ImageImage

Pre-draft measurement error?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Pre-draft measurement error? 

Post#1 » by fam3381 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:37 pm

I alluded to this last week, but I finally posted on Brew Hoop a little analysis I did about players who attended the pre-draft camp twice. The idea is that we just assume this data is accurate, yet when you look at players who were measured twice there appears to be a fair bit of noise in some of the measurements, especially standing reach.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2008/6/22/54308 ... r-explorin

You can check out the post for specific details, but here are some general conclusions:

- Players rarely had the same measurements twice in any category. This is likely the result of daily variation in height, real growth, measurement error and wearing thicker- and thinner-soled shoes (which affects in-shoe height and standing reach).
- Standing reach data varied the most from year to year. Nearly half the players in the sample had standing reaches that differed by more than an inch from year to year, and a quarter varied by 2" or more.
- The variance in measurements for height, wingspan and standing reach were often fairly uncorrelated.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Re: Pre-draft measurement error? 

Post#2 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:46 pm

I read this in my rss reader this morning. Great writeup. Did you send a link to Jonathan at DX? He'll probably enjoy it. Come to think of it, John Hammond would probably enjoy it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks