ImageImage

OT: Vander Blue Commits to UW (Class of 2010)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

OT: Vander Blue Commits to UW (Class of 2010) 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:11 am

Huge get for the Badgers, this guy has a lot of game and is only a sophomore, very athletic player that can score outside and getting to the rim. Joins fellow Memorial alum Keaton Nankivil.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archi ... onsin.aspx
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#2 » by xTitan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:13 am

nice get...now bring in Evan Anderson and you have a couple blue-chippers in 2010....no pun intended.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#3 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:25 am

While none of it was set in stone, I'd say we've known our 2010 class for some time now. Happy to have part of it official, now. What I'm curious to see is where Davis ends up. Wish we had room for him, too.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:30 am

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/269161

Good read on Blue from January.

And I agree Mike, Evan Anderson is really nothing more than a formality at this point.

In a matter of minutes, it's easy to see why major college programs have jumped into the race for the services of Madison Memorial sophomore guard Vander Blue.

"When you watch him on the basketball court, he glides. He's like a gazelle out there," said Memorial boys basketball coach Steve Collins, no stranger to NCAA Division I talent over the years. "It looks so natural. He's working 150 percent but it doesn't look like it. Everything comes very easy to him."

In his first season playing varsity basketball, the 6-foot-3 Blue is averaging 13.4 points per game and providing the second-ranked Spartans (10-2, 8-1 Big Eight Conference) the perfect complement to talented junior forward Jeronne Maymon.

Blue, who doesn't turn 16 until July, has drawn college interest from the University of Wisconsin, Marquette, UW-Green Bay, Northern Iowa, Virginia and Clemson. But for Blue
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#5 » by smauss » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:43 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:While none of it was set in stone, I'd say we've known our 2010 class for some time now. Happy to have part of it official, now. What I'm curious to see is where Davis ends up. Wish we had room for him, too.

MU maybe? I saw that kid in 8th grade beat my son's school at CUW. My son's school (First Immanuel) lost 60-58 to Garden Homes (featuring FD.) First Immanuel had a really good team that year, won the National Lutheran Schools Tourney. Davis scored 56 of his teams 60 points. He was shooting 3's, in the paint, running, dunking doing it all. Absolutely the most dominant performance I've seen at that level ever!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#6 » by Bernman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Information and previous discussion about Blue from Recruiting Planet: http://www.recruitingplanet.com/forum/w ... adger.html

Flavien Davis has been my favorite recruit from the 2010 in state recruiting class for a while now. He reminded me of a young Glenn Robinson when I saw him. I wish we had room for him too, Mike and Smauss. Maybe another scholarship is freed by then. We still have a year and half to two years until Davis is forced to make a decision. By then a player could transfer, have academic problems, willingly waive his scholarship. Everyone thought that Ryan Evans' commitment closed the door on Jamil Wilson, but from what I've been told by an insider, a scholarship will be available somehow for him. Not as if it wasn't evident by the intensity by which we were still recruiting players. Where there's a will there's a way. Same type of thing could happen with Davis. Who knows?

And yep, Blue and Anderson have been formalities for a while. I'm pleased we're finally taking advantage of the glut of talent we have in state for the '09 and '10. We had to go elsewhere in '08 because there was a drought. We may have made a reach in the mediocre class of '07. The heart of the Badgers are the home grown players.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#7 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 am

Bernman wrote:I wish we had room for him too, Mike and Smauss. Maybe another scholarship is freed by then. We still have a year and half to two years until Davis is forced to make a decision. By then a player could transfer, have academic problems, willingly waive his scholarship.

Definitely still an option. Hope it happens. That'd be a hell of an in-state trio.

...from what I've been told by an insider, a scholarship will be available somehow for him.

I can only imagine how. I really hope it doesn't involve pulling scholarships from anyone against their desires. I'm not a fan of that. At the same time, thankfully Bo has not shown tendencies to do this in the past unlike some other coaches.

Ethically done, I really hope it happens. I don't want to miss out on Jamil.
iveyfanclub
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by iveyfanclub » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 am

I'm not sold yet on Anderson. I coached summer league against him for two years and was not impressed. Granted that was when he was a bit younger. The team I coached only won three games that year but we almost beat his team and he only had 2 points, plus the tallest kid we had was only 6'2" at the time. I agree that the kid has potential but I have not seen it yet, and I have seen him play alot.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#9 » by Bernman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:27 am

iveyfanclub wrote:I'm not sold yet on Anderson. I coached summer league against him for two years and was not impressed. Granted that was when he was a bit younger. The team I coached only won three games that year but we almost beat his team and he only had 2 points, plus the tallest kid we had was only 6'2" at the time. I agree that the kid has potential but I have not seen it yet, and I have seen him play alot.

Unfortunately, I agree 100 percent. Even before his disappointing 8 pt, 6 reb (those are awful #'s for a guy of his size in h.s.) he was for the most part just an early developing giant who got offers based on perceived potential. In an interview I saw, it seemed like he was pushed into basketball because of his height, thus won't necessarily have the desire to improve. He's a plodder footwork wise in the post. I hope I'm wrong because as I said it looks like he'll complete our class. I would have much preferred Kyle Kelm, the versatile 6'9" power forward from Randolph. If Marquis Mason grows an inch or two he's a high major player in the frontcourt. Same with Calvin Godfrey. There are a plethora of intriguing perimeter players in that class like Kameron Cerroni, Josh Gasser, Chim Kadima, Chip Rank, and of course Flavien and Vander. Not a great year to have only 2 schollies available. Bo must really like Evans, or have an aversion to not utilizing his full allotment of scholarships after it's cost in him the past.....because it's been known this was a great class in state for a while.

MIG wrote:I can only imagine how. I really hope it doesn't involve pulling scholarships from anyone against their desires. I'm not a fan of that. At the same time, thankfully Bo has not shown tendencies to do this in the past unlike some other coaches.

Ethically done, I really hope it happens. I don't want to miss out on Jamil.

Pulling scholarships would set a dangerous precedent in the long run that could severely damage our recruiting efforts. Why would a recruit who has other opportunities, or isn't elite, select the program with the coach who'll be disloyal first chance they get. Bo is the cleanest of the clean.

I'm thinking one of two scenarios occur to free the scholarship for Wilson......

1. This is just pure speculation on my part, but.....Gavinski waives his scholarship and plays as a walk-on. There is incentive there because Bo would be more apt to give him playing time if he's shown such immense loyalty to the program. Also, I've heard his parents are pretty comfortable financially, so the proposition of him paying his own way wouldn't be tough to swing. He reportedly is very devoted to the program.

2. Jarmusz decides to transfer because he fears he'll get buried on the depth chart behind our sudden glut of wings. I've heard rumours he was considering transferring, not sure the validity of them however.

There's a long way to go until March 9th, 2009.

Has Swenson softened on his stance that Jamil won't be a Badger in the end? I always thought he was basing on his insider information that Evans was taking the final scholarship. If so, we're depending on his interpretation of the situation, which could be faulty. He's not accounting for the potential of another scholarship opening. Evans' and Wilson's recruitment could be completely independent for Bo and the Badgers.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#10 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:44 am

Bernman wrote:Pulling scholarships would set a dangerous precedent in the long run that could severely damage our recruiting efforts. Why would a recruit who has other opportunities, or isn't elite, select the program with the coach who'll be disloyal first chance they get. Bo is the cleanest of the clean.

Why I am thankful, and confident, that we have a coach that would not do that. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. That said, there is no certainty otherwise to say that UW would take Wilson if he wanted to come, because your scenarios might not turn out. That, in the end, is the point.

I'm thinking one of two scenarios occur to free the scholarship for Wilson......

1. This is just pure speculation on my part, but.....Gavinski waives his scholarship and plays as a walk-on. There is incentive there because Bo would be more apt to give him playing time if he's shown such immense loyalty to the program. Also, I've heard his parents are pretty comfortable financially, so the proposition of him paying his own way wouldn't be tough to swing. He reportedly is very devoted to the program.

If he wants to do something so immensely helpful and generous I'm all for it, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. Jarmusz decides to transfer because he fears he'll get buried on the depth chart behind our sudden glut of wings. I've heard rumours he was considering transferring, not sure the validity of them however.

I can say that I had those rumors put to rest for me in about a split second after I brought them up to someone close to TJ. Whether it was by formality or truth is up for interpretation, but it's the most solid evidence I've come across regarding the rumors.

Nothing has changed on any stances regarding Jamil and UW, to my knowledge. Also remaining constant, though, is our apparent recruitment of more-than-one 2009 players. As a result, speculation will run amok until the class is set in stone.

At this point, I'm curious to see if someone is having grade issues in the second semester.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#11 » by smauss » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:22 am

[quote="Bernman"][/quote]

Chip Rank I know, quite skilled, good kid, and very coachable (not to full of himself.) I think he brings some quality intangibles to the table.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Bernman
RealGM

Post#12 » by Bernman » Thu May 1, 2008 4:19 am

Now the abrasive, arrogant Kentucky fan base is declaring victory with Evan Anderson.

The voice of reason in me hopes they're right, because as I said, he is incredibly overrated. The machismo in me hopes he stays in state so we don't have to admit defeat to a fan base with a superiority complex.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#13 » by aboveAverage » Thu May 1, 2008 8:37 pm

At least that's something positive for Memorial Fans...Tosa East still owns basketball in wisconsin.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#14 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 2, 2008 12:45 am

aboveAverage wrote:At least that's something positive for Memorial Fans...Tosa East still owns basketball in wisconsin.

Because they won one title? Memorial has no question been the better program overall the past five years in the state, and arguably the best program overall. Check the records. Also check how many college players they have churned out.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#15 » by aboveAverage » Fri May 2, 2008 1:04 am

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because they won one title? Memorial has no question been the better program overall the past five years in the state, and arguably the best program overall. Check the records. Also check how many college players they have churned out.

I know...that's just me repping for my school :wink:
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 2, 2008 1:21 am

aboveAverage wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I know...that's just me repping for my school :wink:

That's cool, just me repping for mine.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#17 » by xTitan » Sun May 4, 2008 3:23 pm

This title needs to be changed....Anderson is aboard as well..

http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archi ... class.aspx

I completely disagree with Bernmans assesment of Anderson earlier.....he is definitely not a stiff, he is big, athletic, and YOUNG.....hell, it takes college big men a couple years to develop and this young guy is being called a stiff?? I have heard from an old buddy of mine who coaches up in the area that Anderson has already made big strides in this off season.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#18 » by Bernman » Sun May 4, 2008 6:23 pm

xTitan wrote:This title needs to be changed....Anderson is aboard as well..

http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archi ... class.aspx

I completely disagree with Bernmans assesment of Anderson earlier.....he is definitely not a stiff, he is big, athletic, and YOUNG.....hell, it takes college big men a couple years to develop and this young guy is being called a stiff?? I have heard from an old buddy of mine who coaches up in the area that Anderson has already made big strides in this off season.

If you haven't seen Anderson play, you should trust my opinion over your old buddy's because we typically seem to jive on our evaluations of prospects.

But I hope I'm wrong that he's a stiff. The stiff comment was more about his footwork than anything. I'm not asserting he can't jump or run the floor for a player of his size.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#19 » by LUKE23 » Sun May 4, 2008 6:27 pm

Having not seen Anderson play, I will say I'd be much more worried if he was extremely unathletic or was really slow. I think footwork can be taught. That said, given our history of big men, I will have to take a wait and see approach on Anderson.

It is nice to keep top state talent in state, especially when there were a lot of big name schools after this kid.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#20 » by LUKE23 » Sun May 4, 2008 6:37 pm

So looking at our 13 scholarships through 2010:

2007: Nankivil, Gavinski, Leuer, Jarmusz
2008: Taylor, Berggren, Markolf, Wilson, Evans
2009: Taylor, Bruesewitz
2010: Blue, Anderson

Lots of athletic ability in the backcourt, lots of unknowns at the center position, albeit very highly touted guys there (Berggren top 60 player overall, Anderson top 10 player overall).

Return to Milwaukee Bucks