OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#181 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:56 pm

KidA24 wrote:
MoreTrife wrote:I'm getting tired of my podcasts - feel like all I listen to are celebrities (actors, comedians, sports people) talking to other celebrities.

Any interesting podcasts to recommend? I'd prefer non-fiction (though I have enjoyed the Magnus Archives that someone on here recommended).
I love Hardcore History but have listened to them and not always in the mood for something that heavy.
I really loved Lost Debate podcast (and it's still decent) but the format changed a bit.
THANKS!

Have you listened to the Dollop? Yes, it's comedy, but it is also real events from American history.
The Dollop about the 1904 Olympic Marathon is absolutely hilarious.

It's really specific but if you listen to hardcore history this might be in your wheelhouse: The Ancient World https://ancientworldpodcast.com/

The host is good and it's really interesting if you like an ancient history.

I also really like The Great Courses lecture series. You can likely find them for free on Libby if you belong to a library with a decent audio archive. I think some are also available for free on Audible if you're a member.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#182 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:01 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Curious of y'alls opinion. I'm potentially getting a job offer next week that checks every box on what I want career wise moving forward BUT it's a brutal commute. Probably an hour each way even if they let me tweek my schedule around traffic. Will be 5 days in office then potentially a hybrid split. I've worked 100% from home the past 10 years. My current job is fine but very limited long term growth.

I'm worried the commute will drive me insane but also that if I pass this opportunity up I'll regret it.

Not in a position to move anytime soon, like my neighborhood, schools and current interest rate.

This would be a no go for me, but my opinion doesn't mean much. I've been self-employed for the past seven years, worked remotely before that, and was a five minute drive from work before that. I just could not justify two hours per day being used on the commute unless it counted as work time, which I'm guessing it does not.

I think if I took that job, I would get a firm agreement in place ahead of time on what "potentially a hybrid split" meant. I would want a set timeline on it (how long after start date it started) and set number of days per week you could work from home. This is obviously assuming they really want you over the other candidates and you have the bargaining power. :)
Thank you to everyone who chimed in! Appreciate the insight.

I spoke with them again late last week specifically about the hours/transition to hybrid. Needed that to be clear and in place before taking the afternoon off tomorrow to do the final interviews with the CEO (who happens to also be from WI so we should have a good ice breaker).

If they make a good offer I'll likely take it. It just checks too many boxes from a career growth perspective to pass up.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,917

Post#183 » by jschligs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:26 am

Getting snipped tomorrow, wish me luck!
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#184 » by Mags FTW » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:23 am

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#185 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:25 pm

jschligs wrote:Getting snipped tomorrow, wish me luck!
Good luck. I personally found the procedure more awkward than painful.

Tip, don't over do it with the ice post surgery. I have a friend who go frost bite that way and said it was not great.

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,337

Post#186 » by KidA24 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:52 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Tip, don't over do it with the ice post surgery. I have a friend who go frost bite that way and said it was not great.

This reads wildly different with a comma instead of a colon.

"Don't forget to tip for your snip!"
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,692

Post#187 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:06 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Cool, new irrational fear unlocked. Thanks.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,965

Post#188 » by BUCKnation » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:38 pm

It's a real thing. I got mild ice burn from leaving an ice pack on my ankle too long after a work out. The blister was pretty ridiculous and the resulting off colored spot of skin was there for a few years and I think only returned to normal when I moved back to a place with seasons and my tan wasn't so strong.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#189 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:32 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Cool, new irrational fear unlocked. Thanks.
Ha yeah. Fortunately there's an easy way to avoid this one :)

jschligs
General Manager

Post#190 » by jschligs » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:08 am

24 post snip. I feel pretty fine, just a dull pain. But you better believe your ass I'm milking it for all its worth. The key is to not overexert yourself and my wife agrees. So I haven't done **** in the last 24 hours and I'm not going to tomorrow. It's been amazing. Woke up, ate an edible, laid and gamed all day. Had a couple beers.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,089

Post#191 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:34 am

After just now, I've officially had to Google, "What year is it?" multiple times over the last two months. I'm losing it.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#192 » by buckboy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:07 pm

jschligs wrote:24 post snip. I feel pretty fine, just a dull pain. But you better believe your ass I'm milking it for all its worth. The key is to not overexert yourself and my wife agrees. So I haven't done **** in the last 24 hours and I'm not going to tomorrow. It's been amazing. Woke up, ate an edible, laid and gamed all day. Had a couple beers.

I got snipped on the third Thursday in March at about 9:00 AM.

Next-level if I do say so myself.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
jschligs
General Manager

Post#193 » by jschligs » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 pm

buckboy wrote:
jschligs wrote:24 post snip. I feel pretty fine, just a dull pain. But you better believe your ass I'm milking it for all its worth. The key is to not overexert yourself and my wife agrees. So I haven't done **** in the last 24 hours and I'm not going to tomorrow. It's been amazing. Woke up, ate an edible, laid and gamed all day. Had a couple beers.

I tried to get that same time frame but sadly they were all booked.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#194 » by buckboy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:39 pm

jschligs wrote:
buckboy wrote:

I tried to get that same time frame but sadly they were all booked.

My wife was a nurse in that unit at the time so I had my pick.

8-)
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#195 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:33 am

Winning streak is now legal.

Read on Twitter
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#196 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:34 am

jschligs wrote:24 post snip. I feel pretty fine, just a dull pain. But you better believe your ass I'm milking it for all its worth.

Intentional phrasing?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#197 » by vital_signs » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:13 am

TIL, the snip isn't worse than hernia surgery. Figured it'd be the same if not worse.

For those ever in a situation to have hernia surgery, it is that bad.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
trwi7
RealGM

Post#198 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:35 am

vital_signs wrote:

TIL, the snip isn't worse than hernia surgery. Figured it'd be the same if not worse.

For those ever in a situation to have hernia surgery, it is that bad.

Had hernia surgery 14ish years ago. Surgeon said it was one of the biggest hernias he had ever seen. Was curled up in the fetal position on the couch for 4 days after the pain medication from the hospital wore off.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,089

Post#199 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:59 am

Read on Twitter

Sal mentions a hockey(?) team I vaguely remember hearing about somewhere.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#200 » by Mags FTW » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:19 pm

Just survived a re-org where about half my department got laid off, including my team lead. Running through the gamut of emotions about the whole thing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks