ImageImage

Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Horst to Detroit rumor

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,963

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Horst to Detroit rumor 

Post#1601 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:00 pm

It would be interesting seeing Horst in a rebuild scenario. I think he's done an ok/good job here mainly because he had the blueprint in place (Giannis) and simply threw EVERYTHING at the problem (picks) to get it done. A few of his main additions (Brook/Bobby) were guy that wanted to come play with Giannis to rehab their careers and you don't really get that on a rebuilding roster. I mean when you really look at his like out of the box GMing his best addition is probably Pat Connaughton? He hired the right coach, once, and then flopped on the next horribly. Drafting has been suspect at best. I'm not sure what I'd expect from him in Detroit, he'd literally be tasked with doing nothing he's done here.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,807

Post#1602 » by emunney » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:04 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:The Horst thing doesn't just come out of nowhere. Either Horst or the Bucks let this slip.

The question is whether this is Horst feeling the hot seat, and floating a rumor that he's in demand (i.e. leverage for a new deal).

OR

Possible writing on the wall that Jimmy Haslam wants someone else.

Or this could be nothing. But it doesn't feel that way.

I don't think it can be nothing. It could be the Pistons floating it to see what the response is from Horst and/or the Bucks.

There are only 30 gm jobs and only one of them has Giannis, so I'm sure we'd get qualified candidates if we were interested in hearing from them, despite the trends and the age of many key pieces. I just think the decision has been made and it's contingent on postseason outcome.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Re: Bucks News, Transactions, Trade Ideas - Pacers Round 1 Lead Up 

Post#1603 » by BroncoBuck » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:04 pm

BigO wrote:
AntetokounmBros wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree with him that it would have been wrong to trade him after he sacrificed money for the team's benefit. Not a good look for the organization, especially after the backlash from the Jrue trade.

It might be an irrational response since it's a business, and the front office needs to do what's best for the team, but perception among the players matters. Glad that rumor never came to fruition...especially for a downgrade like Grant Williams.

It's funny that BP says trading for Grant Williams didn't sound right, because that's what I thought when I read it here. I thought there's no way this is a thing.

And yet, a few down games by BP and posters were "hell ya".

Instead of "me and Bobby McGee" it's "me and BP".

The first round pick was the asset, not Grant Williams. He was the matching salary.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,807

Post#1604 » by emunney » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm

Yeah, I think the Bucks were going to move that pick in a separate deal for one of the guys they were rumored to be in on. So they'd have a guy they've long liked in Williams on a salary dump plus some "big fish". Horst is nothing if not ambitious.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,696

Post#1605 » by ShootingtheJ » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 pm

BigO wrote:
AntetokounmBros wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree with him that it would have been wrong to trade him after he sacrificed money for the team's benefit. Not a good look for the organization, especially after the backlash from the Jrue trade.

It might be an irrational response since it's a business, and the front office needs to do what's best for the team, but perception among the players matters. Glad that rumor never came to fruition...especially for a downgrade like Grant Williams.

It's funny that BP says trading for Grant Williams didn't sound right, because that's what I thought when I read it here. I thought there's no way this is a thing.

And yet, a few down games by BP and posters were "hell ya".

Instead of "me and Bobby McGee" it's "me and BP".

To be fair, I'm pretty sure we were getting a 1st in the deal, and that was the attraction. Basically just like the PJ Washington deal. We probably had to throw in a 2nd.

I also think the reason we didn't do the deal was simply because we couldn't get anyone we wanted for that 1st, or even 2- 1sts.

If the Pelicans had kept Herb Jones on the market, well, that would have been interesting.

Still glad Bobby is entering the playoffs red hot.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,696

Post#1606 » by ShootingtheJ » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:19 pm

emunney wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:The Horst thing doesn't just come out of nowhere. Either Horst or the Bucks let this slip.

The question is whether this is Horst feeling the hot seat, and floating a rumor that he's in demand (i.e. leverage for a new deal).

OR

Possible writing on the wall that Jimmy Haslam wants someone else.

Or this could be nothing. But it doesn't feel that way.

I don't think it can be nothing. It could be the Pistons floating it to see what the response is from Horst and/or the Bucks.

There are only 30 gm jobs and only one of them has Giannis, so I'm sure we'd get qualified candidates if we were interested in hearing from them, despite the trends and the age of many key pieces. I just think the decision has been made and it's contingent on postseason outcome.

Since Horst is under contract, they should clearly give us Cade as compensation.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#1607 » by raferfenix » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:55 pm

What are some upgrade GM scenarios?

Doc certainly could be angling to take over everything but that’s not the only way that could go.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,711

Post#1608 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:13 am

Do we have any reason to believe Doc would be good - or suck - as a GM? I only recall his POBO half-stint in LAC, which didn't seem to go horribly? But I had no reason to pay much attention or recall it.

I will say that, although just wild speculation...the suggestion about this being planned from the get go seems at least mildly plausible IMO. Contract terms gave him insurance we wouldn't back out, and insured us if the coaching ended up working out (lol, at least for now).
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,191

Post#1609 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:57 am

Hell no to Doc as GM.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,976

Post#1610 » by soxperry » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 am

i like how people always just assume that guys want to take a job where they are from. there are certainly exceptions, but ambitious people tend to want to branch out and experience new things. he's not leaving Milwaukee for Detroit, at least not right now.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,264

Post#1611 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 am

I think one of Horst's greatest achievements has been finding creative ways to trade for players despite constantly depleted assets. Nobody thought it was possible we could acquire Dame.
Read on Twitter
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#1612 » by GoldenAntlers » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:30 am

Going to reserve my GM judgement until after the Playoffs. I do think he would do well in Detroit, Bucks aside.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,529

Post#1613 » by drone3 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 am

FlagsFlyForever wrote:I think one of Horst's greatest achievements has been finding creative ways to trade for players despite constantly depleted assets. Nobody thought it was possible we could acquire Dame.
It's was a risky move and yes we got 'Dame' but on the other hand he's old and we're still waiting for him to arrive.

The other option was to use an asset like Jrue to get younger upcoming players like what Masai did in the Knicks trade.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#1614 » by raferfenix » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 am

WeMajor34 wrote:The Horst news is super interesting. I think the organization would maybe like a change in that position anyway. If Horst does leave, I'm sure people would frame it as, "He sees the writing on the wall and wants to leave early". But in reality, I bet the Pistons just throw a massive bag at him and it's a Monty-Williams-offer that he can't refuse.

Given how the Bucks limped to the playoffs it’s conspicuous this is being leaked now.

Detroit very well could be offering a Monty deal. Horst tried to hire him too fwiw.

Either way it’s not a sign of franchise health much less confidence we are about to go on a serious run that this is being put out there.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Post#1615 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 am

Matches Malone wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Are mamu and Nwora actually solid players?

Yes.

I'll just agree to disagree. I guess putting up some type of numbers on bottom feeders constitutes solid player but I'm not sure they're contributing on contenders.

Mamu and the Spurs just knocked Denver out of the 1 seed. He had 21 points and 12 boards. He’s played three seasons in the NBA. That’s a massive hit for a guy picked at the end of the second round.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,191

Post#1616 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

Dame saying it's :nonono:
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,847

Post#1617 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 am

BroncoBuck wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
Yes.

I'll just agree to disagree. I guess putting up some type of numbers on bottom feeders constitutes solid player but I'm not sure they're contributing on contenders.

Mamu and the Spurs just knocked Denver out of the 1 seed. He had 21 points and 12 boards. He’s played three seasons in the NBA. That’s a massive hit for a guy picked at the end of the second round.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Is2NT7MkSiA?si=Re7176XBDIksjGmN[/youtube]

Yeah, I said they put up some numbers on bottom feeders (the team they are on not against). Mamu is on track to outplay his draft position, I'll give you that, but if Horst is this great GM you speak of, why didn't he keep Mamu? Where was the development plan for him or any of the rookies we draft? Seems developing young players went to the wayside over the years in favor of aging vets who have experience. Obviously not all of that falls on Horsts shoulders, but it is a big part of his job.

I just don't think Horsts overall drafting has been that great. If Mamu is one of the shining bright spots in a sea of meh, that kind of sticks out.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,583

Post#1618 » by Frank Nova » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 am

humanrefutation wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dame saying it's :nonono:

So Dame thinks Stephen A is our hero and gonna take pollution down to zero? I don’t get it :-?
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,563

Post#1619 » by RogerMurdock » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 am

Could go in Around the League, but I'm putting it here, since it involves the Buck. This made me smile - it's cute.

Read on Twitter
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,618

Post#1620 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 am

The impact of trading Jrue to the Celtics for 4 years, Grayson an elite 3/D starter for Dame made this the worst deal (and most vomit inducing) in Bucks history. We closed our championship window with a series of reactionary own-goals. Yes hindsight but its a pattern starting with caving to Giannis.

Our glaring weaknesses as a team now are exactly what Jrue and Grayson took with them. All because we wanted better clutch offense. At some point we can’t rely on past-prime spare parts as our core is already aging and slow.

GM Giannis better stay for every second of this shipshow the next few years as we age out even more.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks