ImageImage

OT: Wisconsin Recruiting Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#61 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:10 am

So, as far as I'm concerned, this has turned into the Wisconsin Recruiting Thread. Might as well keep it going.

A friend informed me that 08 recruit Jordan Taylor dropped 40+ in a Minnesota state tournament game tonight, and his team rolled onto the next round. When I get home I'll look into it more and try to find an article and write-up to post.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#62 » by LUKE23 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:31 am

I also read a nice article on Markolf, the center from San Antonio. He has gone from 185 pounds as a freshman to 7-1/270 as a senior. The Badgers are going to have some SERIOUS beef inside with Nankivil/Berggren/Markolf. If one of Taylor/Wilson is ready to play next year, and it sounds like Taylor is, Badgers should pick up right where they left off.

I really think we need to land Jamil though Mike, albeit unlikely. We badly need that 6-6/6-7 slasher type to fill out the roster.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#63 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 am

43 Points, 3 Rebounds, 4 Assists, 2 Steals and he hit 16-18 at the FT line.

http://mshsl.org/mshsl/showgameinfo.asp?game=288911

Regarding Jamil, I wouldn't call him a "need" because we'll still be fine without him, and his scholarship could be applied to the state's apparent stellar '10 class. I'd love to land him but I'm not convinced we'll wait for him or even if we have a scholly left for him at this point. As we continue to recruit the 08 class even, I can't even begin to predict how it'll all play out.

At the least, here's to hoping.

I just don't know. It's hard to predict. I know Bo would love to have him if it works out, but I'm sure the staff is exploring other options. With Diamond in the mix in 09 already, having shown a propensity to score and the possibility of him growing a few more inches yet, Bruiser to take over the...bruiser role, and with our great 08 class, Bo will continue to do great.

I really love the 08 class, what I have seen and heard of them. All 4 of them.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#64 » by LUKE23 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:27 am

Yeah, the 08 class I'm pumped about. Wilson started getting serious interest right after we offered him, and is definitely one of the sleepers of the class overall.

I hope we can land a big timer with the last schollie for 09.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#65 » by Bernman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:39 am

Mike, I'm not a member at Rivals anymore. When you get a piece of information, or want to talk recruiting, you should stop by Recruiting Planet. A few people actually post on the basketball board there now. :lol:
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#66 » by MajorDad » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:09 am

IU just lost it's star recruit 6'8 Ebanks. who was supposed to be mcDonalds All american, but was not picked for the game.

he's not headed to either purdue or UW, but will make a nice catch for some team. IU's class just went down the drain with his departure.

Purdue still has 1 scholarship left to give, but it appears as if they are going to apply it to 2009 class rather than 2008.

Purdue needs a BEEFY big man bad.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#67 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:04 am

Bernman wrote:Mike, I'm not a member at Rivals anymore. When you get a piece of information, or want to talk recruiting, you should stop by Recruiting Planet. A few people actually post on the basketball board there now. :lol:

I really have been horrible at stopping by there. Not trying to abandon it by any means. I'll try to make a more conscious effort to head over there sometimes.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#68 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 am

Regarding Jordan, thanks to Ole at BN/BB:

"I think he was 5-6 from the line and finished with 19 points and 7 assists after limited time in the second half. The game was never close, and is finally almost over. It's currently 96-64 with a minute to go. One more to go on Saturday night for Benilde, as they play either St. Thomas Academy or Willmar for the 3A state championship."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#69 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:48 am

The powers that be have answered my request. Welcome to the UW basketball recruiting thread :)
Bucks_Revenge
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#70 » by Bucks_Revenge » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:23 am

dont want to take this off topic but Marquette and Tom Crean has done another horrible job recruiting.....
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#71 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:03 pm

Fantastic body control by Taylor. This was Benilde's latest game. They steamrolled their opponent and JT saw limited minutes, yet had 19 points.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S393333 ... =10564&v=1
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#72 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Apr 8, 2008 12:06 am

Ryan Evans, from Chandler, Arizona, has committed to the Badgers for the 08 class according to multiple sources. This pretty much means so'long for Jamil Wilson, barring unexpected transfer(s).
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#73 » by SugarRay34 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 12:37 am

That sucks I thought Wilson would have been the ultimate fit for the Badgers system. I am now going to say Wilson ends up at IU with Crean
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#74 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 1:17 pm

If Wilson lands at Indiana I will probably vomit profusely.

Since it's impossible to question anything Bo does at BadgerNation without getting lamblasted, I will do it here.

Now, I admit I don't know much about this Evans kid. He appears to have some game and he's still growing into his body, so he could maybe be a sleeper. But my issue with giving the last remaining scholarship at the present time to him is that IMO, if the Badgers didn't land Jamil for the class of 2009, they still could have used the scholarship for another player in 2009 or 2010 that is probably just as good as Evans. Why not give a big time recruit in state some time?

If Wilson ends up at Indiana or Marquette and dominates, there will be a lot of upset Badger fans.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#75 » by xTitan » Tue Apr 8, 2008 9:56 pm

LUKE23 wrote:If Wilson lands at Indiana I will probably vomit profusely.

Since it's impossible to question anything Bo does at BadgerNation without getting lamblasted, I will do it here.

Now, I admit I don't know much about this Evans kid. He appears to have some game and he's still growing into his body, so he could maybe be a sleeper. But my issue with giving the last remaining scholarship at the present time to him is that IMO, if the Badgers didn't land Jamil for the class of 2009, they still could have used the scholarship for another player in 2009 or 2010 that is probably just as good as Evans. Why not give a big time recruit in state some time?

If Wilson ends up at Indiana or Marquette and dominates, there will be a lot of upset Badger fans.

I am with you 100%...I love what Ryan has done and he will be remembered at the guy who really made the UW basketball program relevent...but I don't think he will ever recruit good enough to make a national championship run, that may be left up to his eventual successor.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#76 » by Bernman » Tue Apr 8, 2008 10:30 pm

LUKE23 wrote:If Wilson lands at Indiana I will probably vomit profusely.

Badger Nation and Buckyville are boy's clubs for the most part. There are about 5,000 members and 3 people with their own original opinions.

And the dominant opinion there about recruiting is basically nihilistic and nobody should challenge any decision either head coach in the two majors sports make. They are worried they'll lose their contacts within the program if they question any of the decisions. Also, Wisconsin has always over-achieved their recruit's star ratings so each individual recruit ceases to lose meaning to them. But thanks to the internet fans don't have star ratings to solely base their opinions. There are videos, statistics, articles with unbiased evaluations, etc. Recruiting is a huge deal amongst other team's fans because just like in the NBA, the collective abilities of your players make the program what it is or will become.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#77 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 11:06 pm

I agree with both of you guys no question. Whenever anyone questions UW recruiting, the next thing out of someone's mouth is "well stars don't mean anything, look at Tucker, look at Harris". And I'm not saying Bo can't recruit, because he obviously can or he wouldn't lead the Big Ten in winning % since his arrival. However, the level of big time athletes we have gotten to go along with basketball talent is lacking (this is something no one really wants to hear, but is true, does anyone think we would have hung with Kansas or Memphis last night??). I expect UW to always win under Bo, always make the tournament, and always dominate Big Ten play. I just hope and wish that the program is eyeing the next level. It's the same thing as the football team, they are good and going to remain good now, but how do you get to the next step?

Personally, I thought a guy like Jamil, a 5 star athletic SF in your own backyard might be worth waiting for.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks