OT: Collins Is New Bulls Coach

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#21 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Comet wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

As for the topic at hand, I didn't really expect this. I thought Collins was done coaching and that the Bulls would look at someone else.

Collins repeatedly turned down Paxson & the Bulls - THEN the Bulls won the lottery. So Collins called up & said he changed his mind.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,287

Post#22 » by rilamann » Fri May 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Doug Collins has to be one of the most overrated coaches in NBA history.

He seems to have a reputation as if he's maybe only a notch or two below the top coaches in the league.

I can probably name at least 20 guys (current coaches & guys who are capable) I would rather have as my coach than Doug Colins,Scott Skiles being one of them.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#23 » by bango_the_buck » Sat May 31, 2008 2:49 am

rilamann wrote:Doug Collins has to be one of the most overrated coaches in NBA history.

He seems to have a reputation as if he's maybe only a notch or two below the top coaches in the league.

I can probably name at least 20 guys (current coaches & guys who are capable) I would rather have as my coach than Doug Colins,Scott Skiles being one of them.

Agreed. I'm glad he turned us down. Hammond + Skiles >>>>>>> Collins
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#24 » by Licensed to Il » Sat May 31, 2008 2:58 am

Doug Collins is a fantastic analyst, but a below average NBA coach.

Isn't the knock on Phil Jackson that he is considered a good coach only because he has coached great players?

Well Collins has coached Jordan, Pippen, a young Grant Hill, etc and never won anything. Granted it is unfair to blame him for everything that happened in his last stint (in DC) but he lost that team and showed no backbone by serving as a puppet to the real coach of that squad (MJ) who would run the huddle and call the end of game plays.

Furthermore, why would anyone want a coach that you would have to beg and bribe to take the job? I wuold much rather have a young up and comer than a guy who doesn't seem to have his heart in coaching.

Collins is a downgrade for the Bulls. He brings the same intensity as Skiles, and probably equal coaching accumen, but is probably worse with young players and isn't as invested.

I could understand the Bulls parting ways with Skiles to go in another direction. But they are, in a very real sense, going with an older and less successful, and more expensive version of Skiles. And I can't emphasize this enough... Collins is almost as bad as Larry Brown when it comes to playing rooks and youngsters. So good luck with that, Bulls fans.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#25 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat May 31, 2008 4:12 am

MickeyDavis wrote:When we had the #1 pick the best we could do was Stotts. :noway:
No...Doug Collins turned us down at least 3 times...
We had the #1 pick before and he turned us down and then again when we hired Krystowiak and the again now...
He simply did not want to come here. Good for him. Excellent hire by the Bulls.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks