge the loss.

They say that losing a loved one is like losing a limb or a foot, sadly too many people refuse to admit anything changed. Grieving people who refuse to give time and words to their grief are like a one armed man trying to open a jar, and but they get angry at everyone who is watching them struggle.

Again, sorry for your loss, It appears to me you are facing this really well. But its awful. It really hurts. You will feel it for a really long time. I'm glad you have multiple places to go to express all you are going through.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#275 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:11 pm

I am 2/2 (0/2?) on Europe >> Covid :angry:
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Post#276 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:46 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I am 2/2 (0/2?) on Europe >> Covid :angry:

Before you left / having to cancel flight, once you were there or coming back? Sucks with any of the options.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#277 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:59 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I am 2/2 (0/2?) on Europe >> Covid :angry:

Before you left / having to cancel flight, once you were there or coming back? Sucks with any of the options.

Back, thankfully. Last time I tested positive on the second week of a trip to London, and it was in 2022 when things were at least a bit more restrictive than they are now, so I was isolating in a hotel room for the final four days (and missed going to a Wimbledon tour :( ). So at least this time I'm home.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#278 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:28 pm

Welp. Got that gout.

I went to urgent care a few weeks ago because I had bad ankle pain for a couple days and rest and elevation wasn't helping. I legit thought I broke it. But almost immediately upon seeing nurse I knew I had the gout. Drinking, diet...it just made sense.

Been on a med since and I just kinda hoped it would get better. I didn't change much about the diet except the drinking.

Last night it starts to get bad again. Today it hurts like a son of a bitch. I finally take it seriously and look up what I should and shouldn't eat. Then I laugh, because what I ate yesterday was so awful for me. Like, it couldn't have been worse. Not supposed to eat bad fatty foods, sugary foods, or shellfish. But I made myself a lobster roll and kettle chips for lunch, a copycat shamrock shake, and washed it all down at night with a 32 oz Powerade. Really paying for it today.

So, today I cleaned out my fridge, freezer, and pantry of a lot of stuff I shouldn't eat or drink. I went shopping a picked out a lot of whole grains, berries, pineapple, tomatoes and garlic, and tart cherry juice. Some chicken breast and chicken sausage. I have hundreds of edibles I'm finally gonna reach for at night instead of cocktails.

I'm incredibly bummed, but I hate pain a lot more than I do eating and drinking unhealthily.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,736

Post#279 » by AussieBuck » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm

jschligs wrote:Figured I'd write for a bit today, it seems to help to update friends that are strangers. For whatever reason. The autopsy was relatively inconclusive. Ruled out heart attack, OD, and suicide. Which did bring some relief. Likely his heart stopped, he was positive for COVID but who knows. Parents are unsure if they'll do a further autopsy. We did a big group discord on Wednesday. Drank captain and coke in his honor, talked, cried, laughed. We went to our weekly bowling night Thursday as a group and some others. Obviously, it was heartbreaking, but a good reminder we all have each other. We moved him out of his duplex with his roommate, some friends and his family. He collected an enormous amount of Amiibos and Pokemon cards, among other things. The day was surreal. His parents appreciated the help, but more being able to hear stories they otherwise would've never heard. He was a special guy.

The days are easier, but the moments still come. Like right now I'm just bawling. But I'm doing my best to be present in my families and friends lives. Grieving is fine, but I don't want it to consume me. Life is strange. Everything was normal a week ago. Literally at this time I was talking to him about the Oscars.

But I wanted to also thank all of you for the support. As I said, I don't know any of you personally, but this board is a community and it's been incredibly important to me to have another outlet and support system. We're all weird, but we're all good people. I'm grateful for all of you even when we argue over pointless Bucks topics or what cheese is the best. Love you all.

jschligs

I think its ok to fit in some time to let it consume you. I think, **** if I know, I'm pretty good now a little three years after losing mum but **** was it a journey.

Keep using this as a diary or sounding wall or whatever. Got to keep releasing the pressure on that valve of feels or whatever it is.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#280 » by crkone » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Interesting idea

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |