ImageImage

What would it take to get Chauncey Billups to Milwaukee?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

mosarsour
Freshman
And1: 0

What would it take to get Chauncey Billups to Milwaukee? 

Post#1 » by mosarsour » Thu Jun 5, 2008 2:38 pm

I'd say Mo and CV...but what do I know?! All I know is that Chauncey is the kind of PG that is needed in Milwaukee. A great team leader, defensive minded, and there's still some tread on those tires. I think we were on his radar a couple of years ago when he was a FA.
"You cannot have a bland feeling about me. Either I'm a showboating son of a bitch or I'm the darling that everyone picks on." - Al McGuire
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man

Post#2 » by Neapolitan Buck » Thu Jun 5, 2008 2:45 pm

I'd love to trade Mo and filler for Chauncey, but CV has nice potential and I believe the Pistons are crowded with PFs, and all of them play defense very well.
yahoo.com
Sophomore

Post#3 » by yahoo.com » Thu Jun 5, 2008 2:49 pm

There is no way Dumars even considers it. Mo does not fit into the pistons philosophy, plus he plays worse D than billups. CV plays no D and is not tough enough to run with the bad boys in motown
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#4 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 2:57 pm

Only way I see possible if there is a three team deal.

I don't see Dumars wanting anything to do with Mo and CV.

But I would be down with getting Billups into a Bucks uni
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#5 » by smauss » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:07 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Only way I see possible if there is a three team deal.

I don't see Dumars wanting anything to do with Mo and CV.

But I would be down with getting Billups into a Bucks uni

I've floated Mo+ trades for Billups, but I tend to agree that Dumars wants nothing to do with either Mo or CV. Like EastSide, I would love to see Billups in a bucks uni but it won't be a Mo or CV deal that brings him here.

I can envision Billups in Seattle next year however. I still think Seattle needs a vet PG who can score to lead that young team.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#6 » by xTitan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:43 pm

Billups is going to be 32 this year, has a big contract...a smart basketball player but not an elite athlete, by the time the Bucks are ready to contend he will be done. How far would a Billups actually take you at this point?
smauss
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by smauss » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:52 pm

xTitan wrote:Billups is going to be 32 this year, has a big contract...a smart basketball player but not an elite athlete, by the time the Bucks are ready to contend he will be done. How far would a Billups actually take you at this point?

I definitely think Billups is more of a stop-gap measure. He would be a guy that would lead the team short term and mentor our players, especially Sessions. He would also be instrumental in changing the mentality of this team, which is huge imo.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
xTitan
RealGM

Post#8 » by xTitan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:54 pm

smauss wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I definitely think Billups is more of a stop-gap measure. He would be a guy that would lead the team short term and mentor our players, especially Sessions. He would also be instrumental in changing the mentality of this team, which is huge imo.

If it is just Mo Williams for him I would have no problem, but I have no desire to include the #8 pick.......although I want to know how many years he has left on his deal, another crappy longterm contract for a fading vet would not be of great interest.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#9 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 3:54 pm

xTitan wrote:Billups is going to be 32 this year, has a big contract...a smart basketball player but not an elite athlete, by the time the Bucks are ready to contend he will be done. How far would a Billups actually take you at this point?

I HATE this attitude that you can't acquire good players until you are "ready to contend"....well how the hell do we get to that point unless we just start getting the right pieces?

Acquiring Billups would effectively knock out Detroit as one of the top tier teams in the East. Then it really makes it only Cleveland and Boston who are "ready to compete"

I don't really know what Dumars is looking for and what we are looking to move isn't what he wants. But if we could get into a three way due to Hammond and Dumars personal status, then perhaps we have a shot at Billups.

I strongly believe that acquiring Billups would give us a shot to get into the second round. That means we have a shot to win a playoff series.

Screw contending, I'm talking about just creating a winning atmosphere.

Billups would further the development of both Bogut and Yi. Something that would pay dividends for the rest of their careers.

Billups game isn't predicated on athleticism which is exactly why he will be able to play at least a few more years.

Call me crazy, but if all it took was Mo/CV and #8 to get Billups, I would do it in a second.
smauss
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by smauss » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:02 pm

[quote="EastSideBucksFan"][/quote]

Well EastSide, I guess you and me are just plain crazy. IMO, getting a player like Billups is required to turn this franchise and team around. Its part of how you build a winning team, by bringing in vets who change the mindset and atmosphere of the team.

simul justus et peccator
xTitan
RealGM

Post#11 » by xTitan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:03 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:

I HATE this attitude that you can't acquire good players until you are "ready to contend"....well how the hell do we get to that point unless we just start getting the right pieces?

Acquiring Billups would effectively knock out Detroit as one of the top tier teams in the East. Then it really makes it only Cleveland and Boston who are "ready to compete"

I don't really know what Dumars is looking for and what we are looking to move isn't what he wants. But if we could get into a three way due to Hammond and Dumars personal status, then perhaps we have a shot at Billups.

I strongly believe that acquiring Billups would give us a shot to get into the second round. That means we have a shot to win a playoff series.

Screw contending, I'm talking about just creating a winning atmosphere.

Billups would further the development of both Bogut and Yi. Something that would pay dividends for the rest of their careers.

Billups game isn't predicated on athleticism which is exactly why he will be able to play at least a few more years.

Call me crazy, but if all it took was Mo/CV and #8 to get Billups, I would do it in a second.

You are f'ing crazy! An aging PG who struggled in the playoffs this year is not going to take a young team with a ton of holes anywhere, with the exception of possibly the 7th or 8th seed...which is where the Bucks playoff hopes always seem to die. How does Billups make Bogut and Yi better? Billups is not a quick dribble penetrate and dish PG, he runs an offense and is a score first PG, do not see how that makes Bogut and Yi considerably better, he does have a light years higher IQ than Mo, will give you that, but I see pg's who dribble penetrate and pass, making those guys better.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#12 » by xTitan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:06 pm

smauss wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well EastSide, I guess you and me are just plain crazy. IMO, getting a player like Billups is required to turn this franchise and team around. Its part of how you build a winning team, by bringing in vets who change the mindset and atmosphere of the team.

You build a winning team with talent and star power......Billups is a great piece to get you over the top, not start building a team with....Orlando is perfect for Billups. Who ever starts to build a franchise in any sport with an older player?
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#13 » by unklchuk » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:11 pm

I see the logic for thinking our team won't contend for a few years. But seems possible to me that the reborn Bucks management might have other ideas. I think they may believe it's possible to win a playoff series, and may take big steps to make it happen. If I should be right about that, summer surprises will confirm it.
AFAIK, IDKM
smauss
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by smauss » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:14 pm

Just wanted to add that I would not include our #8 in that deal and I think its moot anyway because Dumars won't want Mo or CV IMO.

ETA: btw, nice to see/hear from you again chuck! :clap:

simul justus et peccator
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#15 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:29 pm

Including the pick might be overboard I agree. But I don't see any other reason why Dumars would even consider a package from us.

Last year, everyone on here was on board with the pipe dream that we should sign Billups over Mo. Now that he's one year older he's officially "old". I don't really get it.

Billups is a floor general. He knows how to run a team. He knows how to get his teammates the ball in the best spot for them to score. That is how he would help Yi and Bogut. By finding them at the right time. Not with 4 second left in the shot clock like Mo.

Billups could also mentor Sessions which would reduce his learning curve immensely.

I also don't see how we would be "building" around Billups when we are essentially swapping Mo's contract and throwing in CV. We would still have Redd/Yi/Bogut/Sessions.

Like I said, I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't want to throw in the pick and I'd be nervous about it too. Perhaps we could swap picks with them and still get a late first out of them.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#16 » by bigkurty » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:32 pm

I am totally with XTitan on this one. Billups is a nice piece but not for us anymore. We need to work on finding the next up and coming Billups, not try to get the current one who is on the decline.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#17 » by Jollay » Thu Jun 5, 2008 4:50 pm

I agree the logic of not wanting to bring in a veteran player like Billups is poor. And I do not buy the whole Redd needs to go or no Billups argument simply because he is not Lebron or Kobe, which is apparently what they have to be. Finally, I don't buy the we need to tear everything down stigma everybody has if deemed "not championship worthy," and building endlessly through draft picks.

But while I was for bringing in Billups if possible last year as a FA, I am not for giving up #8 in a package deal with Mo to get him.

We have too many long-term critical needs to package the 8 in there for a stop gap, albeit a very good stopgap.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#18 » by jerrod » Thu Jun 5, 2008 5:08 pm

pretty soon it's gonna take a walker
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#19 » by unklchuk » Thu Jun 5, 2008 5:58 pm

I share the doubt about the trade as proposed, both from Dumars end and from what we'd be giving up. Billups would be a very nice addition, but the cost sounds too high.

I don't share the enthusiasm for the draft. Think those young athletes can look better in anticipation than they are in their first few years on the court. And I do think Hammond is going to want to do something decisive with a vet to show the world he's changing the culture. Billups could do that. But it looks tricky to pull off in a way that helps the team now and for the future.

(thanks smauss... I don't have a lot to say this time of year, but I check regularly for real news)
AFAIK, IDKM
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#20 » by europa » Thu Jun 5, 2008 6:01 pm

I'm having trouble figuring out why Dumars would want Mo, much less why he'd want to trade Billups to the Bucks and his former No. 1 man.
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks