Has Hammond extended Bogut already?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#121 » by paul » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:40 pm

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The truth is too much for you?

Ridiculous statements are too much for me. There are two other PG's on this team, one is a scrub earning very little, the other is a 17 game rookie. Trying to defend Mo by saying he's a better defender than either of them just sounds sad, even if you believe it's true, which by the way I don't.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#122 » by midranger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:41 pm

Defense on/off stats, are probably the best objective measure of a player's overall impact on a team's defense.

With Mo on the court, the Bucks were 0.3 points per 100 possessions worse than they were with him off the court. Mo played his minutes primarily against starters and primarily while the season still mattered.

With Ivey on the court, the Bucks were 0.4 points per 100 possessions worse than they were with him off the court. Ivey primarily played in a backup role except when Redd or Mo were hurt.

With Sessions on the court the Bucks were 2.1 points per 100 possessions worse than they were with him off the court. Sessions played largely when the season was over and teams were tanking.

In sum:

Mo made our defense 0.3 points worse, Ivey made it 0.4 points worse, Sessions made it 2.1 points worse.

In comparison, Redd made it 4.6 points worse, and Villanueva made it 5.5 points worse.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
midranger
RealGM

Post#123 » by midranger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:42 pm

Trying to say that Mo is the worst defender at the PG position in the NBA is sad, given that there are two worse defenders at that position on his own team. That's too much for me.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#124 » by showtimesam » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Give up the Mo argument.

Watching him his entire career with the Bucks its clear he is an awful defender. Face the facts.

Too bad we paid him all that money, we could have gotten a better "pg" with about the same defense in sessions for alot less money.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#125 » by europa » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:16 pm

If we're going to say that Sessions is an inferior defender to Mo after 17 games of his career compared to five seasons for Mo, then we can also say that Sessions is a superior PG to Mo given how Mo has never come close to putting up the type of assist numbers Sessions did as a starter for the Bucks. Sessions also shot 47% from the floor as a starter whereas Mo has shot 45.5% in his three seasons as a starter for the Bucks. So it looks like we can say Sessions is a better shooter than Mo is too.

This game is fun. :)

Oh and saying Mo is a better defender than Ivey sure is great praise for Mo. Let's see, Mo is a better defender than a guy who'd be lucky to get off the bench on a contending team. There's some big-time praise right there. Way to go Mo. You're a better defender than a scrub. Nicely done.
Nothing will not break me.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#126 » by xTitan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:17 pm

Sessions is not a worse defender than Mo Williams...Mo Williams is by far the worst defender, of any guard on the Bucks team.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#127 » by showtimesam » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:20 pm

xTitan wrote:Sessions is not a worse defender than Mo Williams...Mo Williams is by far the worst defender, of any guard on the Bucks team.

I definitely agree with this.

Sessions pretty much harrassed and shut down Crawford in that game against the Knicks.

I've never seen MO get under the skin of someone like that. Mo is just a horrible defender.

I'm glad he'll be gone soon so we dont have to bring up his name anymore.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#128 » by REDDzone » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:20 pm

I just think its too early for anyone to say how good of a defender Sessions is.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
midranger
RealGM

Post#129 » by midranger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:34 pm

Channelling Epi:

It's really too bad your perceptions don't match the reality of the situation.

The list of guys who defend either guard position better than Mo on the Milwaukee Bucks circa 2007-2008 begins and ends with Charlie Bell. I think Desmond Mason definitely could as well, but he got almost all of his time at the SF in his couple years here so I couldn't say for sure.

No one said that this is a complement for Mo, it was just meant to show how ridiculous statments like Mo being the worst defender in the NBA have no merit. Mo is a bad bad bad defender to be sure. We all know this

There are several worse defenders on this team. 2 of which play the same position, one of which is makin 17 million dollars over the next 3 years.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,245

Post#130 » by Sigra » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:44 pm

I honestly don't care about stats when we talk about defense. After all, I am the one who called G. Wallace bad defender although he collect all that steals and blocks. Sessions is WAY better defender than Mo and Ivey is better as well.

What is important for me when I talk about defense is how much player knows where he is, where is his man, where his man can go and what his man can do at that moment, where is ball (when it's not in hands of his man), how that ball can be passed (where are all 5 players of oponent), what is his exactly role in that defansive scheme and things like that. In all of that Mo Williams is worst backcourt defender that I ever saw in NBA and nope Redd is not even close.

What midranger watch is how quick players foots are, how quick his hands are, how many highlight moves at defense that player make (usualy by gambling on his man).

That's probably why we disagree about this.
midranger
RealGM

Post#131 » by midranger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:49 pm

You watch where the ball is? With Ramon Sessions playing D it was at the bottom of the net far more than with Mo Williams.

That's fact.

I don't really care what else you think you saw.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,142

Post#132 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:07 pm

showtimesam wrote: I'm glad he'll be gone soon so we dont have to bring up his name anymore

I'm here as well. But we'll have to wait until after July 1st for his BYC status to clear up.

The interesting thing is that I'm usually pretty nervous about trading a guy, worried he'll blow up somewhere else. I'm not really concerned about it with Mo. I think he is what we thought he was at this point.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#133 » by REDDzone » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:11 pm

The interesting thing is that I'm usually pretty nervous about trading a guy, worried he'll blow up somewhere else. I'm not really concerned about it with Mo. I think he is what we thought he was at this point.

The interesting part about this is that I actually could see Mo doing really well for someone else. I just don't think he is the answer in Milwaukee anymore, solely for defensive reasons.

Hell, I'll still follow Mo if he is traded. He has just been part of this team for far too long for me not to follow him. And I even hope he would be great, but regardless of how he does elsewhere, I don't think he is our answer here.

Same with Redd actually, I could see Redd being one of the best third bananas in the league with the Mavericks or a team like that, doesn't mean I'd miss him.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Sigra
RealGM

Post#134 » by Sigra » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:19 pm

midranger wrote:You watch where the ball is? With Ramon Sessions playing D it was at the bottom of the net far more than with Mo Williams.

That's fact.

And where the Charlie Bell was? I will help you here. Bell was injured before Sessions get all of that big minutes. Therefore our 2nd best defender (Charlie Bell) was not there to help our defense when Session played. But Bell was there when Mo played so that is one of the main resosons why we defended better at that time. When 2 of your 5 players play defense (Bogut and Bell) you will play better defense in comparasion when only one of your players (Bogut) play defense.

And then we have Yi factor. There is no doubt that Yi played solid defense in first few months and again that was time when Mo played and Session didn't.

Some more facts for you mid because I see that you love facts :wink:
midranger
RealGM

Post#135 » by midranger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:19 pm

I'll say it again, both Redd and Mo could be the third guy on a good team. In that role, I think that they give you nearly identical production with Mo being a little more versatile. The difference is Mike will be paid twice as much.

Paying a third guy 17 million is damn near insane.
midranger
RealGM

Post#136 » by midranger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Sigra wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And where the Charlie Bell was? I will help you here. Bell was injured before Sessions get all of that big minutes. Therefore our 2nd best defender (Charlie Bell) was not there to help our defense when Session played. But Bell was there when Mo played so that is one of the main resosons why we defended better at that time. When 2 of your 5 players play defense (Bogut and Bell) you will play better defense in comparasion when only one of your players (Bogut) play defense.

And then we have Yi factor. There is no doubt that Yi played solid defense in first few months and again that was time when Mo played and Session didn't.

Some more facts for you mid because I see that you love facts :wink:

Charlie Bell was not a starter. Him being on the court with the subs would have made Mo's on/off split worse. Anyway....

Anyone wonder how Sessions got 24 assists? Having Bell and Yi on the bench was a good start.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#137 » by REDDzone » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm not even lookin at salaries when I say these things.

I don't see this team being a contender with Redd as its best player and I believe Redd has been top dog around here for too long to accept any other role, he has just wore out his welcome in my eyes.

I don't see this team being a contender with Mo as starting PG either, ever.

And if we go a few more losing seasons with Bogut, then I'll feel the same way about him.
Sigra
RealGM

Post#138 » by Sigra » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 pm

midranger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Charlie Bell was not a starter. Him being on the court with the subs would have made Mo's on/off split worse. Anyway....

Anyone wonder how Sessions got 24 assists? Having Bell and Yi on the bench was a good start.

Bell played together with Mo a lot of minutes with Mo being PG and Bell being SG or even SF.

Also, we all know that defense is all about effort. Mo played at that time of season when our players still played for something and put some effort in that. Sessions played when nobody cared anymore so it is normall that we didn't have any effort at the end of season. No effort no defense.

It is not fair to use stats in this case at all. Completly diferent envoirment.

So what we have left? Our eyes only. And when you watch how this guys play there should be no doubt who is better defender. Unless you are emotionaly attached to one of them. I am not as I don't care for eather.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#139 » by Nowak008 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:40 pm

REDDzone wrote:I'm not even lookin at salaries when I say these things.

Huh?

I don't see this team being a contender with Mo as starting PG either, ever.

On this team or on any team?
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#140 » by redred9 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:54 pm

Nowak008 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

On this team or on any team?

i think he can be successful on most teams where hes not the primary playmaker on the team. Next to Wade, Lebron, Roy etc i think he'd look pretty good. Like Bobby Jackson back in the day.

But his low bball iq COMBINED with his lack of d, plus Redd as his backcourt partner make him a real bad fit in Milwaukee.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks