Joe Alexander back in town....

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Joe Alexander back in town.... 

Post#81 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:42 pm

adamcz wrote:
Nebula wrote:p.s. Lots of guys dunk in college. All the outlooks seem positive for this kid, but it's the NBA. Will he ever be more valuable than Shane Battier?
Battier is a great player. I think a Battier type player is more important to winning than anyone we have other than Bogut.

And Sessions, of course. :wink:

Battier is a good piece, but would you trade the #8 (Alexander) for him? I don't think I would. Just hoping #8 becomes that kind of cog for the Bucks.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#82 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:47 pm

randy84 wrote:Then why not go with Randolph who would be the taller SF.

The Bucks need more defensive players, not more guys who shoot. Alexander only had 26 steals and 54 blocks with 103 personal fouls. Not exactly stellar defensive play.

Randolph, as a freshman, had 35 steals, 70 blocks and only 85 personal fouls and that was against other PF. Seems to me he is better defensively right now than Alexander is. Plus with Skiles teaching him defense, the sky's the limit.

Right now I see Alexander as a huge media creation. I always worry about guys that shoot up draft boards because of pre-draft combine numbers and a couple of workouts. He should be judged on what he has done in college and not what he has done against air in a workout.

Wow, don't know where to start with this post.

First off, defense isn't measured by the hustle categories. If that were the case, Allen Iverson would be considered one of the best overall defenders in the NBA throughout his career, given his steal rates. Defense is about staying in front of your man, knowing where you're supposed to be off the ball, playing help defense, taking charges, and boxing your man out to secure the defensive rebound. Shotblocking and steals are nice, but a lot of the time that comes with the payoff of players being out of position.

Alexander didn't only shoot up because of his combine numbers, although that helped. He shot up because he pretty much decimated the competition from March on, along with the stories of his essentially unhealthy work ethic towards basketball.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#83 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Battier is a valuable guy if you have a roster with a superstar (or two) on it, because he will never hurt you and he will play good defense. On a roster like ours, he's not nearly as good of a fit. And no way I trade #8 for him.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#84 » by randy84 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Wade-A-Holic wrote:

The Bucks need more defensive players, not more guys who shoot. Alexander only had 26 steals and 54 blocks with 103 personal fouls. Not exactly stellar defensive play.

Randolph, as a freshman, had 35 steals, 70 blocks and only 85 personal fouls and that was against other PF. Seems to me he is better defensively right now than Alexander is. Plus with Skiles teaching him defense, the sky's the limit.

Right now I see Alexander as a huge media creation. I always worry about guys that shoot up draft boards because of pre-draft combine numbers and a couple of workouts. He should be judged on what he has done in college and not what he has done against air in a workout.

You want to judge based on college performance and take Randolph over Alexander? Alexander's team was MUCH more successful than Randolph's and Alexander was dominant down the stretch in a much tougher conference tournament and then in the NCAA tournament. I've watched a lot of both of these guys, and while Randolph did some impressive things and undoubtedly has upside, Alexander consistently looked much more impressive to me.

Those defensive statistics mean very little to me. So Skiles can teach Randolph to play defense but he can't work with Alexander - a guy that has excelled under Bob Huggins, who stresses similar things and does it in a similar style?

So are you saying that Alexander is a better defensive player than Randolph?

Or are you saying the Bucks don't need defense?

If neither of these guys are going to contribute much next year, I would rather go with the younger guy with more upside. Alexander has only been playing basketball for 5 years, so he is going to have a steeper learning curve to adjust to the NBA, then a guy who has been playing competitively most of his life.

If you are looking at offense, then yes Alexander is better, but if you want defense then I would go with Randolph.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#85 » by fam3381 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:58 pm

randy84 wrote:Alexander has only been playing basketball for 5 years, so he is going to have a steeper learning curve to adjust to the NBA, then a guy who has been playing competitively most of his life.

If you are looking at offense, then yes Alexander is better, but if you want defense then I would go with Randolph.

I don't see how you can talk about the players' respective learning curves and not mention the fact that Alexander is physically much more mature than Randolph.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#86 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 pm

randy84 wrote:
Wade-A-Holic wrote:

You want to judge based on college performance and take Randolph over Alexander? Alexander's team was MUCH more successful than Randolph's and Alexander was dominant down the stretch in a much tougher conference tournament and then in the NCAA tournament. I've watched a lot of both of these guys, and while Randolph did some impressive things and undoubtedly has upside, Alexander consistently looked much more impressive to me.

Those defensive statistics mean very little to me. So Skiles can teach Randolph to play defense but he can't work with Alexander - a guy that has excelled under Bob Huggins, who stresses similar things and does it in a similar style?

So are you saying that Alexander is a better defensive player than Randolph?

If neither of these guys are going to contribute much next year, I would rather go with the younger guy with more upside. Alexander has only been playing basketball for 5 years, so he is going to have a steeper learning curve to adjust to the NBA, then a guy who has been playing competitively most of his life.

Overall defender? Yes, he's better than Randolph. Randolph is the better shotblocker and passing lane defender, so he's better in the gambling aspects of defense.
RAtheMONsession
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#87 » by RAtheMONsession » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:03 pm

for anybody that wants to see, he will be interviewed on ESPN after this commercial break
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,056

Post#88 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:04 pm

W-a-H, gotta give you props for calling it on Alexander. I like him as a person and I have to acknowledge that with his work ethic he could get much better, but I still maintain that when I saw him play he looked like a rich man's Mike Wilkinson.

But the NBA seems to love him so you were dead on with this guy.
RAtheMONsession
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#89 » by RAtheMONsession » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:09 pm

sounds like he really wants to go to milwaukee

He is the guy i want, i dont want trade up, i dont want a trade down, i want Joe Alexander
randy84
RealGM

Post#90 » by randy84 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 pm

[quote="LUKE23"][quote="randy84"][quote="Wade-A-Holic"][quote="randy84"]Then why not go with Randolph who would be the taller SF.

Right now I see Alexander as a huge media creation. I always worry about guys that shoot up draft boards because of pre-draft combine numbers and a couple of workouts. He should be judged on what he has done in college and not what he has done against air in a workout.[/quote]

Those defensive statistics mean very little to me. So Skiles can teach Randolph to play defense but he can't work with Alexander - a guy that has excelled under Bob Huggins, who stresses similar things and does it in a similar style?[/quote]

[b]So are you saying that Alexander is a better defensive player than Randolph?[/b]

If you are looking at offense, then yes Alexander is better, but if you want defense then I would go with Randolph.[/quote]

Overall defender? Yes, he's better than Randolph. Randolph is the better shotblocker and passing lane defender, so he's better in the gambling aspects of defense.[/quote]

So in what aspect of defense is Alexander better that would make him an overall better defender?
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#91 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Keeping his man in front of him, banging against his man in the post to keep him away from the basket, help defense, taking charges. You also have to take into account that Alexander is 220 pounds at 6-8.5, Randolph is 197 pounds at 6-10.5. Alexander is much stronger and right now has a body type more suited to guard NBA SF's.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#92 » by emunney » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:18 pm

It is not hard to be a better college defender than Randolph was at LSU.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,240

Post#93 » by Sigra » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:22 pm

mcfromage wrote:This is a good place to start Nebula. Don't know if its already been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAYyqSOuPc

The guy knows everything. Now, can he do it in NBA?
randy84
RealGM

Post#94 » by randy84 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:38 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Keeping his man in front of him, banging against his man in the post to keep him away from the basket, help defense, taking charges. You also have to take into account that Alexander is 220 pounds at 6-8.5, Randolph is 197 pounds at 6-10.5. Alexander is much stronger and right now has a body type more suited to guard NBA SF's.

I think everyone agrees that whomever we draft except for Beasley or Rose, is not going to help us much this year. So Alexander being 220 and Randolph being 197 doesn't mean a whole lot for this year. I am willing to bet that Randolph fills out and even if he doesn't he is being compared to Tayshaun Prince who is a pretty good defender being skinny.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#95 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Randolph likely has one of those frames that will not be able to add weight very well, and Prince does have 20 pounds on him, even though he is very skinny.

Randolph has a small forward body with power forward game, and that is going to be his major issue on both sides.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#96 » by Buck You » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:48 pm

When is the last time the Bucks had a forward who was as aggressive as Alexander going to the basket plus the work ethic and the talent level? Never. We need this guy.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#97 » by fam3381 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:53 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:When is the last time the Bucks had a forward who was as aggressive as Alexander going to the basket plus the work ethic and the talent level? Never. We need this guy.

I like Alexander, but I doubt he shot 46% because he was extremely aggressive going to the hoop.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
randy84
RealGM

Post#98 » by randy84 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:54 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:When is the last time the Bucks had a forward who was as aggressive as Alexander going to the basket plus the work ethic and the talent level? Never. We need this guy.

They have one right now with the exact same game as Alexander.....Desmond Mason.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#99 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:56 pm

randy84 wrote:

They have one right now with the exact same game as Alexander.....Desmond Mason.

How about we try to get one that doesn't play like a geriatric?
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#100 » by bango_the_buck » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:50 pm

randy84 wrote:They have one right now with the exact same game as Alexander.....Desmond Mason.

I thought we've been over this already, randy. Alexander is bigger and a decade younger. I'll take a bigger younger Mason on this team any day of the week.

If the proposed Suns/Clippers trade goes down, I could see Alexander being gone by #8...

ETA: Alexander has much better shooting mechanics than Mason. He doesn't have NBA 3-point range yet, but he'll get there. Jump shooting has never been, nor will be, a part of Mason's game...
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks