ImageImage

The announcers are to blame not the refs?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

mshnake
Sophomore
And1: 0

The announcers are to blame not the refs? 

Post#1 » by mshnake » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:43 pm

This might be at the end of some 40 page thread but I think it's funny that Stern starts to blame everyone but the obvious..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Re: The announcers are to blame not the refs? 

Post#2 » by jerrod » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:45 pm

i read that earlier

i do think it's an interesting point
TheGhostDog
Senior
And1: 2

Post#3 » by TheGhostDog » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:26 am

Over 200 years ago Samuel Johnson wrote the famous line "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel", but if he were around today I think he'd add something about "blaming the media" too.

If the NBA is using refs to prolong playoff series, is there a statistical smoking gun? This interesting article thinks there may be. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

Quote: "Since the 2002 regular season, home teams won a little more than 60 percent of the time. In the playoffs, when a series might be extended by referees favoring the home team, the winning percentage skyrockets.

"If the true odds of the home team winning were six in 10, as in the regular season, then the odds of observing 34 home victories in 42 games [81%] simply by chance are close to zero."
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#4 » by ACGB » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:31 am

Not to mention that when you get to the playoffs, you are playing strictly the best teams from your conference. To me it's common sense that the winning percentage would go down, not up.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:33 am

I'm glad someone posted that Bloomberg link. It isn't a huge slam dunk of statistics he cites but it furthers the cause.

The one point the author made that I did find compelling was that he pointed out that of the major sports, arguably basketball should be the least susceptible to variations in performance simply because the "court" is uniform everywhere.

The difference being in the NFL, different stadiums have different playing surfaces, different wind conditions, temperatures, etc. In MLB the parks all have unique dimensions. In the NBA, the home court advantage shouldn't be as great as it is since the courts are all the same.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#6 » by THE DINJ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:08 pm

It doesn't take Ted Davis to tell me that if you touch Desmond Mason on a layup it probably won't be called a foul, but if you touch LeBron it will. Most of the games I see are without the commentary of Davis, Paschke, and McGlocklin, and I still know when the Bucks are getting ripped off.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#7 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm

I do agree somewhat with what Stern was saying. I think in professional sports, announcers/commentators often take the officials to task when generally they do a decent job. I pose this question, who would want to be an referee/official when no matter how good a job you do, thousands of people will be pi***d off at you and abuse you?

There's many stories of refs being attacked/insulted at sports venues or even on nights out with their families. How does announcers/commentators abusing refs encourage kids to take up umpiring/officiating? In Australia, I think we'll have a lot of problems in the future getting umpires for many sports as they get abused so much. I believe announcers have a duty of care to promote the game on all levels, even officiating, and this should be represented with at least some complimentary commentary on the conduct of officials.

That said, specifically in the NBA, there does appear to be an issue which Stern should not be trying to sweep under the carpet, or pretend its an isolated incident.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#8 » by old skool » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Most fans think that their team is treated unfairly by officials. That is, of course, impossible.

Those who complain about the refs have a losers mentality. They give way too much credit to those calling the game. Winners go out and get the job done regardless of the inevitable referee errors that occur in every game.

If it's not the fault of the refs, it must be the fault of the.... owner.

If it's not the fault of the owner it must be the fault of the .... coach.

Players are the last to get blamed. But they are the only one who can control their own destiny on the field of play.

The media just reflects the general public's attitude toward owners, refs and players.

oLd sKool

Return to Milwaukee Bucks