Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Re: Around The League 

Post#721 » by tedbrogen » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:42 pm

emunney wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:
blazza18 wrote:I would like to know what has gotten into Donte this season.

Of course as soon as he leaves, he becomes a 40% 3 pt shooter. We were begging for him to be this type of player.

40% 3 point shooter is one thing. Shooting TWENTY 3s in a game (much less making 11 of them) is another thing entirely.

I think he got going fixing his jumper last year, and this year he's playing with his boys and just overflowing with confidence. I'm super happy for him, he was such a great teammate here, but also god damn it.

There were articles that noted Donte worked with Steph during his stop in GS to work on his shot. He’s still a one trick pony on offense though since he’ll never be able to finish at the rim in traffic. But damn if he wouldn’t be perfect on this Bucks team. Beas shooting with elite D.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#722 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:48 pm

Still kinda crazy how a way post-prime Chris Paul was pretty much the difference in the Suns being a regular season juggernaut/contender, and them now being a borderline play-in team. They're in a tough spot if they don't make at least a Conference Finals run here. The three and 5-man lineup combos with KD/Booker/Beal aren't as dominant as any of the other top contenders (+8-ish) and they've been a dreadful 4th quarter and clutch team despite those guys' half-court scoring prowess.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#723 » by tedbrogen » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Still kinda crazy how a way post-prime Chris Paul was pretty much the difference in the Suns being a regular season juggernaut/contender, and them now being a borderline play-in team. They're in a tough spot if they don't make at least a Conference Finals run here. The three and 5-man lineup combos with KD/Booker/Beal aren't as dominant as any of the other top contenders (+8-ish) and they've been a dreadful 4th quarter and clutch team despite those guys' half-court scoring prowess.

From what I saw against the Bucks, with no true point guard, the Suns offense is mainly taking turning playing ISO ball. Makes sense why they are horrible in the 4th quarter. That’s when having someone to run an actual offense can make things way easier when defenses start giving max effort.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,031

Post#724 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:27 pm

Profound23 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
emunney wrote:I have a love/hate relationship with this. On one hand, incredible how in-the-game he is at all times that he has the presence to try stuff like this. On the other hand, absolutely fully **** off.

Read on Twitter

I feel 70% of foul chasing would be removed if the NBA had an uncatchable room. Any 'shot' that had no reasonable shot of being made absent a foul should be no call

I would have to disagree with this. I get where you are trying to go with it. But one, fouls can alter the shot so much that some shots will look unreasonable. Also, if I am a smart enough offensive guy and I see a defender barreling at me because he is going to intentionally foul me and I take a fullcourt, halfcourt, or otherwise unreasonable shot, I should get those free throws.

So you think Jokic should've got free throws on the above? Like I don't think Jokic getting 3 free throws on that adds value to the game.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#725 » by Profound23 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:35 pm

Profound23 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I feel 70% of foul chasing would be removed if the NBA had an uncatchable room. Any 'shot' that had no reasonable shot of being made absent a foul should be no call

I would have to disagree with this. I get where you are trying to go with it. But one, fouls can alter the shot so much that some shots will look unreasonable. Also, if I am a smart enough offensive guy and I see a defender barreling at me because he is going to intentionally foul me and I take a fullcourt, halfcourt, or otherwise unreasonable shot, I should get those free throws.

So you think Jokic should've got free throws on the above? Like I don't think Jokic getting 3 free throws on that adds value to the game.

Definitely, I don't even like Jokic. Defenders have to be smarter.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,856

Post#726 » by Prez » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:40 pm

We would stomp the league with this version of Donte. Extremely frustrating lol. Literally the perfect type of 2 guard for this team.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,054

Post#727 » by Siefer » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:46 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Still kinda crazy how a way post-prime Chris Paul was pretty much the difference in the Suns being a regular season juggernaut/contender, and them now being a borderline play-in team. They're in a tough spot if they don't make at least a Conference Finals run here. The three and 5-man lineup combos with KD/Booker/Beal aren't as dominant as any of the other top contenders (+8-ish) and they've been a dreadful 4th quarter and clutch team despite those guys' half-court scoring prowess.

They have a pedestrian front court, a thin bench, and their stars don't compliment one another. I straight up don't believe in Beal, Booker isn't a point guard, and Durant is still great, but I don't think he has the hard carry in him with this group.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#728 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:48 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

C'mon, tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't absolutely despise this if a guy like Harden did it and was insanely rewarded with 3 FT's. You know you would.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#729 » by chonestown » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53 pm

tedbrogen wrote:

From what I saw against the Bucks, with no true point guard, the Suns offense is mainly taking turning playing ISO ball. Makes sense why they are horrible in the 4th quarter. That’s when having someone to run an actual offense can make things way easier when defenses start giving max effort.

Funny, I recall this piece centered around the following assertion.

What’s far more important in the short and long term for an organization that’s all in to win this year’s title, though, is Booker’s passing. In his first season since 2019-20 without Chris Paul running the show, Phoenix’s franchise player has comfortably assumed a lead playmaking role that has catapulted him into the conversation for best point guard in the league.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/11/29/23980278/devin-booker-passing-assists-phoenix-suns

Common man.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,616

Post#730 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:58 pm

Interesting, but isn't the Suns new big 3 really outstanding offensively? Isn't it their defense that's dragging their net rating? It seems like they miss the defensive abilities of Ayton and Crowder more than Paul.

They are also missing quality bench pieces like Cam Johnson and even Cam Payne.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#731 » by Profound23 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:04 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:So you think Jokic should've got free throws on the above? Like I don't think Jokic getting 3 free throws on that adds value to the game.

C'mon, tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't absolutely despise this if a guy like Harden did it and was insanely rewarded with 3 FT's. You know you would.

I mean, I dislike Joker (mostly because I think he is so overrated) more than Harden so I don't like either one getting away with it.

However, it is what it is....defenders have to be smarter and not jump at someone like that.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,054

Post#732 » by Siefer » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:28 pm

chonestown wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:

What’s far more important in the short and long term for an organization that’s all in to win this year’s title, though, is Booker’s passing. In his first season since 2019-20 without Chris Paul running the show, Phoenix’s franchise player has comfortably assumed a lead playmaking role that has catapulted him into the conversation for best point guard in the league.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/11/29/23980278/devin-booker-passing-assists-phoenix-suns

Common man.

I knew that was written by Pina before I even clicked.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#733 » by chonestown » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:54 pm

Siefer wrote:
chonestown wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:

Common man.

I knew that was written by Pina before I even clicked.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,149

Post#734 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:02 pm

emunney wrote:
Karsenmitsche wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Of course as soon as he leaves, he becomes a 40% 3 pt shooter. We were begging for him to be this type of player.

I feel like this is short-term memory regarding Donte. He was freaking awesome for us the year we won the title. Started every game, shot close to 40% from 3, was all over the floor and provided a ton of rebounding/defense. He was going to be a 20 million per year player that off-season.

Losing him at the end of the Heat series is a big reason why we really struggled the first few games against Brooklyn.

He was terrible after the injury, but it’s not like this version of him didn’t exist.

A very good version of him existed, but this version is not that.

Donte never quite reached this current version as a Buck but it was definitely festering somewhere inside of him. The trade for Ibaka was horrible at the time and in hindsight, but Bucks brass save a bit of face with the fact that it took Donte a couple more years to figure out a consistent jumper. He's always done all the little things however. Wildly over criticized by fans during his time here. Its really unfortunate that he's not still a Buck.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,753

Post#735 » by emunney » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:36 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

Defenders have to be smart enough to avoid all contact 75 feet from the basket? Nah. I'm mixed on if this is even a foul. It's certainly not a shot.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#736 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:53 pm

“For me, it was just a shock because at least let me know 24 hours in advance,” Holiday said. “Not five minutes in advance. Maybe I’m asking for too much. It’s kind of like, I won there.”

Holiday described how he got a call from Bucks general manager Jon Horst, though he didn’t pick up because he was taking a nap. But after his agent called him, telling him he got traded, that’s when Holiday called Horst back to formally get the news from the organization.

I find it kind of funny that both fans and the Holidays make such a big deal about how Holiday suddenly got traded, but no one cares about Grayson Allen. It seems like they want special treatment. Should the bucks have called Grayson Allen 24 hours in advance of the trade as well? What if the trade offer got beat by Miami? Would you really want to know you almost got traded?
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#737 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:55 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
emunney wrote:
Karsenmitsche wrote:
I feel like this is short-term memory regarding Donte. He was freaking awesome for us the year we won the title. Started every game, shot close to 40% from 3, was all over the floor and provided a ton of rebounding/defense. He was going to be a 20 million per year player that off-season.

Losing him at the end of the Heat series is a big reason why we really struggled the first few games against Brooklyn.

He was terrible after the injury, but it’s not like this version of him didn’t exist.

A very good version of him existed, but this version is not that.

Donte never quite reached this current version as a Buck but it was definitely festering somewhere inside of him. The trade for Ibaka was horrible at the time and in hindsight, but Bucks brass save a bit of face with the fact that it took Donte a couple more years to figure out a consistent jumper. He's always done all the little things however. Wildly over criticized by fans during his time here. Its really unfortunate that he's not still a Buck.

Yeah it's a shame since he's the exact type of young, solid rotational player this team desperately needs moving forward.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#738 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:07 pm

Suns schedule is incredibly brutal down the stretch. Basically all against teams with winning records who are all fighting for positioning. No cupcakes. Like their 9th easiest game (out of 10 remaining) is against the Cavs.
https://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#739 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:09 pm

I'll never say anything bad about Jrue as a person, but come the **** on dude, you know how this works. 24-hours in advance? How is that even possible? Lol
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,530

Post#740 » by RogerMurdock » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:13 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:no one cares about Grayson Allen

Well, yeah.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks