ImageImage

ESPN's Sheridan: Redd A Lock To Make Team USA

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Re: ESPN's Sheridan: Redd A Lock To Make Team USA 

Post#61 » by trwi7 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:04 pm

europa wrote:I'd compare Redd more to an ace pitcher on a crappy team but why quibble.

I would say jerrod's description is far more accurate. Redd is Alfonso Soriano. Neither plays very good defense. Redd doesn't pass enough, Soriano doesn't walk enough. Redd has a tendancy to go into "me first" mode in the 4th quarter, Soriano is too stubborn to move from the leadoff spot where someone like Fukudome or even DeRosa would be a better fit. Both are way overpaid and both have been injured far too much since they signed their huge contracts.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#62 » by europa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I think too much discussion is being placed on what position Redd would compare to on a baseball team. :)

And if the Bucks' record with Redd as a starter is going to be used against him, then everybody on the team needs to go and Redd being last to depart given how he's accomplished a helluva lot more as a starter than anybody else on this team has. Again, I'm fine with pointing to the Bucks' record with Redd as a starter as long as the standards are going to be applied equally in this regard.
Nothing will not break me.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#63 » by trwi7 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:20 pm

europa wrote:I think too much discussion is being placed on what position Redd would compare to on a baseball team. :)

I blame the poster that brought it up. :wink:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#64 » by europa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:24 pm

trwi7 wrote:
europa wrote:I think too much discussion is being placed on what position Redd would compare to on a baseball team. :)

I blame the poster that brought it up. :wink:

Works for me. :D
Nothing will not break me.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#65 » by InsideOut » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:57 pm

To go along with the Detroit and Indiana examples, Gino lead the Spurs with 19.5 and Pierce lead Boston with 19.6. As was mentioned, scoring a lot because you get to shoot alot on a bad team isn't that big a deal. Dantley and Aguire were huge scorers on bad teams. Once they were each traded to Detroit their average ppg fell by about 10 points a game.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#66 » by old skool » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:54 pm

The Bucks need to improve. I just don't see how the Bucks get better simply by giving up their best player.

If the Bucks trade Redd for equal value - no problem. But if the Bucks dump him for a draft pick somewhere in the vicinity of Marcus Haslip-land, or an expiring contract that could be turned into a pair of veteran free agent signings like Jake Voskuhl and Desmond Mason, I'll be disappointed.

oLd sKool
old skool
General Manager

Post#67 » by old skool » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 am

I see merit in the contention that Redd should be moved since he was only able to get the Bucks to 26 wins. But the Bucks don't build around Redd, who do they build around?

The idea that you can't win with Redd - a great scorer with limitations defending, handling the ball and possibly shot selection - who do you build around?

A Chinese rookie who fell apart halfway through his first season? A limited center who is a solid starter, but has never had a season better than "journeyman" status? A smallish PG who can't defend any better than Redd? Redd is the Bucks best player, their best asset. Of all the Bucks, he is most likely to be a future All-Star.

Three summers ago the Bucks could sign Redd to a big contract, or they could sign Larry Hughes for close to the same amount. To have foregone Redd for Hughes would have been a huge blunder.

oLd sKool

Mo?
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#68 » by randy84 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 am

I agree. I find it humorous that everyone thinks that Bogut is untouchable and Redd should be traded for a mid level draft pick.

What has Bogut done? For a #1 pick he should have led this team to the playoffs or at least be an all-star. It's not like the East has that many good centers. Bogut is beginning to look like a wasted #1, especially looking at the guys that went after him.

Bogut is not a guy you can build a team around, he is just a piece to the puzzle. He is basically Vlade Divac a good player, but not a franchise player.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#69 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:38 am

randy84 wrote:Bogut is not a guy you can build a team around, he is just a piece to the puzzle. He is basically Vlade Divac a good player, but not a franchise player.

Nobody says Bogut is a franchise player except for extreme homers. And as far as him not being a franchise player, he also doesn't make franchise player money.

Making max money + MAYBE being a top 30 player = horrible.

No team with a max player should ever be as horrible as the Bucks were last year (barring ridiculous injuries, which we didn't have). Signing a max player means you have yourself a franchise guy IMO, and if your team has a franchise guy, that should be enough to win more than 26 games in a league so heavily favoring those teams with true "franchise" type talents.

And I agree with Bogut not being an ideal number 1, but IMO its foolish to hold his draft status against him, what we have is a 23 year old very talented big man who could end up an all-star in theEast entering his fourth year who as of yet has not received too large of a contract.

We can hold Redd's contract against him because those 3 remaining years and 51 million remaining dollars surely do hurt going to a guy who we have won an average of 27 games the past two years with as our best player.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#70 » by Max Green » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45 am

midranger wrote:Since everyone likes to use the Pistons as our team building model... what did their leading scorer average the year they won the championship?

Rip Hamilton with 17.6 ppg.

Rip also had 4 allstar level players starting along with him and a Coach who is a Hall of Famer. Let me know when Redd plays along side 1 All Star level player. And please don't bring up Maglorie who was clearly passed his prime.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
old skool
General Manager

Post#71 » by old skool » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 am

If Redd was on a better team his value as an offensive player would go up, while his scoring would go down.

His scoring would go down because there would be others to take key shots. An he might not be the option of choice for those stat building free throws when the Bucks are holding a late lead and the other team is in auto-foul mode.

But Redd would really benefit from not facing double teams all the time. The best way to beat the Bucks is to double Redd. Stop Redd and you beat the Bucks.

oLd sKool
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#72 » by randy84 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55 am

Why is it foolish to hold Bogut draft position against him? There are other guys from that draft that did lead their teams to the playoffs and were significant contributors. Shouldn't Bogut being the #1 overall pick be held to the same standard? Why is his development taking so much longer than those other guys?

I mean we hold Redd to higher standard because he is a max player. At least he has been an All-Star and has been to the playoffs.

I guess you must think that Elton Brand is a horrible player that should be traded since he is a max player that lead his team to only 23 wins. I mean come on people. It's not one player that leads his team to the playoffs or the finals its a team effort.

Redd is a max player because he is more talented than anyone else on the Bucks. Also the Bucks needed to make a point that the franchise is willing to reward players that practice hard and work on becoming better while being a great person in the community.

Redd is the only guy on the Bucks worth building around.

P.S. Marbury is also a max player and his team has been worse than the Bucks.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#73 » by Chapter29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:58 am

old skool wrote:The Bucks need to improve. I just don't see how the Bucks get better simply by giving up their best player.

This is it in a nutshell.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#74 » by Nowak008 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:14 am

europa wrote:
And if the Bucks' record with Redd as a starter is going to be used against him, then everybody on the team needs to go and Redd being last to depart given how he's accomplished a helluva lot more as a starter than anybody else on this team has. Again, I'm fine with pointing to the Bucks' record with Redd as a starter as long as the standards are going to be applied equally in this regard.

You like to quote Mo's record when he is the starting point guard all the time, why shouldn't it count against Redd?

I personally don't think it matters all that much.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#75 » by Nowak008 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:19 am

old skool wrote:The best way to beat the Bucks is to double Redd. Stop Redd and you beat the Bucks.

oLd sKool

Yup, because Redd would jack up a contested shot after contested shot.

The Bucks need to improve. I just don't see how the Bucks get better simply by giving up their best player.

People still think Redd is our best player? Hehe.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#76 » by El Duderino » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:03 am

randy84 wrote:

Nobody on the Bucks is near good enough to be the key centerpiece player that you'd want to build your roster around. That's by far the biggest reason the team has been either mediocre at best or bad for many years in a row.

Until we find a player good enough that the Bucks can really build their roster around his skills, we'll likely be in the same boat as other teams with that same problem of lacking a top player, being a fringe playoff team or back in the lottery.

For now, all the Bucks can do is hope to strike gold in the draft along with just improving the overall talent level and creating a better mix of players.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#77 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:08 am

randy84 wrote:Why is it foolish to hold Bogut draft position against him?

I don't think its foolish to wish we had drafted somebody else or to believe Bogut was a bad pick relative to other number ones. But I think its foolish to undervalue him for what he is because he was picked high 3 years ago. As I said, he is a 23 year old center with all-star potential in the East who does not as of yet have an outrageous contract, that is valuable in this league.

I mean we hold Redd to higher standard because he is a max player.

Redd makes max money. He will make over 50 million dollars for the next three seasons, and will continue to walk back on defense while talking to the referees, show no leadership despite his paycheck and talent, and probably continue to suck in the clutch.
I guess you must think that Elton Brand is a horrible player that should be traded since he is a max player that lead his team to only 23 wins.

Brand played in like ten games this past season when nothing mattered anymore. How is this AT ALL relevant? And who ever said Redd is a horrible player?

Redd is a max player because he is more talented than anyone else on the Bucks.

That isn't saying very much. If Redd retired tomorrow, would it be okay to give Bogut the max automatically because he is the best player on the Bucks? You must realize how flawed this argument is, right?

Do you think we can ever be a .500 team while building around Redd? Honestly?

P.S. Marbury is also a max player and his team has been worse than the Bucks.

Marbury sucks.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#78 » by midranger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:44 am

Why do we have to build around anyone on our current team?

Nobody is near good enough.

Amass as much talent as possible and hope one guy becomes a true franchise player, or you can trade 2-3 guys for a true franchise player.

Either way, Max Redd isn't helping us do anything we need to accomplish.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks