Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,333

Re: Around The League 

Post#801 » by KidA24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:01 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:When the Spurs figure out how to put a team around Wemby they're gonna run the NBA for a decade.

...I think this is Pop slander. When hasn't he put a team around his superstars?

This season.

Is Wemby going to make an all NBA team this season? No.

He's not a superstar this season.

He will be. He's dragging the spurs to wins like 20 year old Giannis.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,082

Post#802 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:06 am

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
...I think this is Pop slander. When hasn't he put a team around his superstars?

This season.

He's been unreal. Top 20 already. The only thing holding him back right now is the Spurs organization.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#803 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:10 am

The most astonishing thing to me about Wemby is that he doesn't foul. I thought that would be the big issue with him coming into the league.

But nope, averages 2.7 fouls per 36. A tiny number for a big man, especially one who contests like he does. Giannis have never been below 3.0.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#804 » by KidA24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:12 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
This season.

He's been unreal. Top 20 already. The only thing holding him back right now is the Spurs organization.

So the Spurs should've gone for a title this season instead of letting him explore, grow and cultivate mass and get a top ten pick?

They failed at his development?

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#805 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:16 am

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

So the Spurs should've gone for a title this season instead of letting him explore, grow and cultivate mass and get a top ten pick?

I don't follow the NBA draft anymore, so I don't know if tanking for a pick was a good move or not. But the team they put around Wemby is garbage.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#806 » by KidA24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:18 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I don't follow the NBA draft anymore, so I don't know if tanking for a pick was a good move or not. But the team they put around Wemby is garbage.

Well, should they have traded for Dame in August? Would that have given then better odds for a title over the next five years?

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#807 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:19 am

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Well, should they have traded for Dame in August? Would that have given then better odds for a title over the next five years?

Sure, probably.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#808 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:21 am

If Dame wouldn't give Wemby better odds for the title over the next five years I have serious questions about the Bucks strategy.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#809 » by KidA24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:24 am

ReasonablySober wrote:If Dame wouldn't give Wemby better odds for the title over the next five years I have serious questions about the Bucks strategy.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Spurs didn't think Wemby would be on the LeBron NBA growth path as a 7'5" 170lb human.

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,688

Post#810 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 am

I am not sure how a team so bad they get the #1 pick then "puts a team" around said #1 pick four months later...?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#811 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:29 am

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:If Dame wouldn't give Wemby better odds for the title over the next five years I have serious questions about the Bucks strategy.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Spurs didn't think Wemby would be on the LeBron NBA growth path as a 7'5" 170lb human.

The Spurs didn't think an 19 year old would put on weight?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#812 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:35 am

MikeIsGood wrote:I am not sure how a team so bad they get the #1 pick then "puts a team" around said #1 pick four months later...?

The Magic won 20 more games the year after they got Shaq. The Cavs won 18 more when they got LeBron.

The Spurs are on pace to win fewer games than they did last season.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#813 » by KidA24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:39 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

No, they just thought it was a Giannis ascension path

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#814 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:44 am

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Not remotely true. Wemby wasn't a project playing against D-3 level kids. He was dominating, playing against professionals and former NBA players. He was light years past Giannis in the pre-draft stage.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#815 » by KidA24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Not remotely true. Wemby wasn't a project playing against D-3 level kids. He was dominating, playing against professionals and former NBA players. He was light years past Giannis in the pre-draft stage.

Lay out what the Spurs should've done in the off season and during this season to increase their odds of his success and their team success over the next decade.

I respect you, but right now you sound like Perk

MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#816 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:50 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I am not sure how a team so bad they get the #1 pick then "puts a team" around said #1 pick four months later...?

The Magic won 20 more games the year after they got Shaq. The Cavs won 18 more when they got LeBron.

The Spurs are on pace to win fewer games than they did last season.

I don't think you can compare teams in a vacuum, especially across eras - and the Cavs/LeBron example is especially weird considering how frustrated he became with the complete mediocrity they could put around him. It feels like a big ESPN-take to expect a team to have "put a team" around their pick the season he's drafted, but if you think the personnel terrible teams can be manipulated consistently that quickly, more power to you.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#817 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:56 am

I'm not saying the Spurs should have built a contender around Wemby in year one, and again, I know literally nothing about this year's NBA draft. If it's super deep or top heavy or whatever and the Spurs land an awesome running mate for Wemby, maybe it all ends up great for them.

I'm simply saying that the team they put around him this season sucks. It feels like a wasted year.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#818 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:23 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm not saying the Spurs should have built a contender around Wemby in year one, and again, I know literally nothing about this year's NBA draft. If it's super deep or top heavy or whatever and the Spurs land an awesome running mate for Wemby, maybe it all ends up great for them.

I'm simply saying that the team they put around him this season sucks. It feels like a wasted year.

Got ya. Well from that perspective, they probably had pretty reasonable expectations of not being among the worst team in the league again. I think Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell would be seen as pretty good running mates for a young squad - early 20s, with both coming off performances good enough in recent years to get solid extensions.

It's probably concerning that both of those guys + Wemby have led to 20 wins or whatever it is. They're either not as good as they were thought to be/empty stats, or something else is going on. One thing I've thought is weird this year is that, despite Wemby being hyped as an immediate DPOY candidate, they're one of the worst defensive squads in the league.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#819 » by ejn1214 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:39 pm

It probably would have been smart to get a decent point guard on the team and maybe a semblance of a roster that actually makes sense. He is light years ahead of what Giannis was coming into the league. They are not ready to contend now, but hopefully they have some plan. I just have no idea what they are doing with their roster unless they are banking on hitting in the draft. Are Sochan and Vassell long term pieces or TBD?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,712

Post#820 » by Ron Swanson » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:20 pm

RS isn't wrong. I questioned why people were/are being so hyperbolic about Wemby "running the league" for the next 4-5 years not because Wemby isn't ready (he is), but because the roster they've put around him is absolute dog ****. And it's not like they just started rebuilding, they've been picking in the lottery for like, 4-straight years with almost nothing to show for it. Vassell is the only other guy I would even consider a keeper beyond this season.

They really need to package whatever assets they have and try and get someone like Garland in the offseason if he becomes available. Even using that cap space and overpay a couple mid-tier free agents like Houston did wouldn't be a bad idea. You need to start building a competent roster around Wemby right now, not fall into the "just stockpile assets" trap that breeds complacency.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks