ImageImage

Should Redd Just Be A Scorer?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#41 » by midranger » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:51 am

You can say alot of things about Mo, but the guy never froze out his young teammates as they approached their first ever 30 point game.

Redd did it a couple times.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,723

Post#42 » by AussieBuck » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:50 am

midranger wrote:You can say alot of things about Mo, but the guy never froze out his young teammates as they approached their first ever 30 point game.

Redd did it a couple times.
He didn't really freeze them out, he simply looked up at the game clock, saw that it was Max time, looked around to the best of his Max vision and saw that he was the only Max Buck on the court. What else could Max do?
bogutsdad
Senior
And1: 0

Post#43 » by bogutsdad » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:52 pm

I'd be a fraction disappointed if redd was traded in the off-season, I am interested to see what skiles can get him to do. Can't remember who but someone in another thread mentioned redd could play the reggie miller catch and shoot type of role, which is really what he is made for. I do believe he can play d if he wants to. At the start of the season he put his hand up to shut Kobe down and did the job. The following is a quote from the espn recap that I think you will all find very interesting
Redd said going head-to-head with Kobe Bryant during USA Basketball practices over the summer made him a better player, and Redd proved it in the Milwaukee Bucks' 110-103 victory over Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday.

"In order to be one of the premier guards in this league, you've got to be able to defend," Redd said. "He's done it for many years, and I'm trying to do the same thing now."

Bryant joked that maybe he shared too many helpful hints.

"I think I worked with him a little too much on those defensive drills in the summer time," Bryant said.

Redd finished the game with 26 points to Bryant's 27. But Redd's solid effort defending Bryant paid off in the end, as he and the Bucks held the Lakers star to six points on 1-for-5 shooting in the fourth quarter.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#44 » by Jez2983 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:10 pm

sigra wrote:No he can't. Peja is pure shooter with basketball basics. Redd is rhytm shooter with streetball momentum. Big diference.

I can't remember where I read it, having not seen Peja play much, but he seems to be a better-than-advertised defender, which would make him more valuable than Redd.

The Peja comparison is with a team that has surrounding superior pieces. We don't have that luxury.

Incidentally, what's NO's salary situation like? Seem to remember they signed Peja to a lot of money, and him as the complementary piece for Paul, West, Chandler who would demand a fair salary as well.
Johnny Newman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Johnny Newman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:37 pm

Bucks_Revenge wrote:I thought Redd was just a shooter...I wasn't aware that he was trying to expand his game..did I see the same games you guys saw.
Good minds think alike. :rofl:
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#46 » by europa » Thu May 1, 2008 2:02 am

L&H_05 wrote:Forget the Kobe or LeBron type of player, Redd should mold his game into more of a Ginobili type of player IMO...

Without the flopping. :D

But I agree, when Redd is at his best he's making quick decisions with the ball, either shooting in rhythm or attacking the basket. He's easily the Bucks' best player at drawing fouls and getting to the line. In another thread it was stated (by Reddzone I believe) that if the Bucks trade Mo they will miss his mid-range game and I agreed. With regard to Redd, if he's traded the Bucks will miss his ability to get to the line and create foul trouble for the opposition. Nobody else on the team is close to him in that regard.

When Redd gets in trouble it's often when he stands with the ball and holds it too long and waits and waits and waits before making a decision. If he's with the team next season I don't think Skiles will go for that at all. Skiles is a head coach who emphasizes ball movement.
Nothing will not break me.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#47 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Fri May 2, 2008 9:35 am

No. Redd is a volume shooter. Left handed players are never dominant scorers, just streaky shooters.

Name me one lefty that is a dominant offensive player? Name one...You had some who were good, but not dominant. Ginobili? Nah...who?

Redd is a volume on any given night type shooter and scorer. That is all he is! You are not gonna make him more then that, and he obvious does
not want to committ himself to be anything more then that regardless to what he has said...

He speaks with a double tongue. He means well, bless his heart but he is not capable of being more then he is.

If he was more then he would have been that by now...this has been his team and he has done jack crap comapred to other's around him!

He and Josh Howard are who they are. Both need a change of scenery and neither are #1 or even #2 team options on a playoff team who gets out of the second round!

And the only reason Redd made the playoffs the one year since Karl and TJ left was because they backed into the playoffs with a sub .500 record!

Facts are facts...I am not saying he is a scrub or a bad player. I am not.
I am saying he is worse....he is a loser. I cannot be any more cut and dry then that!

There is no way to doll it up and spice it up...He makes too much money to jellyfish what he has been here.

I told you when he signed that deal I would be ruthless and fair in coming to a judgement about him. Now when you get paid, YOU BETTER SHUT UP AND WIN!!!

If you don't...it's on you! Mo included! Winning is big business.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#48 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 2, 2008 4:00 pm

David Robinson is a southpaw.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#49 » by fam3381 » Fri May 2, 2008 6:17 pm

midranger wrote:You can say alot of things about Mo, but the guy never froze out his young teammates as they approached their first ever 30 point game.

Mo just froze out Yi for the months of January and February.

I realize Yi didn't inspire much confidence at the end of the season, but there was something sad about watching him run around trying to get position or whatever and have Mo look him off every time. It's a two-way street.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#50 » by europa » Fri May 2, 2008 6:23 pm

fam3381 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Mo just froze out Yi for the months of January and February.

I realize Yi didn't inspire much confidence at the end of the season, but there was something sad about watching him run around trying to get position or whatever and have Mo look him off every time. It's a two-way street.

There was also the game (I forget against who) where Bogut had over 20 points in the first half and then in the third quarter it was Mo who came out shooting and dominating the ball. That was the game where bigzy predicted in the game thread that because Redd dominated the first quarter and Bogut dominated the second that Mo would think he'd have to get his in the third. That prediction (and Luke's that Bogut wouldn't get 30 despite having over 20 in the first half) was right on the mark.

Unfortunately.
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks