ImageImage

Bell and Skiles

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Bell and Skiles 

Post#1 » by raferfenix » Sat May 31, 2008 3:22 am

Following hearing the best possible news from Buckskinsfan about Bobby Simmons' drastically increased motivation not only to stay a Bucks player but to improve his game due to the hiring of Scott Skiles, I thought having a parallel thread regarding the prospects for Charlie Bell to get his career back on track in Milwaukee is entirely applicable.

Like Simmons, Bell had spent his entire NBA career as a defensive minded hustle player. He clealry hit a major rut though, due in large part to his crushed motivation in the face of a completely disfunctional franchise. Now that Herb Kohl has finally righted the ship and hired real basketball people, will Charlie Bell embrace this situation and become a part of the solution in Milwaukee's desperately needed efforts to change the lazy and selfish attiutde of the team?

Like Bobby, Bell is the epitome of a Skiles player. Skiles doens't care if his guards shoot a lot as long as they play great D and look to make the extra pass---something that Bell's euro experience should aid him with (although like every other bucks player this hasn't been the case the last few seasons).

Also like Simmosn, I have a real hard time seeing us being able to trade him for osmething worth more than a resurgent Bell. Us getting a real coach should have a huge impact on his game, and I think we will now look to keep him if only to improve his trade value.

Like I asked following Bucksins very positive report on Simmons, I now ask: anyone else jumping on the Bell turnaround bandwagon?
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#2 » by Licensed to Il » Sat May 31, 2008 4:37 am

Good catch. I suspect that Skiles is very open to coaching Simmons, Bell, and Sessions. Not so much Mo, Redd, or Gadz.

But as quick as the media is to represent Skiles as a one trick pony, he has shown he can get it done in different ways (his Phoenix teams were high schoring, his Chicago teams won with team defense).

I wouldn't be suprised if he came out and ran some schemes and plays around Bogut and Yi that he hasn't before. After all, this is a guy (Skiles) that has been drawing up plays in a notebook since high school.

I suspect one of the topics on this board in February is how many minutes Skiles is giving to Bell and Simmons.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:04 am

Hopefully no minutes go to Simmons. Bobby Simmons is one of the worst players in the NBA. people like myself might not be Redd or Mos biggest fan but atleast they do something on the court.
smalls
Junior

Post#4 » by smalls » Sat May 31, 2008 7:48 am

I think a charlie Bell revival really has a lot to do with what Hammond does in the offseason because with the state of this team, i think it's fairly obvious we draft BPA and that looks like a guard. In that if we arent able to move anyone in the offseason there might be a glut of players at his position and a bit of showcasing players to up some value. In that case CB might struggle, but for this next season i have the utmost confidence that CB will come into camp in shape a ready to go. So if the pt is there i think we see a nice season for him. I could be way off but the way i see it both Bobby and CB are ideal skiles type of guys and "if" those 2 both show up and play well this team has a chance to skip the complete rebuilding year, I and most others here expect.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#5 » by raferfenix » Sun Jun 1, 2008 7:24 pm

smalls wrote:I think a charlie Bell revival really has a lot to do with what Hammond does in the offseason because with the state of this team, i think it's fairly obvious we draft BPA and that looks like a guard. In that if we arent able to move anyone in the offseason there might be a glut of players at his position and a bit of showcasing players to up some value. In that case CB might struggle, but for this next season i have the utmost confidence that CB will come into camp in shape a ready to go. So if the pt is there i think we see a nice season for him. I could be way off but the way i see it both Bobby and CB are ideal skiles type of guys and "if" those 2 both show up and play well this team has a chance to skip the complete rebuilding year, I and most others here expect.

I think a Bell revival is less dependent on minutes and more dependnet on him returnign to the hard working, defensive minded role player role that he played so well for us in his first season for us. His second season he tried to become a big time scorer and his D and passing slipped big time, and I am hoping his view of his role can return to his early NBA career days.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#6 » by bigkurty » Sun Jun 1, 2008 7:40 pm

Why can't Bell do both. I think if he comes into camp in shape this year, getting 20mpg of high energy on both the offensive and defensive end is the kind of contribution he should be targeting. Yes I want him to be a stopper but I want him to be a threat on offense as well and he has a pretty balanced offensive game when he is on. He can hit the three, dribble drive for the mid range pull up and take it to the rack on occasion. We need him to keep doing those things although get more efficient and consistent at them as well. Contrary to what other people think, once he got into shape last year, I think he got after it still on the defensive end. It was Mo, Redd, Bobby, and CV who were the biggest reasons we couldn't defend anyone last year. I swear I could have drove right by anyone of those 4 last year.
Johnny Newman
Banned User

Post#7 » by Johnny Newman » Sun Jun 1, 2008 7:52 pm

Thats what i'm worried about. We always include Simmons in a trade. I think he's gonna be good this year.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#8 » by aboveAverage » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:38 pm

BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Hopefully no minutes go to Simmons. Bobby Simmons is one of the worst players in the NBA. people like myself might not be Redd or Mos biggest fan but atleast they do something on the court.

Exactly. I don't know why everyone is so high on simmons now. He was awful last year. Absolutely terrible.
flintstone
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#9 » by flintstone » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:49 pm

bigkurty wrote:Why can't Bell do both. I think if he comes into camp in shape this year, getting 20mpg of high energy on both the offensive and defensive end is the kind of contribution he should be targeting. Yes I want him to be a stopper but I want him to be a threat on offense as well and he has a pretty balanced offensive game when he is on. He can hit the three, dribble drive for the mid range pull up and take it to the rack on occasion. We need him to keep doing those things although get more efficient and consistent at them as well. Contrary to what other people think, once he got into shape last year, I think he got after it still on the defensive end. It was Mo, Redd, Bobby, and CV who were the biggest reasons we couldn't defend anyone last year. I swear I could have drove right by anyone of those 4 last year.

my man big kurty. i will be ready on both ends.
vlietinho
Veteran
And1: 480

Post#10 » by vlietinho » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:55 pm

flintstone wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

IF you come to camp in shape this year :wink:
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,055

Post#11 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:55 pm

Uh oh. Flintstone sighting. 20 pages of posts to follow.

This is like the ice cream truck coming down the street. :)
vlietinho
Veteran

Post#12 » by vlietinho » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:57 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Uh oh. Flintstone sighting. 20 pages of posts to follow.

This is like the ice cream truck coming down the street. :)

Probably true, still think it's awesome though. :nod:
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#13 » by smooth 'lil balla » Mon Jun 2, 2008 5:25 pm

CB, you going to be in DC at all this summer?
flintstone
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#14 » by flintstone » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:39 pm

vlietinho wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

IF you come to camp in shape this year :wink:

Ill be in shape. I was in shape last year. Just not basketball shape from not playing all summer because of contract issues. But you probably would not know anything about that. :lol: But I will make it a priority to play this summer as much as possible and will also be in Mil early getting ready.
vlietinho
Veteran

Post#15 » by vlietinho » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:47 pm

Ill be in shape. I was in shape last year. Just not basketball shape from not playing all summer because of contract issues. But you probably would not know anything about that. :lol: But I will make it a priority to play this summer as much as possible and will also be in Mil early getting ready.

Way to go! :clap:
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#16 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jun 4, 2008 12:37 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Uh oh. Flintstone sighting. 20 pages of posts to follow.

This is like the ice cream truck coming down the street.

I suppose that's because we're basketball fans!

flintstone wrote:But I will make it a priority to play this summer as much as possible and will also be in Mil early getting ready.

Good to hear mate. Have you been up to much goodwill/PR stuff over the off season? Certainly if one looks at this board sometimes the PR is needed :lol:

Hope the knee's good (sure it is by now) and looking forward to you playing a pivotal mentoring role with our new, young guards this season :pray:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks