ImageImage

PG: Bucks Burn Suns - DAME! BOBBY! WELCOME BACK KHRIS

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Re: PG: Bucks Burn Suns - DAME! BOBBY! WELCOME BACK KHRIS 

Post#181 » by Jez2983 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

tedbrogen wrote:AJ Green should be the fifth starter. Come at me.

He will be, but likely next season. It's cool to think that we should actually have a better starting 5 next season :lol:
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#182 » by tedbrogen » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 am

emunney wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:
emunney wrote:
Lol no way dude. Football is massively different than it was. It's at least as different as basketball if not more so.

Do not agree at all, 60 years of development obviously it's going to look different but watching basketball in the 50's is totally a different game, do not get that same sense with football at all. I mean it's just how you take in what you're watching and rating historical players is highly personal in the first place, you can disagree but it's just what I think of what I'm watching. Like sure it would be hard to rate Don Hutson but at least it doesn't look like he is playing pickleball to me

Dude, when Hutson played, an incomplete pass in the endzone was an automatic turnover. Defensive pass interference didn't exist until the late 1970s.

Wait? For real? Like if you threw an incomplete pass and it landed in the end zone it was a turnover? So you had to make sure you threw to guys short of the end zone in case it was dropped?
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 866

Post#183 » by MiltownMadness » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:42 am

emunney wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:
emunney wrote:
Lol no way dude. Football is massively different than it was. It's at least as different as basketball if not more so.

Do not agree at all, 60 years of development obviously it's going to look different but watching basketball in the 50's is totally a different game, do not get that same sense with football at all. I mean it's just how you take in what you're watching and rating historical players is highly personal in the first place, you can disagree but it's just what I think of what I'm watching. Like sure it would be hard to rate Don Hutson but at least it doesn't look like he is playing pickleball to me

Dude, when Hutson played, an incomplete pass in the endzone was an automatic turnover. Defensive pass interference didn't exist until the late 1970s.

And you had an MVP shooting 37% in 1957 (6'1' PG). You can go back and forth about all the changes in the rules forever but basketball that far back is just another animal to me when I watch it :dontknow:
MiltownMadness
Starter

Post#184 » by MiltownMadness » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am

Ik I'm the one doing it but just pointing out that it's funny how Americans always find a way to relate everything to football
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#185 » by tedbrogen » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 am

MiltownMadness wrote:
emunney wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:Do not agree at all, 60 years of development obviously it's going to look different but watching basketball in the 50's is totally a different game, do not get that same sense with football at all. I mean it's just how you take in what you're watching and rating historical players is highly personal in the first place, you can disagree but it's just what I think of what I'm watching. Like sure it would be hard to rate Don Hutson but at least it doesn't look like he is playing pickleball to me

And you had an MVP shooting 37% in 1957 (6'1' PG). You can go back and forth about all the changes in the rules forever but basketball that far back is just another animal to me when I watch it :dontknow:

I was going to try and make a joke about the 1957 NFL MVP but I found out it was Jim Brown. He was 6’2 235 and ran a sub10 100 yard dash. He probably easily plays in today’s NFL.
MiltownMadness
Starter

Post#186 » by MiltownMadness » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 am

tedbrogen wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:
emunney wrote:

I was going to try and make a joke about the 1957 NFL MVP but I found out it was Jim Brown. He was 6’2 235 and ran a sub10 100 yard dash. He probably easily plays in today’s NFL.

Yeah about the only NBA equivalent is Wilt but he was a 60's guy.

Fun fact that was also his rookie season. Monster
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#187 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 pm

Reminder that everyone wanting Bobby traded for trash like Grant Williams deserves a shot to the taint.
Do it for Chuck
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,114

Post#188 » by BigO » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:And you had an MVP shooting 37% in 1957 (6'1' PG). You can go back and forth about all the changes in the rules forever but basketball that far back is just another animal to me when I watch it :dontknow:

The players today are more skilled (although I would certainly argue they're not as smart basketball-wise), but to use a guy's shooting percentage in 1957 as proof of some superior player, is not evidence.

Have you ever considered that the players long ago played better defense than they do today? They certainly played more physical, which lowers shooting percentages. In 1957 you could have two hands on a guy all the time and no whistle was blown. Different game.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#189 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Reminder that everyone wanting Bobby traded for trash like Grant Williams deserves a shot to the taint.

Reminder that you basically just called for Dame to be executed for having the gall to go watch his former teammates play in Chicago.

:lol:
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#190 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Reminder that everyone wanting Bobby traded for trash like Grant Williams deserves a shot to the taint.

Reminder that you basically just called for Dame to be executed for having the gall to go watch his former teammates play in Chicago.

aaaand?
Do it for Chuck
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,616

Post#191 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 pm

BigO wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:

The players today are more skilled (although I would certainly argue they're not as smart basketball-wise), but to use a guy's shooting percentage in 1957 as proof of some superior player, is not evidence.

Have you ever considered that the players long ago played better defense than they do today? They certainly played more physical, which lowers shooting percentages. In 1957 you could have two hands on a guy all the time and no whistle was blown. Different game.

Defenses today are so dramatically better. They just don't seem like it because of the massive improvement in skill.

Guarding a team full of players with 3rd grade level dribbling skill is so much easier.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,972

Post#192 » by sidney lanier » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 pm

BigO wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:
tedbrogen wrote:

And they had to dribble above the equator of the ball, which made Steph "Carry" moves propelling yourself forward with a scoop dribble something you couldn't do. Still, they had handles, and the mental image some here seem to have of gym class dweebs dribbling with two hands could not be further from the truth.

"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,423

Post#193 » by GoldenAntlers » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Reminder that Bobby played like ass for 50 games. We're all happy he looks like himself again. Let's move on.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,724

Post#194 » by msiris » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 pm

We will see how he does in the playoffs. Remmber the regular season doesn't matter. :)
Ride the tank
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#195 » by Profound23 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:54 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

Also, I don't know who everyone is. I have been saying there is no way we should trade a young, extremely cheap contract like Bobby unless it is for a consensus upgrade. I will say this the next time he goes 2/14 from the field too. In fact, Bobby supporters were told we are holding on to a negative asset because of emotions.
BigO
Analyst

Post#196 » by BigO » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
BigO wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:Yeah about the only NBA equivalent is Wilt but he was a 60's guy.

And they had to dribble above the equator of the ball, which made Steph "Carry" moves propelling yourself forward with a scoop dribble something you couldn't do. Still, they had handles, and the mental image some here seem to have of gym class dweebs dribbling with two hands could not be further from the truth.

+100%

The idea that players couldn't dribble long ago just reinforces the idea that if you don't know, don't judge. Better to listen to your elders. Sidney is never wrong.

The other great point you made is that in the "old days" every move that is let go now would be called a carry. It's getting so bad, they should just legalize it.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#197 » by fam3381 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 pm

Ben Taylor did a fascinating summary of how ball-handling/interpretation of traveling and other rules have evolved significantly over time. As someone who started watching the NBA in the '90s, I felt like I learned a ton about the history of the game watching this:

Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,020

Post#198 » by German Athens » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 pm

Just for the record on the trade Bobby front. It wasn’t about this year. It was about how he hasn’t been a reliably positive player in the post season for 3 straight years. Reallocating Bobby’s salary/minutes for a guy who could more reliably give you difference making defense rather than relying on whether Bobby happened to make the shot was likely to produce a more consistent role player. One who could hopefully be relied upon to play every game in every series, and not rack up DNP’s against the most physical defenses.

With that stated, he’s been playing the best ball of his career since the all-star break. He’s not just scoring well, but he’s reading the floor better and sprinkling in passes I can’t recall him making before. A lot of the positivity could be unseasonably warm shooting, but he also looks more comfortable than ever. Here’s to hoping he’s found a new tier of performance which has been shown as a possibility after some tough playoff experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,753

Post#199 » by emunney » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 pm

tedbrogen wrote:
emunney wrote:
MiltownMadness wrote:Do not agree at all, 60 years of development obviously it's going to look different but watching basketball in the 50's is totally a different game, do not get that same sense with football at all. I mean it's just how you take in what you're watching and rating historical players is highly personal in the first place, you can disagree but it's just what I think of what I'm watching. Like sure it would be hard to rate Don Hutson but at least it doesn't look like he is playing pickleball to me

Wait? For real? Like if you threw an incomplete pass and it landed in the end zone it was a turnover? So you had to make sure you threw to guys short of the end zone in case it was dropped?

Yeah, rule changed pretty early in Hutson's career but still. For almost Hutson's whole career, the QB/TB had to be 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage to throw a forward pass. The guy who led the Packers in passing in Hutson's last couple years retired as the NFL's all-time interceptions *caught* leader (Milwaukee's own Irv Comp). In 1944, he threw 21 INTs, but picked off 6. Also led the NFL in passing yards that year with 1159. Hutson caught 58 passes, nobody else on the team had double digit recs.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BigO
Analyst

Post#200 » by BigO » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:32 pm

German Athens wrote:Just for the record on the trade Bobby front. It wasn’t about this year. It was about how he hasn’t been a reliably positive player in the post season for 3 straight years. Reallocating Bobby’s salary/minutes for a guy who could more reliably give you difference making defense rather than relying on whether Bobby happened to make the shot was likely to produce a more consistent role player. One who could hopefully be relied upon to play every game in every series, and not rack up DNP’s against the most physical defenses.

With that stated, he’s been playing the best ball of his career since the all-star break. He’s not just scoring well, but he’s reading the floor better and sprinkling in passes I can’t recall him making before. A lot of the positivity could be unseasonably warm shooting, but he also looks more comfortable than ever. Here’s to hoping he’s found a new tier of performance which has been shown as a possibility after some tough playoff experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've agreed not to rehash the Bobby arguments, so I won't list all the ways I disagree with this. I'll just say in the championship game he had 16 points against Phoenix, second only to KM's 17 and Giannis's 50. How soon we forget.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks