PG Sixers: Who needs a Nurse when you’ve got a Doc

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Re: PG Sixers: Who needs a Nurse when you’ve got a Doc 

Post#181 » by Jez2983 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:41 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
jimmybones wrote: I do, with certainty, feel more confident in our chances at lifting a trophy today under Doc than I did under Griffin.

On that we are 100% in agreement. Thanks for your response.

I was with you for a fair bit defending Griffin, but looking at how much more coherent we are looking (finally) some sort of change was needed. Maybe Griffin with different personnel would have been different, maybe Doc has the benefit of on outsiders perspective, maybe no Mids has made the team easier to institute change.

Larry K was.the worst NBA coach I can remember us having, but he had a long coaching career after this. I guess it's easy to say someone is 'good' or 'bad' when there is shades of grey.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#182 » by Jez2983 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:43 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Interviews have always been a **** dumb as **** way of hiring people and this goes well beyond basketball.

Like most things it probably depends on the skill of the interviewer.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,775

Post#183 » by AussieBuck » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:13 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Interviews have always been a **** dumb as **** way of hiring people and this goes well beyond basketball.

hmm maybe
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#184 » by skbucks1985 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

hmm maybe

I think your initial comments are right. The skills to be a good job interviewee, while having some general overlap, tend to have not a ton of correlation with the skills needed to do most jobs.
Neuromancer56
Rookie
And1: 1,054

Post#185 » by Neuromancer56 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:25 am

KidA24 wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:If you knew in advance that Jrue was going to the Celtics would you still do the Dame trade?

Why would you post this in a post game thread? Coward.

It probably would have been better to post in the Bucks general thread. It's just a question. I would probably do the trade anyway although Jrue basically makes the Celtics a complete team that's an undefeatable juggernaut. He basically filled their one glaring weakness and didn't cost them much in return. Then again, if anyone in the east has a chance to beat the Celtics, it's still probably the Bucks because now we have Dame. So it makes sense to do it because if we get past the Celtics, it makes us better able to beat whoever in the West makes it to the Finals.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,421

Post#186 » by randy84 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:29 am

Neuromancer56 wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:If you knew in advance that Jrue was going to the Celtics would you still do the Dame trade?

It probably would have been better to post in the Bucks general thread. It's just a question. I would probably do the trade anyway although Jrue basically makes the Celtics a complete team that's an undefeatable juggernaut. He basically filled their one glaring weakness and didn't cost them much in return. Then again, if anyone in the east has a chance to beat the Celtics, it's still probably the Bucks because now we have Dame. So it makes sense to do it because if we get past the Celtics, it makes us better able to beat whoever in the West makes it to the Finals.

Am I living in an alternate universe? Didn't the Bucks just beat the Celtics so bad that their starters wouldn't even come out for the second half?
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#187 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:30 am

Jrue and Grayson a pick and swaps? for Dame remains a **** steal. Could be the GOAT Bucks trade.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Neuromancer56
Rookie

Post#188 » by Neuromancer56 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:37 am

randy84 wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Am I living in an alternate universe? Didn't the Bucks just beat the Celtics so bad that their starters wouldn't even come out for the second half?
So you're thinking we're going to easily handle the Celtics in the playoffs? My thought is that they are going to play a lot better in any playoff series against us. The Celtics are the only team that scares me. One regular season game can be a fluke.
Neuromancer56
Rookie

Post#189 » by Neuromancer56 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:40 am

AussieBuck wrote:Jrue and Grayson a pick and swaps? for Dame remains a **** steal. Could be the GOAT Bucks trade.

I agree, the only bad thing about that trade was that Jrue went to the Celtics. But that is a significantly bad thing. Though their front office is so good they probably would have come up with some other good trade if they couldn't have gotten Jrue.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,481

Post#190 » by steger_3434 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:42 am

randy84 wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

With that thinking it’s a good thing Memphis and their team of players no one has heard of are in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,421

Post#191 » by randy84 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:42 am

Neuromancer56 wrote:
randy84 wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:It probably would have been better to post in the Bucks general thread. It's just a question. I would probably do the trade anyway although Jrue basically makes the Celtics a complete team that's an undefeatable juggernaut. He basically filled their one glaring weakness and didn't cost them much in return. Then again, if anyone in the east has a chance to beat the Celtics, it's still probably the Bucks because now we have Dame. So it makes sense to do it because if we get past the Celtics, it makes us better able to beat whoever in the West makes it to the Finals.

So you're thinking we're going to easily handle the Celtics in the playoffs? My thought is that they are going to play a lot better in any playoff series against us. The Celtics are the only team that scares me. One regular season game can be a fluke.

Nothing in my post said that the Bucks would easily handle them. But you just called them an "undefeatable juggernaut". I just wanted to point out that your undefeatable juggernaut got beat so bad by the Bucks that their starters wouldn't even come out for the second half.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#192 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:48 am

Neuromancer56 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Jrue and Grayson a pick and swaps? for Dame remains a **** steal. Could be the GOAT Bucks trade.

I agree, the only bad thing about that trade was that Jrue went to the Celtics. But that is a significantly bad thing. Though their front office is so good they probably would have come up with some other good trade if they couldn't have gotten Jrue.

I don't see how he's more useful to them than Smart was. KP is the guy who makes or breaks them and most likely he breaks himself and then they are just the standard Celtics with less Giannis coverage.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#193 » by Jez2983 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:00 am

skbucks1985 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

hmm maybe

I think your initial comments are right. The skills to be a good job interviewee, while having some general overlap, tend to have not a ton of correlation with the skills needed to do most jobs.

This is fair. I wonder if interviewing is more successful when the candidate is required to outline their plans for their role, vs. someone filling a position. Do they do interviews for Maccas/KFC/Walmart in the states? If so, lol.

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,266

Post#194 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:28 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:

I don't see how he's more useful to them than Smart was. KP is the guy who makes or breaks them and most likely he breaks himself and then they are just the standard Celtics with less Giannis coverage.

Yep. KP is the guy that unlocked them. Had they kept Brogdon and Smart, but added KP, feels like they’d be even better.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#195 » by AussieBuck » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:33 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:I agree, the only bad thing about that trade was that Jrue went to the Celtics. But that is a significantly bad thing. Though their front office is so good they probably would have come up with some other good trade if they couldn't have gotten Jrue.

Yep. KP is the guy that unlocked them. Had they kept Brogdon and Smart, but added KP, feels like they’d be even better.

Or Smart and the Williams guys. After Horford, they could be stuck with Jrue guarding Giannis. Really lacking in strong, pain the butt floppers.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,663

Post#196 » by -Jragon- » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:53 am

Jez2983 wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:
jimmybones wrote: I do, with certainty, feel more confident in our chances at lifting a trophy today under Doc than I did under Griffin.

On that we are 100% in agreement. Thanks for your response.

I was with you for a fair bit defending Griffin, but looking at how much more coherent we are looking (finally) some sort of change was needed. Maybe Griffin with different personnel would have been different, maybe Doc has the benefit of on outsiders perspective, maybe no Mids has made the team easier to institute change..

Look out below.. apparently he's coming back within a week... maybe THIS coach will get through to him :-?
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,445

Post#197 » by Gant » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:30 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Neuromancer56 wrote:I agree, the only bad thing about that trade was that Jrue went to the Celtics. But that is a significantly bad thing. Though their front office is so good they probably would have come up with some other good trade if they couldn't have gotten Jrue.

While Porzingis is definitely the primary difference maker, giving them options they never had before, the Holiday/Smart change has been meaningful.

I don't think Jrue is a much better player than Marcus, but they are stylistically very different. In previous seasons the Celtics had a regular tendency to get frazzled. Smart added to that because he plays so hot and wild. By contrast Holiday plays cool and controlled, and routinely settles them. That's the biggest Jrue benefit and its nonstatistical.

For stats, last year's Smart minutes and FGA and this year's Jrue are pretty much the same, with low volume in attempts. But Holiday's percentages are way better: Holiday 5.72 efg, .440 3p% vs Smart .511 efg%, .336 3p%.

Compounding that, Smart took many late clock crunch time shots, whereas Holiday does not. (This is a Porzingis benefit as the Celtics have better options now.). Opposing defenses wanted Smart shooting those shots and overplayed Tatum and Brown to make that happen. They can't do that this year. Holiday has been killer from 3, leads the Celtics in 3p%, and is among the league leaders.

As far as the Celtics' bench, though the Celtics reportedly wanted Grant Williams back, they haven't missed him, and I don't know whose minutes he'd take, at least not regularly. They did just add wide body Tillman (we'll see if he even gets time). I thought Brogdon would leave a huge whole in their bench, but that hasn't happened. I did not believe Hauser and Pritchard could make the jump from 9th/10th men to 7th/8th men effectively, but they have. Horford became the 6th man where he benefits by carrying a lighter load.

The Celtics bench has the best net rating in the league. This is helped by their starters. That stat doesn't at all mean they're the best bench, but it does mean something positive.

One last thing about Jrue Holiday. His usage is the lowest of his career. He's the fifth option on offense. He gets to pick and choose his spots on that end which has contributed to his high percentages. It also means the Celtics do not need him to overperform as much as when he was a higher option for the Bucks.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks