ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#201 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 pm

Update from my job/commute post from last week. They made a strong offer and I'm going to take it. I likely would have regardless because it's really good for career growth but I also had some client **** go down at my current gig that made it an easier decision.

Now it's time to go update my wardrobe. Any suggestions on good dress shoe brands? Looking something quality but trying to stay under like $400.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,759

Post#202 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Just survived a re-org where about half my department got laid off, including my team lead. Running through the gamut of emotions about the whole thing.

Had this a couple months ago; needed to push through the survivor's guilt. Someone here said something to the effect of 'you're still there for a reason,' and I'm not sure that's true, but it helped to try and remind myself of that.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,351

Post#203 » by jute2003 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Update from my job/commute post from last week. They made a strong offer and I'm going to take it. I likely would have regardless because it's really good for career growth but I also had some client **** go down at my current gig that made it an easier decision.

Now it's time to go update my wardrobe. Any suggestions on good dress shoe brands? Looking something quality but trying to stay under like $400.

Cole Hahn are pretty good and well under your limit
only a fan, only an opinion
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,759

Post#204 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 am

I have several pairs of Johnston & Murphy in the ~ $150-200 range. I'm a repeat customer because of how comfortable they are without totally breaking the bank.

If you're cool spending up to $500 though, I'd recommend going to a nice shoe store or even cobbler. I always wanted to get some custom-fit dress shoes when I worked in an office...I just have no need to now.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#205 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:22 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Update from my job/commute post from last week. They made a strong offer and I'm going to take it. I likely would have regardless because it's really good for career growth but I also had some client **** go down at my current gig that made it an easier decision.

Style is personal. If you’re talking work dress shoes I’d peruse the shoe bank at Allen Edmonds. Their seconds have minor cosmetic flaws and offer great value. I’m too into classics for their more recent offerings but to each their own. They will recraft your shoes as well. I get roughly 10-15 years out my AEs.

Beckett Simonon are slightly lower quality and cheaper but goodyear welted (more durable and you can re-sole them).

Rancourt makes great boots, mocs, loafers. Obviously more casual.

Cheers!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#206 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:41 am

Iheartfootball wrote:

Style is personal. If you’re talking work dress shoes I’d peruse the shoe bank at Allen Edmonds. Their seconds have minor cosmetic flaws and offer great value. I’m too into classics for their more recent offerings but to each their own. They will recraft your shoes as well. I get roughly 10-15 years out my AEs.

Beckett Simonon are slightly lower quality and cheaper but goodyear welted (more durable and you can re-sole them).

Rancourt makes great boots, mocs, loafers. Obviously more casual.

Cheers!
Thanks! Actually went out and tried on some different shoes today and I think I'm going with Allen Edmonds. The dark chilli boulevard caps are on sale for $250 and might be the choice.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,199

Post#207 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:00 am

This conversation makes me smile knowing that I have single handedly destroyed the dress code at both a startup, and at a publicly traded company that has been around since before WW1.

You hire me and you hire jeans, hoodies, and sneakers.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#208 » by jschligs » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:09 pm

I'm a firm believer in good customer support/service, and the impact it can have on customers thoughts towards a brand. I've never been partial to any shower/faucet/toilet brand, but had an issue with our Kohler shower head and then hose. They've been incredible to work with and will get my business moving forward whenever I need it.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,303

Post#209 » by RiotPunch » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:11 am

Has anyone experienced an adult dog developing separation anxiety issues? Since covid, until recently, our 8 year old has gotten used to one of myself or the wife being at the apartment practically around the clock. Recently, after taking a new job, she has to spend three days a week at home for longer stretches at a time. She really earned our trust as a young dog that she could handle being alone for stretches and be a good girl. She has become destructive with a very specific couch cushion lately and I'm at my wit's end. She gets big walks before and after work, our neighbor that works remote (and has her two corgi buddies) let's her out midday, and she even gets a little play sesh with her pals. We started giving her CBD, which seemed to work until tonight when she went back after it, ripping through blankets to get to the sweet spot. Working on replacing the cushion and incorporating lick pads, but just curious what others have had success with. She is the sweetest girl, I really hate reprimanding her.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,841

Post#210 » by TroyD92 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:29 am

Damn y’all dress up for work. I wear the same **** I do in real life.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,781

Post#211 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:31 am

I dress like it's damn near 100 years ago because I can and I look **** fabulous next to all you post covid slobs.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#212 » by Jez2983 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:37 am

AussieBuck wrote:I dress like it's damn near 100 years ago because I can and I look **** fabulous next to all you post covid slobs.

And humble too. What a man.

(Also you're hanging onto that time BlameRasho found your pic online and called you handsome)
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#213 » by Jez2983 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:46 am

RiotPunch wrote:Has anyone experienced an adult dog developing separation anxiety issues? Since covid, until recently, our 8 year old has gotten used to one of myself or the wife being at the apartment practically around the clock. Recently, after taking a new job, she has to spend three days a week at home for longer stretches at a time. She really earned our trust as a young dog that she could handle being alone for stretches and be a good girl. She has become destructive with a very specific couch cushion lately and I'm at my wit's end. She gets big walks before and after work, our neighbor that works remote (and has her two corgi buddies) let's her out midday, and she even gets a little play sesh with her pals. We started giving her CBD, which seemed to work until tonight when she went back after it, ripping through blankets to get to the sweet spot. Working on replacing the cushion and incorporating lick pads, but just curious what others have had success with. She is the sweetest girl, I really hate reprimanding her.

Dementia? We had our dog on amytriptiline for a couple of years and I wish I'd done it sooner.

I know we've had a few dog conversations on here, I put down my Belgian Shepherd the day before we moved back interstate. The hardest part was that my wife wasn't really ready, we had been managing his slow decline, but he would have been terrible on the trip.

I'm not sure I'll ever forget sitting on the floor in an empty house ugly crying looking at the spot he occupied for the last 12 months. I miss him every day, but I'm grateful for the 15 years we had together, and am very comfortable with the decision we made.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,303

Post#214 » by RiotPunch » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:21 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Has anyone experienced an adult dog developing separation anxiety issues? Since covid, until recently, our 8 year old has gotten used to one of myself or the wife being at the apartment practically around the clock. Recently, after taking a new job, she has to spend three days a week at home for longer stretches at a time. She really earned our trust as a young dog that she could handle being alone for stretches and be a good girl. She has become destructive with a very specific couch cushion lately and I'm at my wit's end. She gets big walks before and after work, our neighbor that works remote (and has her two corgi buddies) let's her out midday, and she even gets a little play sesh with her pals. We started giving her CBD, which seemed to work until tonight when she went back after it, ripping through blankets to get to the sweet spot. Working on replacing the cushion and incorporating lick pads, but just curious what others have had success with. She is the sweetest girl, I really hate reprimanding her.

Dementia? We had our dog on amytriptiline for a couple of years and I wish I'd done it sooner.

I know we've had a few dog conversations on here, I put down my Belgian Shepherd the day before we moved back interstate. The hardest part was that my wife wasn't really ready, we had been managing his slow decline, but he would have been terrible on the trip.

I'm not sure I'll ever forget sitting on the floor in an empty house ugly crying looking at the spot he occupied for the last 12 months. I miss him every day, but I'm grateful for the 15 years we had together, and am very comfortable with the decision we made.

I don't think it is dementia, I have experienced that with past dogs. She is super sharp, it pretty clear separation anxiety (or just plain boredom, but she gets her exercise).
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,743

Post#215 » by chonestown » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:39 pm

AussieBuck wrote:I dress like it's damn near 100 years ago because I can and I look **** fabulous next to all you post covid slobs.

Congrats on being able to style 40 x 32 pantaloons.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#216 » by Jez2983 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:47 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

I don't think it is dementia, I have experienced that with past dogs. She is super sharp, it pretty clear separation anxiety (or just plain boredom, but she gets her exercise).

It may still be worth looking into the amytriptiline. My old boy was having it for chronic pain, with the added bonus it was a sedative, so we gave it to him at night and it really helped us all get a good sleep.

When he was younger we also tried things like radios, a ticking clock in his bed and stuffed toys because he used to howl at night. When we eventually caved and he slept in our room he'd still do it, so we just learned to live with it!

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#217 » by buckboy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:03 pm

chonestown wrote:

Should have its own thread imo.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,743

Post#218 » by chonestown » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:52 pm

buckboy wrote:
chonestown wrote:

Should have its own thread imo.

Love too draw inspiration from the fashion icons of yesteryear.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,781

Post#219 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:15 pm

chonestown wrote:

Got me a fancy three piece suit made in Hoi An Vietnam. It's a horrible lifestyle creep and now I need a bunch more stuff tailored.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,952

Post#220 » by jschligs » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:35 am

Currently on day 7 of solo parenting. Wife was at a bachelorette party for a few days and upon returning caught the norovirus and is still sick.

Just want to take a moment to give single parents a round of applause and let them know they are warriors. I am ****ing dying.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks