ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,182

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#441 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 pm

Has anyone commuted from Milwaukee to Chicago for work? Would this miserable even at just 2 days a week?
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,385

Post#442 » by KidA24 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Has anyone commuted from Milwaukee to Chicago for work? Would this miserable even at just 2 days a week?

I did two days a week to a place in the loop and took the Hiawatha both ways. It was nice.

Had I needed to drive and spend 3 hours in the car each day (at least), I would've lost my mind.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#443 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:22 pm

Read on Twitter

A cool media win for once!
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,959

Post#444 » by stellation » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 am

KidA24 wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:Has anyone commuted from Milwaukee to Chicago for work? Would this miserable even at just 2 days a week?

I did two days a week to a place in the loop and took the Hiawatha both ways. It was nice.

Had I needed to drive and spend 3 hours in the car each day (at least), I would've lost my mind.

Whilst not Mil<->Chi, also a fellow reasonable distance (shade over 2 hours between main stations) train commuter here. I enjoy it, work about half the time and read the other half- definitely preferable (even just personally- ignoring environmental/societal/financial benefits of supporting public transport) to driving (and driving is circa .75 of the time for me).
#FreeChuckDiesel
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,946

Post#445 » by jschligs » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:46 pm

Put my two weeks in at my current job. Moving to a fully remote role that I’m looking forward too.

I’ve handed off most the projects so now I just get to coast here until May 7th. Bitter sweet but my time has come. I tell ya though, finding a new daycare is a pain in the ass.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,182

Post#446 » by MissKhriddleton » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 pm

jschligs wrote:Put my two weeks in at my current job. Moving to a fully remote role that I’m looking forward too.

I’ve handed off most the projects so now I just get to coast here until May 7th. Bitter sweet but my time has come. I tell ya though, finding a new daycare is a pain in the ass.

How did you find the remote role?
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,946

Post#447 » by jschligs » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
jschligs wrote:Put my two weeks in at my current job. Moving to a fully remote role that I’m looking forward too.

How did you find the remote role?

Recruiter. This is the 3rd one a recruiter has found me for, I declined the first two but this was too good to pass up and I'm ****ing STOKED to be fully remote.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#448 » by TroyD92 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:56 pm

It's not that bad. about 1hr 30 minutes or so taking the amtrak. Amtrak is pretty comfy and is never really full so can 95% of the time have a row to yourself. Build it into your workday. That's what a lot of people do. Leave the station at 8 or whenever take the 3 back and you'll be home by roughly 5 most days.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,012

Post#449 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 pm

TroyD92 wrote:

It's not that bad. about 1hr 30 minutes or so taking the amtrak. Amtrak is pretty comfy and is never really full so can 95% of the time have a row to yourself. Build it into your workday. That's what a lot of people do. Leave the station at 8 or whenever take the 3 back and you'll be home by roughly 5 most days.

That's the key. If you can work on the train and include commute time in your work day it works out well. But if commute time is in addition to your regular work day, that sucks.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
TroyD92
RealGM

Post#450 » by TroyD92 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:07 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:

That's the key. If you can work on the train and include commute time in your work day it works out well. But if commute time is in addition to your regular work day, that sucks.

Yep. My work doesnt care as I can arrive or leave whenever I want. I know not everyone has that luxury though. Might be something worth negotiation if you're at that point in the process.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

stellation
RealGM

Post#451 » by stellation » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:07 am

TroyD92 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:

Yep. My work doesnt care as I can arrive or leave whenever I want. I know not everyone has that luxury though. Might be something worth negotiation if you're at that point in the process.

Timing to be able to leave a little early is great, where I can I'm on a train a bit after 4 and home in time to help with dinner. In my office everyone is always coming and going anyway and nobody really notices, but I am conscious of not being late when getting to the office/getting in a bit earlier just for visuals. I also book myself out in my calendar as busy at the tail end of the day and manage it well/reschedule to shorten meetings upfront if they eat into it where I can so nobody inadvertently books a meeting and it looks like I'm leaving halfway through.

Also, I leave responding to emails in the afternoon on those days until I'm doing that bit of work on the train. It took me a while to twig to it, it's good document writing time as well, but emailing does pop that "connected/working" idea in people's minds (again, I don't think anyone in my office really notices!).
#FreeChuckDiesel
TroyD92
RealGM

Post#452 » by TroyD92 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:09 am

stellation wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:That's the key. If you can work on the train and include commute time in your work day it works out well. But if commute time is in addition to your regular work day, that sucks.

Timing to be able to leave a little early is great, where I can I'm on a train a bit after 4 and home in time to help with dinner. In my office everyone is always coming and going anyway and nobody really notices, but I am conscious of not being late when getting to the office/getting in a bit earlier just for visuals. I also book myself out in my calendar as busy at the tail end of the day and manage it well/reschedule to shorten meetings upfront if they eat into it where I can so nobody inadvertently books a meeting and it looks like I'm leaving halfway through.

Also, I leave responding to emails in the afternoon on those days until I'm doing that bit of work on the train. It took me a while to twig to it, it's good document writing time as well, but emailing does pop that "connected/working" idea in people's minds (again, I don't think anyone in my office really notices!).

This is hilarious because i've started noticing that my team does this a lot lol. Especially on some of our meetings that tend to get out of control in terms of going over allotted time.

My manager operates much the same way in regards to getting in early for appearances. lol. I usually get in around 9:30-10 and leave around 4:30. If I'm not feeling productive i'll just leave earlier or if things are flowing and or chaotic I'll stay a bit later.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,731

Post#453 » by MikeIsGood » Wed May 1, 2024 9:42 pm

Anyone in Wisconsin use Spectrum Mobile? I don't have much reason to switch and don't need to penny pinch currently, but it's so cheap (and keeps getting shoved down my throat) that I'm wondering how horrible it is...or maybe isn't.
stellation
RealGM

Post#454 » by stellation » Wed May 1, 2024 10:16 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Anyone in Wisconsin use Spectrum Mobile? I don't have much reason to switch and don't need to penny pinch currently, but it's so cheap (and keeps getting shoved down my throat) that I'm wondering how horrible it is...or maybe isn't.

I'm not in Wisconsin and not using Spectrum Mobile, and my work pays for my mobile service so I haven't had to consider the cost of a mobile for as long as I can remember, but let me give you my thoughts....

:D
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#455 » by stellation » Wed May 1, 2024 10:17 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
stellation wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:

This is hilarious because i've started noticing that my team does this a lot lol. Especially on some of our meetings that tend to get out of control in terms of going over allotted time.

My manager operates much the same way in regards to getting in early for appearances. lol. I usually get in around 9:30-10 and leave around 4:30. If I'm not feeling productive i'll just leave earlier or if things are flowing and or chaotic I'll stay a bit later.

I mean, with the meetings bit- there's a lot of people who seem incapable of using the pretty simple scheduling capabilities imbedded in calendar tools so I still need to do a lot of declining/rescheduling. :D
#FreeChuckDiesel
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,722

Post#456 » by chonestown » Thu May 2, 2024 7:28 pm

I wear my honorary Aussie-ness with pride, but I am flummoxed by the below:

Read on Twitter

I have resided in three of the top-5 drunkest metro areas in America (I have not been a Milwaukeean fwiw) and I cannot ascertain the reality of this.

Boomers: explain/atone/???
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
KidA24
General Manager

Post#457 » by KidA24 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:00 pm

chonestown wrote:I wear my honorary Aussie-ness with pride, but I am flummoxed by the below:

Read on Twitter

I have resided in three of the top-5 drunkest metro areas in America (I have not been a Milwaukeean fwiw) and I cannot ascertain the reality of this.

This sounds like a more complicated version of Slap the Bag.

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,722

Post#458 » by chonestown » Thu May 2, 2024 8:25 pm

KidA24 wrote:This sounds like a more complicated version of Slap the Bag.

NOT HELPFUL
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
stellation
RealGM

Post#459 » by stellation » Thu May 2, 2024 8:45 pm

chonestown wrote:I wear my honorary Aussie-ness with pride, but I am flummoxed by the below:

Read on Twitter

This is real, a key feature of Bogan Youth Olympics (we’re a sporting nation).
#FreeChuckDiesel
KidA24
General Manager

Post#460 » by KidA24 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:49 pm

chonestown wrote:
KidA24 wrote:This sounds like a more complicated version of Slap the Bag.

NOT HELPFUL

Well, you see, Slap the Bag is a game where you take a bag, you drink from it, then you slap it.

Then you yell, "Slap the Bag, WOOO!" and that's it. That's the game.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks