PG Warriors - Loss

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,089

Re: PG Warriors - Loss 

Post#41 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:46 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Kerr only played Looney 6-minutes while Doc trotted out Brook for 28 minutes. "Thoroughly out-schemed" is hyperbole but that definitely shouldn't have happened. We needed more Crowder and Gallo, and this is why Doc being stubborn with rotations is a possible playoff flaw.

Crowder, sure. Gallo, absolutely not. Would have been worse than Brook. In an ideal world Gabriel would have been on a two way all season and available for these smaller, more athletic matchups.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,739

Post#42 » by yannisk » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:03 pm

Defense has three components

scheme
personnel
effort

Firing Griffin we improved (fixed?) scheme and the effort has been great. But the personnel is still not ideal. During the regular season we may compensate the personnel with greater effort but during the playoffs where match ups are carefully studied and weak links are exploited I worry that our perimeter defense and Brook's slow legs will prove problematic
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,552

Post#43 » by -Jragon- » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:43 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Kerr only played Looney 6-minutes while Doc trotted out Brook for 28 minutes. "Thoroughly out-schemed" is hyperbole but that definitely shouldn't have happened. We needed more Crowder and Gallo, and this is why Doc being stubborn with rotations is a possible playoff flaw.

I don't mean out-schemed by playing time decisions.. it appeared that Kerr found a weak spot in our rotations that were working against the Clips and exposed it by getting several layups off back cuts in the area we don't cover as much just outside the sides of the paint. Then the resulting adjustment Doc made was to zone which left them even more open 3s to their even better shooters.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by -Jragon- » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:48 pm

Doc being a "players coach" obviously has benefits but if he can't tell G to sit his a$$ down it's still dysfunctional. I hope G knows something we don't because that was pretty ugly, honestly.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#45 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:52 pm

I didn't catch the whole game, but they were doing something to Lopez on drives. Like a backside wall off that just delayed him enough to not be able to effectively challenge their drives. He was consistently a step late to challenge at the rim.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by -Jragon- » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:57 pm

Beasley was far worse in 32 min than Brook in 28... there are also more options of people to put in for Beas than they are for Brook.

There isn't 1 measure you can find anywhere no matter how "advanced" the stats are that would show Beas wasn't worse than Brook. He was far worse and there were more options of guys to put in at that position and therefore that is the bad decision that should be talked about as the best example of inept substitution decisions last night.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by -Jragon- » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:21 pm

mediocrityrules wrote:Defense had no energy. Ball security was non-existent. It felt like Giannis was blocked 5-6 times. Not sure how we're only listed with 15 turnovers. It looked like so much more than that watching the game. We were really poor on both ends of the floor. Great game for the Beas haters.

Wasn't he blocked 2x in one possession? When you play over aggressive jumpers that are smaller than you then you use your old man pump fakes, get them in the air and find your opening to take it up when they come down and draw a foul. He like never even tried it last night and went straight into it... this is when I always question how we can be the oldest team in the league yet still a little bit dumb in the way we play.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by -Jragon- » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:32 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Crowder, sure. Gallo, absolutely not. Would have been worse than Brook. In an ideal world Gabriel would have been on a two way all season and available for these smaller, more athletic matchups.

I agree with Ron on that... Gallo needs minutes to get his flow back and last night was a perfect night to give Brook some bench as he was just a traffic cone vs those midgets. Gallo's feet slide well and is much more mobile than Brook on D. On O he needs some minutes with good players to get in the flow of the offense. Gallo and Crowder for Beas and Brook in most of those 2nd half minutes and we are in that game plus it pays dividends for our bigs depth as the year progresses. I hope at the next opportunity that Doc will recognize it and make it happen.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,604

Post#49 » by dc » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:40 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:I appreciate his willingness to fight through injury but it really didn't seem like Giannis should've played last night. That's my main takeaway.

Surprised there isn't more talk about this. I trust the medical staff, but they're not infallible. It's 100% fair to question why Giannis was even out there last night given how he looked. Warriors were completely healthy for the first time in 4-months and fresh off an embarrassing defeat. This had schedule loss written all over it.

Warriors fan here. He probably played for the same reason Steph played with a knee injury in that disastrous game in Boston: likely felt pressure from the league, as a big name player, to play in a prime time/nationally televised game.

Totally agree Giannis looked stiff/sluggish and not his usual self.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by -Jragon- » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:46 pm

M-C-G wrote:I didn't catch the whole game, but they were doing something to Lopez on drives. Like a backside wall off that just delayed him enough to not be able to effectively challenge their drives. He was consistently a step late to challenge at the rim.

it was just a regular screen, just late and down in the paint... probably a genius Kerr wrinkle from what he saw of our drop system... now it's on tape and we'll see it the rest of the year.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,337

Post#51 » by KidA24 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:42 pm

M-C-G wrote:I didn't catch the whole game, but they were doing something to Lopez on drives. Like a backside wall off that just delayed him enough to not be able to effectively challenge their drives. He was consistently a step late to challenge at the rim.

It was the Boston "Lead Blocker" they used to use often against us in the Kidd days.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,908

Post#52 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I feel the ideal world is Giannis moves up a spot and becomes the small ball 5. Like we have the theoretical best small ball 5 in the league just sitting there. Fit the rest of the lineup in between him and Dame depending what you need defensively.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,696

Post#53 » by blazza18 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:40 pm

Giannis probably shouldn't have played last night but he was mostly fine until that stretch in the third when Dame and Brook went to the bench. He just needed to play smarter and know his limitations and I think we stay in the game or even take the lead heading into the fourth. We also missed so many jumpers around the same time as everyone kind of followed his lead after that and then the rope finally gave out.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,879

Post#54 » by Dick Tate » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:44 pm

Q: How do you know when a loss is no big deal?
A: When the postgame thread is only 3 pages.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks