PG Pacers Game 5 - Big Win

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,511

Re: PG Pacers Game 5 - Big Win 

Post#281 » by old skool » Wed May 1, 2024 6:18 pm

What a game.

Great performances by lots of individuals and the team as a unit.

But. Rivers is oft criticized for his lack of adjustments. Adjustments galore in this series.

Beverly moves to the starting line up at the end of the RS.

With Giannis and Lillard sitting out Game 4, Portis gets ejected but the team is still competitive.

Crowder goes from major minutes to DNP in Game 5 as the Bucks go with mostly a 7 man rotation, with a resuscitated Danilo Gallinari contributing a not-horrible 20 minutes as an important part of that 7 man rotation.

Indy's 3-point shooting is disrupted by a scheme that fortifies the perimeter while conceding 2s.

Small forward Pat Connaughton assumes emergency backup PG duties, bringing the ball up against pressure and initiating the offense.

In a do or die game 5 Rivers goes all in playing a gimpy Middleton and a mercurial Portis 21 minutes each. In the first half.

Malik Beasley gets only 10 minutes in the first half, but 18 minutes in the second half when he scored 18 points on 7 for 11 shooting, 4 for 6 from 3-point, had 3 strong rebounds and 3 steals. Props to Beasley for a great game, but also props to the coaching staff for keeping him engaged and ready to contribute after being demoted from the starting lineup and having his minutes reduced.

The Bucks were a race car, trying to compete after blowing their engine and losing their steering and half their tires. Doc took the leftover parts and assembled a car that might not win the race, but a car that looks like it can compete in, if not win, any race. Heck, maybe a car that could even win the Indy 500.
JonHeist
Junior
And1: 595

Post#282 » by JonHeist » Wed May 1, 2024 6:20 pm

PatBev will be back next year

Haslam will slip him something under the table if need be
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,772

Post#283 » by jimmybones » Wed May 1, 2024 6:49 pm

SirChurros wrote:Also Pat Bev’s “too little” taunt is the most chef’s kiss thing when he’s on your team.

I find it corny even on my team but maybe I'm just getting old
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#284 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:04 pm

jimmybones wrote:
SirChurros wrote:Also Pat Bev’s “too little” taunt is the most chef’s kiss thing when he’s on your team.

It's corny as all hell, that and the "flashing a trey" gesture after a dude makes one wide-open three. And I'm not old.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,287

Post#285 » by WiscoKing13 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:05 pm

Keeping an eye on the betting line the last 4 to 6 hrs and it hasn't changed from +8. Apparently they don't think either guy will be healthy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using RealGM mobile app
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#286 » by MissKhriddleton » Wed May 1, 2024 7:09 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:Keeping an eye on the betting line the last 4 to 6 hrs and it hasn't changed from +8. Apparently they don't think either guy will be healthy.

+620 to take the series… :nod:
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,287

Post#287 » by WiscoKing13 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:10 pm

Something that hasn't been talked about enough is Tyrese looking worse and worse as this series goes on. He can easily be out this game or pulled at any point for back issues.

DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,099

Post#288 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 1, 2024 7:16 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:Keeping an eye on the betting line the last 4 to 6 hrs and it hasn't changed from +8. Apparently they don't think either guy will be healthy.

+620 to take the series… :nod:

It opened at 9 and is currently 7.5 at my book so there has been some movement but not for the last several hours. Waiting on the injury report. If both are doubtful on the initial injury report later this afternoon there will be movement up. If it's questionable there may be movement down.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#289 » by Ruben Quevedo » Wed May 1, 2024 7:21 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
Ruben Quevedo wrote:A fun win but it felt like a classic "moral victory" (in the context of the series as a whole) where everything goes right but none of it is sustainable. I hope that game doesn't influence any roster decisions this offseason.

Playing defense isn't sustainable?

I still saw Pat/Khris/Bobby/Brook getting torched on dribble drives. We scrambled really well, forced turnovers, and Indy missed their 3's.

Put Giannis back in the lineup and we are still too slow.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,996

Post#290 » by soxperry » Wed May 1, 2024 7:25 pm

Ruben Quevedo wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
Ruben Quevedo wrote:A fun win but it felt like a classic "moral victory" (in the context of the series as a whole) where everything goes right but none of it is sustainable. I hope that game doesn't influence any roster decisions this offseason.

Playing defense isn't sustainable?

I still saw Pat/Khris/Bobby/Brook getting torched on dribble drives. We scrambled really well, forced turnovers, and Indy missed their 3's.

Put Giannis back in the lineup and we are still too slow.

Sure... But we should still win the minutes hes on the court pretty easily. As long as Khris can tread water in his off minutes, we're golden
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,115

Post#291 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 1, 2024 7:49 pm

Can't really keep using this "they just didn't hit their 3's" excuse when they made one more 3-pointer than we did (12 to 11). Again, letting Turner and Siakam hoist above-the-break 3's is a good strategy (they went 2-for-8 combined, with only one attempt coming from the corners). Also, Indiana has only been a slightly above-average 3PT shooting team all year (15th in attempts, 9th in efficiency). Even without Giannis or Dame, we attacked the rim (20 to 13 FT advantage) and controlled the pace. We're shooting 37% from 3 for the series to their 35%. If anything, Game 4 was a complete outlier for them, and we're the ones due for an outlier type shooting night. Let's just hope it happens Thursday.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,963

Post#292 » by emunney » Wed May 1, 2024 7:58 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Can't really keep using this "they just didn't hit their 3's" excuse when they made one more 3-pointer than we did (12 to 11). Again, letting Turner and Siakam hoist above-the-break 3's is a good strategy (they went 2-for-8 combined, with only one attempt coming from the corners). Also, Indiana has only been a slightly above-average 3PT shooting team all year (15th in attempts, 9th in efficiency). Even without Giannis or Dame, we attacked the rim (20 to 13 FT advantage) and controlled the pace. We're shooting 37% from 3 for the series to their 35%. If anything, Game 4 was a complete outlier for them, and we're the ones due for an outlier type shooting night. Let's just hope it happens Thursday.

Since he became a starter, Siakam's had 1 series where he shot > 25% from 3. Plus it makes it that much harder for him to get on the offensive glass. I let him shoot long jumpers until his arm falls off.

The value trade-off isn't as extreme as it is for Giannis but it does point you to the same tactic.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,759

Post#293 » by chonestown » Wed May 1, 2024 8:00 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

It's corny as all hell, that and the "flashing a trey" gesture after a dude makes one wide-open three. And I'm not old.

Should do the Ken Powers moneyshot gesture.imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,673

Post#294 » by -Jragon- » Wed May 1, 2024 8:05 pm

News looking good on GA and DL
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#295 » by Profound23 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:06 pm

chonestown wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

I don't think it's corny, just overused. Using a too small on someone when you had to maneuver every which way to get off a layup is weird.

Using it after you dunk on someone makes sense. But I get it when you're a player the size of Pat going against Giants.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#296 » by MoreTrife » Wed May 1, 2024 8:07 pm

chonestown wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#297 » by MoreTrife » Wed May 1, 2024 8:07 pm

-Jragon- wrote:News looking good on GA and DL

What are you seeing?
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#298 » by Profound23 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:08 pm

What did you hear besides Doc's weird quote of "I don't know" followed up by "very, very, very close."

I think they are both back tomorrow even if it means rushing them back. I hope I am wrong about the rushing them back part but I think they just see it as the time to do it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,099

Post#299 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 1, 2024 8:16 pm

MoreTrife wrote:

What are you seeing?

Always provide a link when posting stuff like this.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,211

Post#300 » by BigO » Wed May 1, 2024 8:23 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
BigO wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
Agree. I hope no one with decision-making power is looking at that game and thinking our "others" are fine. Everybody who played last night can GTFO if it makes my favorite team better.

Well I agree roster decisions shouldn't be based on one game, but many of you want to make roster decisions based on two stars not being able to play. That's even worse.

You're talking to the guy who wanted Jae and Pat out of here before the season started. The guy who was virtually begging for Dairy Bird to get some playing time. Before the trade deadline, I was posting about blowing it all up, even BEFORE Griff was fired. So, no sir, I'm not operating from recency bias. We need an infusion of athletic youth or we are doomed.

Supreme, you convinced me that you're not the ringleader of the Luddite faction of RealGM.

And of course, can't argue against getting more athletic. It's like being against apple pie.

However, being doomed with a starting lineup which includes Dame, KM and Giannis is hardly being doomed. Even in their prime, KM and Dame were never athletic.

I want basketball skills more than athleticism and all three are elite in that area.

You can argue they'll never be healthy, but that's a different discussion.

This season, when the big 3 were together on the floor, they were the best in the league. And that's with a flawed Beasley on the floor with them. If that's doomed, sign me up.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks