ImageImage

Milwaukee can learn form history

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

is1531
Banned User
And1: 0

Milwaukee can learn form history 

Post#1 » by is1531 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Back in the days when the Bucks were one of the best teams in the Eastern conference, the only problem the Bucks had was, they had to run into a wall called the Phialdelphia 76ers. However, the Bucks were able to beat the 76ers twice in 1985-1986 and the same the following year.

Bob Lanier was no longer playing for the Bucks and Moses Malone was out with an inury for the ist year along with Andrew Toney. In 1986-1987 Moses was gone and Toney only played a few minutes in the playoffs and limited games during the season.

The Bucks had star players like Tery Cummings and Sidney Moncrief to offset 3 lousy centers,(Lister,Mokeski and Brewer) but they had 3 players on those teams that could make a clutch defensive play. You had Paul Pressey, Rickey Pierce and Moncrief. All these players made big defensive plays against the 76ers Julius Erving and Charles Barkley to help win those 2 playoff rounds against PHiladelphia.

In the Bucks ist playoff win againt the 76ers in game 7 won by the Bucks by 1 point, twice in the 2nd half Barkley was trapped in the corner by Pressey and Pierce, only to throw the ball away.

In the rematch in game 3 with the series tied at 1-1, Barkley kept missing key foul shots in the 2nd half, but it seemed the 76ers would not reliquish their 1 point lead down the stretch. Then Julius Erving, filling in at the 2 guard for Andre Toney was stripped in the backcourt by Pressy, who went in for the go ahead layup and the victory for the Bucks in game 3. This would be the game that would turn the entire series around. The next game, the Bucks blew a 20 point lead, but slaughered the 76ers in Milwaukee in game 5.

Just remember, it was Moncrief, Pressey and Pierce always giving the Bucks tough defense, which always made them so tough to beat. For that reason alone, the Bucks have to get back to basics and draft Russell Westbrook. He will be a 13 point scorer in the NBA, but his defense will make him one of the best defenders in the NBA.

The Bucks should then trade Michael Redd and his scoring for another ist round pick, whcih would allow them to draft Marreesee Speights or Javale McGee. McGee will be a nice shot blocker in two years and will provide some scoring in the post. Speights can score down low or go outside and score. The Bucks in essence, woudl be trurning over their team, but they need to do that.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#2 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Good idea. Let's start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#3 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:40 pm

adamcz wrote:Good idea. Let's start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form

What is the point of bagging on the guy for a minor spelling error?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,751

Post#4 » by emunney » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:41 pm

A joke?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
mosarsour
Freshman

Post#5 » by mosarsour » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:09 pm

If you guys really want to get technical about spelling errors, how about removing the "T" from Sidney Moncrief's last name. That bothered me a bit more than the form/from thing. But either way, no need to be picky about a simple spelling error.
"You cannot have a bland feeling about me. Either I'm a showboating son of a bitch or I'm the darling that everyone picks on." - Al McGuire
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#6 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:27 pm

I was just trying to be funny. I hope I haven't caused anyone too much harm.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#7 » by jerrod » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:54 pm

adamcz wrote:I was just trying to be funny. I hope I haven't caused anyone too much harm.

i thought it was funny :D, especially after the long post

good post though
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#8 » by Buck You » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Times have changed. You can't have 5 defense-only players in your starting lineup. It doesn't work.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,488

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:18 pm

It would be nice to have one or two though.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Buck You » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It would be nice to have one or two though.

Always. But you have to have some scoring.
is1531
Banned User

Post#11 » by is1531 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:22 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Times have changed. You can't have 5 defense-only players in your starting lineup. It doesn't work.

Nobody said anything about 5 defensive players, but you can have 3 good defensive players, since that is all you need.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Buck You » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm

is1531 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nobody said anything about 5 defensive players, but you can have 3 good defensive players, since that is all you need.

So what would be your team in your creation?
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#13 » by Wise1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Moncrief and Pressey were great. However the Bucks couldn't stop Bird, McHale, Moses and guys like Bobby Jones in the front court. I want a strong perimeter defense as much as the next guy, but I think we should start with guys that defend the rim first. A weakside guy that can help the much improved Bogut. Once you move guys out of the paint, then you work on locking down the perimeter.

That being said, I'd be content with Westbrook if Randolph is off of the board. If it's found that Gordon can't play defense, I'd take Westbrook over him too.
is1531
Banned User

Post#14 » by is1531 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:01 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So what would be your team in your creation?

I have not put it all together yet, but I start with defense. Westbrook will give the Bucks a stopper at PG. By the way, I think he can play PG. He gave OJ Mayo the hardest time in finding his shot.

I would get rid of Redd, if I can get a ist round pick that allows me to pick up Speights or McGee. Shootong guards are a dime a dozen. They are in every draft. I would try and sign Powe or Brandon Bass for toughness. Now you at least have Bogut and McGee at center, if Speights is gone. McGee can also play forward at 6ft 11". Charlie V at small forward. Mo Williams at the point to start the game with Westbrook SG.

I would have to make one more trade, even though the Bucks have pick 37. I would trade Yi to GS for pick 14 and Keleena Azubuike. Keleena is a tremendous defensive player at 6ft 5". If you can play the 4th quarter with Westbrook and Keleena Azuibuike, that will make it very tough for the opposing guards to score points.Speights gives you the inside scoring and rebounding and Charley V gives you scoring and size at SF. The Bucks do not need Yi or Redd. The Bucks can use their 2nd round pick on Shane Foster to get some 3 point shooting. Foster is closer to 6ft 7".

Caution: The Nets will take Javale McGee at 21 if he is there. If Speights is gone, the Bucks have to step in and stop the Nets from getting McGee.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#15 » by old skool » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:47 am

What made the Bulls so good for so many years was that Jordan and Pippen could play both ends of the floor. Great defenders that could score. They filled in various pieces around them, but those were the two players on each of the six championship teams.

Obviously those types of players are tough to find. But those are the essential pieces. Elite talent wins games, not just offense or defense.

Another NBA truism is that it takes at least two All-Stars to have a championship team. Other than big three era, the Bucks have not had multiple stars for a very long time. It has been about ten years since the Bucks have drafted an All-Star, much less a pair of All-Stars. The Bucks have squandered their draft picks, forcing them to rely on second rounders like Redd and Mo.

oLd sKool

Return to Milwaukee Bucks