ImageImage

PG: Bucks Burn Suns - DAME! BOBBY! WELCOME BACK KHRIS

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,979

Re: PG: Bucks Burn Suns - DAME! BOBBY! WELCOME BACK KHRIS 

Post#201 » by sidney lanier » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:41 pm

fam3381 wrote:Ben Taylor did a fascinating summary of how ball-handling/interpretation of traveling and other rules have evolved significantly over time. As someone who started watching the NBA in the '90s, I felt like I learned a ton about the history of the game watching this:

This is the best analysis i've ever seen about the way things have changed. His video examples are terrific. Thanks for posting.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,529

Post#202 » by -Jragon- » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:44 pm

Referring to Bobby making smarter passes... I think that's the effect of having new people here that have higher basketball IQ.. starting with all the work GA has done to learn post play and now PnR, Doc and his staff, seeing Dame make the correct play over and over, Pat Bev is basically a coach on the floor like PJ was, I'm guessing these film sessions are a lot smarter and more detailed now. I think Bud simplified basketball for us and that's what we needed at that time but now we have these genius teams like Boston and Miami to go against and we need to be able to switch things up/adjust/confuse/etc like they do to beat them.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#203 » by BigO » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:18 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
fam3381 wrote:Ben Taylor did a fascinating summary of how ball-handling/interpretation of traveling and other rules have evolved significantly over time. As someone who started watching the NBA in the '90s, I felt like I learned a ton about the history of the game watching this:

This is the best analysis i've ever seen about the way things have changed. His video examples are terrific. Thanks for posting.

I agree. It's so much easier now to score because you can carry and travel at the same time. Giannis would not like it changed.
RW23
Junior
And1: 195

Post#204 » by RW23 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 pm

MiltownMadness wrote:
RW23 wrote:
mcfromage wrote:Super fun game. I wanted to shout out PatBev who plays super in the flow and in control, forces nothing, makes the right pass, and his active hands led to some clutch steals.

Also this was my first game at Fiserv, incredibly, as I rarely make it back to MKE. Much more comfortable, aesthetic experience than the Staples/Crypto arena where I normally see games in LA. The smaller size / intimacy was so nice, and nice to see a day game with some daylight streaming in. Was hugely impressed with the space, sightlines and layout etc. As I've seen noted elsewhere, it was eerily quiet at times though which to me that feels as much a function of the design and soundproofing as a lack of enthusiasm in the crowd. Also at Crypto Arena the music is constant and annoyingly loud. Felt I was more locked into the game experience at Fiserv throughout, and I credit the quiet in part for that. Can't wait to return.

I have no idea how someone can think the Fiserv is quiet, I always leave games with a hoarse voice from shouting to the person I came with the whole game lol

It's just how it comes across on TV, Bradley center was louder at certain moments but I've been to so many games that were loud af at Fiserv just to see VooDoo complaining about the crowd the next day.

Even game 6 of the finals wasn't Bradley center loud on TV even though there were 150,000 people concentrated in an area screaming their lungs off

Ah, to be clear, I meant from the music and in-game sounds they're constantly blaring, not the fan volume.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#205 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 pm

BigO wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:

I agree. It's so much easier now to score because you can carry and travel at the same time. Giannis would not like it changed.

But today the defenses are smarter, and the athletes are better and more skilled.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#206 » by BigO » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:27 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
BigO wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:

But today the defenses are smarter, and the athletes are better and more skilled.

Yes to the athletes are better, not sure why you think the defenses are smarter.

And while players are more skilled, you'd think they wouldn't need to travel and carry the ball almost every time they touch it. I'd be in favor of enforcing the rules. Let's see how dynamic those crossover dribbles are then.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,173

Post#207 » by DingleJerry » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:34 pm

With how much quicker, longer, and athletic the athletes are now if you had to dribble palms down like the old I don't think you'd be able to do anything on offense vs the athleticism defending you now. That said, its gotten way out of hand and some pullback should come. For the all the MJ fanboys imo this was a legacy started from him.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:37 pm

BigO wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
BigO wrote:

Yes to the athletes are better, not sure why you think the defenses are smarter.

And while players are more skilled, you'd think they wouldn't need to travel and carry the ball almost every time they touch it. I'd be in favor of enforcing the rules. Let's see how dynamic those crossover dribbles are then.

Because they have to be. The NBA isn't dribble it down, dump it into the post, watch one-on-one possessions anymore.

I don't like that the NBA is a three point shooting contest now, but it's still light years better than anything before 2010.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:44 pm

Knicks vs Rockets is when I really started to love the NBA.

The style of basketball is truly unwatchable by today's standards.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks