ImageImage

Woelful: Kevin "Loves" Milwaukee

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,059

Post#61 » by ReasonablySober » Fri May 30, 2008 10:13 pm

You said it yourself. Hawkins came in after four years in college.

Gordon's coming out after dominating as a 19 year old. He will get quite a bit better.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,066

Post#62 » by paulpressey25 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 pm

DrugBust wrote:You said it yourself. Hawkins came in after four years in college.

The Hawkins reference is making me feel better about Gordon. I've now got a reference point for a good NBA player who wasn't an all-star but was effective.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#63 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri May 30, 2008 10:26 pm

I sure as hell hope we dont end up with him if for some strange reason things change and we keep the pick.

Either way, he really should go for #69, the jersey sales would definitely be higher.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,066

Post#64 » by paulpressey25 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Here's a good Chad Ford blurb on Gordon:

"....Gordon has been working out in Indiana, rehabbing a wrist that was broken, working on his ball handing and regaining that sweet shooting stroke that abandoned him in the second half of the season.

Gordon said his wrist is totally healed and he's back to being a dead-eye behind the arc. The thing that stuck out to me about Gordon was his size. He is so wide for a guard. He looks like a 6-foot-4 power forward. Given his athleticism and quickness, that size will serve him well in the pros. He's significantly bigger than Mayo or Jerryd Bayless.

Sources say that Gordon will likely fall to either Seattle at No. 4, the Knicks at No. 6 or the Clippers at No. 7. On potential, he could be the third- or fourth-best player in this draft. If his jumper is falling in workouts, his stock will be quickly repaired....
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#65 » by steger_3434 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:37 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Here's a good Chad Ford blurb on Gordon:

"....Gordon has been working out in Indiana, rehabbing a wrist that was broken, working on his ball handing and regaining that sweet shooting stroke that abandoned him in the second half of the season.

Gordon said his wrist is totally healed and he's back to being a dead-eye behind the arc. The thing that stuck out to me about Gordon was his size. He is so wide for a guard. He looks like a 6-foot-4 power forward. Given his athleticism and quickness, that size will serve him well in the pros. He's significantly bigger than Mayo or Jerryd Bayless.

Sources say that Gordon will likely fall to either Seattle at No. 4, the Knicks at No. 6 or the Clippers at No. 7. On potential, he could be the third- or fourth-best player in this draft. If his jumper is falling in workouts, his stock will be quickly repaired....

This blurb goes to show how much we undervalue Gordon. The kid was a high profile high school athlete who came into the Big Ten as a freshman and completely dominated from day one. He then injures his wrist, which happens to be a key component in shooting the basketball, and his scoring along with his shooting percentage suffers.

If Gordon could have came out as a high schooler he would have more than likely been a top 10 pick. If he could have come out after half a college season he would have been a top 3 pick. I say he should be a top 5 pick right now and if he would fall below that the team that gets him is getting a hell of a player, possibly one of the best from this draft, at a lower position.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#66 » by LUKE23 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:54 pm

steger_3434 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This blurb goes to show how much we undervalue Gordon. The kid was a high profile high school athlete who came into the Big Ten as a freshman and completely dominated from day one. He then injures his wrist, which happens to be a key component in shooting the basketball, and his scoring along with his shooting percentage suffers.

If Gordon could have came out as a high schooler he would have more than likely been a top 10 pick. If he could have come out after half a college season he would have been a top 3 pick. I say he should be a top 5 pick right now and if he would fall below that the team that gets him is getting a hell of a player, possibly one of the best from this draft, at a lower position.

Yep. The people who are looking only at his FG% or end of the year numbers and ignoring his overall athletic ability/strength/range/overall scoring ability need to really watch this guy on the court and see how good of a player he is. He's going to come into the NBA and be a good player from day one.

That said, he won't be available when we pick.

What really sucks is that us dropping from 7 to 8 could prevent us from grabbing one of Westbrook/Love/Gordon. That would be the Bucks luck.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#67 » by Wise1 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:14 am

paulpressey25 wrote:xTitan....Kudos on the Hersey Hawkins reference. I've been struggling to figure out who Eric Gordon reminds me of, and that one seems the best. I don't see Gordon being a lock to be as good as Hawkins, but would see Gordon's ceiling as the same.

For those that want to read more on Hawkins. He did stay all four years in school and his senior year averaged a mind-boggling 36.3ppg.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ihe01.html

Hawkins was not an athlete on the level of a Gordon or Fred Jones coming out of college. Hawkins was, however, a guy that could fill it up from outside. Not really a slasher. More of a spot up or off the dribble shooter.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#68 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat May 31, 2008 2:37 am

LUKE23 wrote:I think Minny smartens up and does take Mayo, especially with Lopez's stock dropping and his refusal to work out for them.

Right now, I'd say it goes:

Rose
Beasley
Mayo
Bayless
Love
Gallinari
Gordon
Westbrook
What the hell does Minny need with Mayo or Love!?
They have Charles Smith, Ryan Gomes and Al Jefferson so Love would not fit...there.

And they have Sebastain Telfair and Superstar in waiting Randy Foye and Corey Brewer and Rashad McCants at guards...

They dont need OJ Mayo! And if Love is not a Center they don't need him either unless he would be used on the high post and to rebound...

This team more then any other needs to trade down or trade that pick entirely to a desperate team for a proven veteran bi man of Stud star.

They dont need a lottery pick! They need to go get a guy to go with Al and McCants and Foye and they are as set as Portland is in young talent.

They need an outside shooting big man of a guy like Chase Budinger, Joe Alexander or trade it entirely.

They don't need more young players. They can compete next year for .500 with a guy like Josh Smith or Darko Milicic or some free agent like that through a trade.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#69 » by trwi7 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:48 am

NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:They have Charles Smith, Ryan Gomes and Al Jefferson so Love would not fit...there.

And they have Sebastain Telfair and Superstar in waiting Randy Foye and Corey Brewer and Rashad McCants at guards...

:rofl:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#70 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sat May 31, 2008 3:00 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He's a talented offensive player that I believed needed at least one more year in school. I don't think he's ready for this level of play yet. Do I think he's going to be a bust? No, but I think he will need more time than many on this board are projecting. He's not a bad player or anything.. and I don't hate him, I just don't see him in a Bucks uni.
Well duh,....THEY ALL NEED ONE MORE YEAR OR TWO IN SCHOOL...

Evey gosh darn single one them! They are all young and dumb for the NBA game. That sounds harsh but they are!!!

There is only one guy who is ready mentally, and physically, and skill wise, and coachability wise for the the NBA (not just athletically which is what all of you look at!)

KEVIN LOVE....that is it! A old school mentality and old school values and old school game. Plain and simple. The rest are AAU type amatuers.

All the rest of the team ruin the NBA game and the college game by being allowed to come out early which is why you have the brand of basketball that you see in the NBA that you do.

Vets are selfish and play for themsleves adn their contracts over the team because team execs bring in punk kids who they see as the next big thing and who don't know the game to take their spot so they have to score on a contract early!!!

And they read all these internet blogs of this meat market and think they can draft the next gate attraction.

None of them ready, but you cant tell them that when money and NBA groupies and night life is involved as well as status rather then getting a darn education and learn life lessons and people skills and how to be lead and mentored in college...

None of them are ready! :noway:
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,207

Post#71 » by jokeboy86 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:40 am

I wouldn't mind Love. But the reason this story caught my eye is cause of Mike Taylor. I went to school with this guy and knew he was good but I never thought that he would ever have a shot at the NBA. When we were in middle school this guy would walk 30 blocks home everyday. I can't believe there's a chance he could be drafted at all. Unbelievable. I'm surprised the local media hasn't picked up on this story.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#72 » by stellation » Sun Jun 1, 2008 1:42 am

Mike Love is Kevin's uncle, I didn't know that.
#FreeChuckDiesel
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#73 » by bigkurty » Sun Jun 1, 2008 1:55 am

stellation wrote:Mike Love is Kevin's uncle, I didn't know that.

:o What are the odds that a beach boy and an NBA player come from the same family? I bet that family dynamic is strange. Like some of the family members must have incredible envy and jealousy of others if its a large family right? I always wondered how the family dynamic evolves when one of the members becomes that big actually. I imagine they are either happy for them, jealous of them, or try to use them are the main options. Does anyone on the board here have an incredibly successful family member who can share their experience? Sorry to ask an OT question but it seems like an interesting side discussion if anyone has any experience with this type of situation.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#74 » by trwi7 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:13 am

stellation wrote:Mike Love is Kevin's uncle, I didn't know that.

I have something to say as well. I am the Little Old Lady From Pasadena. :oops:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

stellation
RealGM

Post#75 » by stellation » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:13 am

I totally agree that the odds must be slim, and now with the love family it will be
generation1: 1 NBA player, 1 Beach Boy (and their cousins being other members of the Beach Boys)
generation2: 1 NBA player

Can you imagine nestling in at the retirement village with Kevin Love's grandparents? It'd make it really hard to impress them with how well your grandchild little Johnny is doing at dental school!
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#76 » by stellation » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:15 am

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I have something to say as well. I am the Little Old Lady From Pasadena. :oops:

Thanks to being raised by my father and receiving my musical education from him, I can tell you that is a Jan and Dean hit and not a Beach Boys song. A common misconception.

Edit: As extra pointless trivia the Beach Boys later confused matters more by including a cover of it in their live set list as they struggled to find new material after Brian Wilson needed to spend some time collecting his many, many thoughts.
#FreeChuckDiesel
trwi7
RealGM

Post#77 » by trwi7 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:16 am

stellation wrote:I totally agree that the odds must be slim

Odd that you chose the word slim to describe something that involves Kevin Love. 8)

trwi7
RealGM

Post#78 » by trwi7 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:17 am

stellation wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thanks to being raised by my father and receiving my musical education from him, I can tell you that is a Jan and Dean hit and not a Beach Boys son. A common misconception.

Well my music teacher had a hard-on for the Beatles so how am I to know that?

stellation
RealGM

Post#79 » by stellation » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:19 am

Well my music teacher had a hard-on for the Beatles so how am I to know that?

As does my dad :)
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#80 » by stellation » Sun Jun 1, 2008 2:20 am

Odd that you chose the word slim to describe something that involves Kevin Love. 8)

:rofl:

I was trying to find out more about Kevin Love this morning and watched a video of him smashing a backboard in high school. He certainly was a... umm... bid kid.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks