ImageImage

Ford's Mock Draft 4.0: Bucks Select Gallinari

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,751

Post#21 » by emunney » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:25 pm

Adam, you joke, but with the strength of the Euro those 24 jerseys sold in Italy will be worth close to 40 domestic jerseys.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#22 » by europa » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:35 pm

yay
Nothing will not break me.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#23 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:40 pm

emunney wrote:Adam, you joke, but with the strength of the Euro those 24 jerseys sold in Italy will be worth close to 40 domestic jerseys.
Worth more than that, because you can put ads on them and they don't care.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#24 » by bango_the_buck » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:49 pm

europa wrote:yay

Yeah. Luckily, Ford (admittedly) has no clue what the Bucks are going to do at #8. Under no circumstances do I see Gallinari in a Bucks uni next year...
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by MajorDad » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:16 pm

I would still like to see the marketing revenues the bucks received from China last year. I know the NBA made a bundle off marketing Yi. but what percentage of that bundle did the bucks actually receive?

the same would apply to the bucks having a famous italian star on their team. the NBA would make a bundle. but how much do the bucks receive?

I would hate to have a euro star and a chinese star only to find out their marketing revenues are split evenly among every NBA team as part of revenue sharing.

Surely there is an honest bucks executive who could provide an honest answer without all the hoopla and spin.

if the bucks do not receive a significant portion of the revenue tht Yi generates for the NBA, what's the point in having him? The same applies to Gallinari.

Dwayane Wade would generate more revenue, because he would sell tickets. and it appears that kohl is more interested in revenue than wins.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#26 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:17 pm

Your sarcasm detector has malfunctioned Reed.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,490

Post#27 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:25 pm

adamcz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Worth more than that, because you can put ads on them and they don't care.

I think the NBA should switch to NASCAR type jumpsuits with ads and **** all over them.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,490

Post#28 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:31 pm

Randolph has been 10th, 5th, 10th and 6th in Ford's drafts. That averages out to 7.75 which is close to the 8th pick.

Welcome to Milwaukee, Anthony.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#29 » by MajorDad » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 am

unfortunately Luke, I wasn't being sarcastic. While never said, there were inferences made by the media that the drafting of Yi would lead to increased revenue from China for the Bucks. I question the validity of those inferences. Notice, I did not say Kohl. I said the inferences came from the media.

many uninformed fans who read these forums actually truly believed the bucks picked Yi soleley for his merchandising revenue that he would generate in China. unfortunately, the Bucks receive very little of the revenue generated. i think it's time the bucks administration came clean with the public and admited that the bucks will receive very little revenue from China, but rather that revenue will go instead to the NBA.

if the sole reason to draft Yi in the first place was to tap into the Chinese market, then the pick of Yi was flawed because there was never any market to tap into. I would believe if the average fan knew the bucks were not receiving any revenue direct from China for jersey and hat sales, they would be more in favor of trading YI.

I think the casual fan should have been made aware that there never was a chinese market that was going to pay the bucks directly for YI caps and jerseys.

I'm not talking about the hard core knowledgeable real gm fan. i'm talking about the casual fan who goes to one or two games a year and roots for the Bucks. The casual fan was led to believe by inferences that the bucks drafted Yi because they were going to use him as sort of a financial boost from foreign sales. but the reality is there is no straight instream of financial revenue straight to the bucks. it's filtered through the NBA.

As a casual fan, I liked the Yi pick. now that I've learned he will not bring any additional revenue to the bucks, i'm not as enamored by him. if this Italian guy can play, then draft him. but don't draft him just because he's Italian. I doubt the NBA is worried about having to make a bunch of Bucks jerseys to sell in Italy.

gallarni coming to the NBA might increase italian interest in the NBA. but i doubt they will all become Bucks fans.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#30 » by Nowak008 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:50 am

LUKE23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I hate all three players you just mentioned with a passion, and to me it's not just that he's foreign (although the track record is definitely there for high bust potential from European players, and I've given the lists several times), it's that there isn't any mention of his D anywhere, on top of the fact that his foot quickness is quite obviously below average for the NBA level (going by his clips).

I wrote this in the draft thread.

Nowak008 wrote:
Top 10 foreign players picked since 2000

gasol
diop

yao
nene
tskitshvili

darko

araujo
Deng
(Gordon?)

Bogut

Bargs
Sene

Horford
Yi

Thats a TON of big men. In fact all of them are except for Deng, and he played college over here. The busts on that list were guys that hadn't proven anything. Foreign guys who have proven they were good players, become good pros in the NBA. Gallinari is the first highly touted wing overseas player, and imo that means something.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#31 » by Wise1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:33 am

ESPN has Randolph as their 5th overall prospect. With his potential to play both ends at the 3, there's no way he'll be there at 8 as most competent GM's will take the BPA.

Gallinari is probably going to be a nice player, but he'll make the Bucks even softer. Soft does not win in the NBA. We need someone that can get stops defensively, not more guys that can score the ball.

I really want to trade up and grab the Knicks pick. The Knicks should be all over a guy like Mo Williams. Let the Knicks draft Gallinari at 8.

Mo and #8 to NY for the #6 and NY's second rounder. This is the only way I see the Bucks having a chance at Randolph. Love may come into play at 6 but I actually think Skiles would prefer Randolph.

If the Bucks think that Westbrook would be an impact player for them, they could sit back and wait for him to fall to 8.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#32 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:34 am

MajorDad wrote:unfortunately Luke, I wasn't being sarcastic. While never said, there were inferences made by the media that the drafting of Yi would lead to increased revenue from China for the Bucks. I question the validity of those inferences. Notice, I did not say Kohl. I said the inferences came from the media.

many uninformed fans who read these forums actually truly believed the bucks picked Yi soleley for his merchandising revenue that he would generate in China. unfortunately, the Bucks receive very little of the revenue generated. i think it's time the bucks administration came clean with the public and admited that the bucks will receive very little revenue from China, but rather that revenue will go instead to the NBA.

if the sole reason to draft Yi in the first place was to tap into the Chinese market, then the pick of Yi was flawed because there was never any market to tap into. I would believe if the average fan knew the bucks were not receiving any revenue direct from China for jersey and hat sales, they would be more in favor of trading YI.

I think the casual fan should have been made aware that there never was a chinese market that was going to pay the bucks directly for YI caps and jerseys.

I'm not talking about the hard core knowledgeable real gm fan. i'm talking about the casual fan who goes to one or two games a year and roots for the Bucks. The casual fan was led to believe by inferences that the bucks drafted Yi because they were going to use him as sort of a financial boost from foreign sales. but the reality is there is no straight instream of financial revenue straight to the bucks. it's filtered through the NBA.

As a casual fan, I liked the Yi pick. now that I've learned he will not bring any additional revenue to the bucks, i'm not as enamored by him. if this Italian guy can play, then draft him. but don't draft him just because he's Italian. I doubt the NBA is worried about having to make a bunch of Bucks jerseys to sell in Italy.

gallarni coming to the NBA might increase italian interest in the NBA. but i doubt they will all become Bucks fans.

Actually, LH stated many times that any merchandise sold in China would benefit all teams equally. The Bucks would only benefit directly from those items sold at the BC.

Where having Yi does help the Bucks, though, is by attracting members of the Chinese population who would otherwise not be interested in the NBA/Bucks and, of course, Chinese sponsorship.
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
Nowak008
RealGM

Post#33 » by Nowak008 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:37 am

Wise1 wrote:
I really want to trade up and grab the Knicks pick. The Knicks should be all over a guy like Mo Williams. Let the Knicks draft Gallinari at 8.

Mo and #8 to NY for the #6 and NY's second rounder. This is the only way I see the Bucks having a chance at Randolph. Love may come into play at 6 but I actually think Skiles would prefer Randolph.

You want to trade Mo to move up 2 spots? Thats awful.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#34 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:43 am

Yeah Wise, I agree with you on Gallinari, but by no means do I think that Randolph is so good that I would give up Mo for him when we can likely get Westbrook or Alexander at 8 (with a miniscule chance at Gordon), even if Randolph goes at 6. If you're trading Mo and 8 for 6 you better hit for sure on 6, and while I like Randolph, I don't see him as a sure fire star player. He has a wide range possibility.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wise1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:43 am

If it means getting the player that we want, I'd do it. We'd also be picking up the Knicks second round pick. I don't think Mo has a future with Skiles so this seems like as good of a shot as any to get out from under his contract.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wise1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:51 am

LUKE23 wrote:Yeah Wise, I agree with you on Gallinari, but by no means do I think that Randolph is so good that I would give up Mo for him when we can likely get Westbrook or Alexander at 8 (with a miniscule chance at Gordon), even if Randolph goes at 6. If you're trading Mo and 8 for 6 you better hit for sure on 6, and while I like Randolph, I don't see him as a sure fire star player. He has a wide range possibility.

I'm liking Alexander less and less at #8. I toss aside the gym rat talk because quite frankly there are a lot of gym rats that have graced the NBA floor that just can't play. I can appreciate work ethic, but I'd prefer a guy with natural ability.

I like Alexander as a prospect, but when you think about it, how many sf make a living in the NBA dunking the basketball? If you're going to succeed beyond the level of energy/role player, you have to have a staple skill (jump shot, defense, play maker, scorer, ect.). I don't see Alexander being able to clown or overwhelm NBA defenses with his athleticism ala a James, Bryant or McGrady. I mean what can he consistently give you? Hard work? Royal Ivey works hard.

I'm starting to think that Alexander is a guy that SHOULD be selected in the 10-13 range.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#37 » by Rockmaninoff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:23 am

We need to trade up (for Mayo or Love) or trade down (for Speights or CDR) or trade out (for a veteran). I just don't see a difference maker at #8.

Unless, we role the dice on Gallinari, who is kind of the X factor in this draft, or reach for Speights at 8.

Does anybody think that any of Westbrook, Randolph, Alexander, etc. are potential star players? Are any of them alpha dogs, which is what we really need? Are any of them backcourt guys that can break down the defense, or frontcourt guys that can dominate inside? Are any of them even second option scorers or at least dominant rebounders?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Nowak008
RealGM

Post#38 » by Nowak008 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:34 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:
Unless, we role the dice on Gallinari, who is kind of the X factor in this draft, or reach for Speights at 8.

Does anybody think that any of Westbrook, Randolph, Alexander, etc. are potential star players? Are any of them alpha dogs, which is what we really need? Are any of them backcourt guys that can break down the defense, or frontcourt guys that can dominate inside? Are any of them even second option scorers or at least dominant rebounders?

Good post. We really do need an alpha dog. That is one of the reasons why I like Gallinari, he has that potential to be that guy. Someone who can create his own offense and offense for others.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#39 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:40 am

Alpha dog means the top player on a team that is competitive or contends, not just a guy who can set up others. I don't think any of the guys available at 8 have the talent to be that great, outside of maybe Gordon, but that doesn't mean there isn't a guy that can be very, very good and help us win.

BPA, always. That is how you draft. It's also why I'm not an advocate at all of trading down, I'd rather have Hammond/Skiles choose between a better crop of players over getting two "solid" guys.

This team needs to worry about getting their talent base intact before they start worrying about depth.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#40 » by Buck You » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:56 am

I'll be very disappointed if we draft Gallinari.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks