ImageImage

Agent says Lakers' Bynum wants maximum contract extension

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Re: Agent says Lakers' Bynum wants maximum contract extension 

Post#21 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:29 am

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Um excuse me? Fell apart!? What the hell do you mean fell apart!? They made it to the NBA Finals WITHOUT BYNUM!

That is absurd...they were better off without him. Sure they could have used him against the Celts but the fact is, they got there without him.

They hardly fell apart and I am not a Lakers fan by any stretch of the imagination. But they did not :noway: 'fall apart' as you said.

One day sarcasm is going to hit you right in the face. Oh what a glorious day that will be for this board.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#22 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:32 am

trwi7 wrote:
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Um excuse me? Fell apart!? What the hell do you mean fell apart!? They made it to the NBA Finals WITHOUT BYNUM!

That is absurd...they were better off without him. Sure they could have used him against the Celts but the fact is, they got there without him.

They hardly fell apart and I am not a Lakers fan by any stretch of the imagination. But they did not :noway: 'fall apart' as you said.

One day sarcasm is going to hit you right in the face. Oh what a glorious day that will be for this board.

NOOO! That will be the worse day ever. MBBOTs eggo will be crushed, and he probably wont have his crazy rants on here anymore.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#23 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:35 am

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:NOOO! That will be the worse day ever. MBBOTs eggo will be crushed, and he probably wont have his crazy rants on here anymore.

When sarcasm hit me in the face my eggo was only damaged for a couple days.

I knew you would like that post in your sig. :)
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#24 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:37 am

trwi7 wrote:
Kohl Is A Mome wrote:NOOO! That will be the worse day ever. MBBOTs eggo will be crushed, and he probably wont have his crazy rants on here anymore.

When sarcasm hit me in the face my eggo was only damaged for a couple days.

I knew you would like that post in your sig. :)

You like being hit in the face with alot of things though.
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Neapolitan Buck » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:35 am

Wow. How can he ask for a max deal after only 5-6 months of great basketball? If the Lakers give him the max, that's ridiculous.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#26 » by El Duderino » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:44 am

rilamann wrote:Dont get me wrong Bynum is solid but I think a lot of poeple including his agent overrate him.

I'd like to see how good he would be if he wasnt playing with Kobe and wasnt coached by Phil Jackson & Jabbar.

Im not knocking or hating on the guy for having a great teammate and great coaching but it is legit point.Like I said hes a good solid player but hes not worth the max and people make him out to be better than I think he realy is.

One thing Bynum's agent has going for him in the max contract negotiations was how the Lakers just absolutley fell apart after Bynum got injured.

hardy har har.

He's not worth the max right now, but if you think Bynum is only a "solid" player and young center, you vastly underestimate his talent and skills. After Dwight Howard, Bynum is the most talented young center in the NBA.

Him playing with Kobe has nothing to do with why so many love his potential future if Bynum can stay healthy, it's the very high skill level of a 7' 275 pound kid that isn't even legal drinking age yet. For a kid who never played a minute in college and who is only 20 years old, he's huge and athletic, he has great feet, skilled post moves for his age , averaged 10 boards in only 28mpg, and is a good shot blocker. He's already more skilled than Bogut and Bynum is three years younger than Andrew.

As for him having good coaching, why do you state that with an implication that it's a negative to Bynum? The fact he's been well coached is a good thing for his development as a player and bodes well for Bynum reaching his vast ceiling if he can stay healthy.

The reason not to give Bynum the max isn't that he lacks the skills to be potentially worthy of that money, it's that Bynum is coming off a bad injury, he still needs to prove more that he'll reach his vast ceiling, and the Lakers have no need to have pay Bynum right now. They can be sure he comes back and stays healthy next season along with seeing how his development keeps going, then decide what to offer. Bynum isn't going to bolt the big market LA unless a last resort and they can match any offer when Bynum is restricted.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#27 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:02 am

El Duderino wrote:
He's not worth the max right now, but if you think Bynum is only a "solid" player and young center, you vastly underestimate his talent and skills. After Dwight Howard, Bynum is the most talented young center in the NBA.

Greg Oden?
Yes the guy hasnt played a minute in the NBA, I realize that but come on, clearly the guy is ridiculously skilled. Look at what he did with what amounts to one wrist/hand in college. Ok so theres concern about his knee injury, well yeah but thats the same with Bynum too. Also, theres the concern that Bynums return kept getting pushed back further and further as they figured out things. With Oden they knew what they were dealing with, he had the surgery, and he'll be back when they expected.

Maybe im crazy but given the choice of the two I'd take Oden without a second thought.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#28 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:54 am

Bynum was a better player in the NBA than Oden was in college at very close to the same age. I'd elect that second thought.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#29 » by midranger » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:07 am

Watching Jason Chappell give Oden some problems a couple years ago really makes me pause. I'll need to see it before I believe it with Oden.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#30 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:16 am

Oden in NCAA: 15.7 ppg (62%), 9.6 rpg, 0.7 ast, 3.3 blk, 2.0 to's - born January '88
Bynum in NBA: 13.1 ppg (64%), 10.2 rpg, 1.7 ast, 2.1 blk, 1.5 to's - born October '87

It's close, but I'll take the guy who put up those numbers against the best players alive.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#31 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:18 am

adamcz wrote:Bynum was a better player in the NBA than Oden was in college at very close to the same age. I'd elect that second thought.

Really?
How so?
06/07 Odens College Season
32 GP, 28.9 MPG, 15.7 PPG, 61.6 FG%, 62.8 FT%, 9.6 RPG, 0.7 APG, 0.6 Stls, 3.3 Blks, 2 TOs

06/07 Bynum NBA
82 GP (53 Starts) 21.9 MPG, 7.8 PPG, 55.8 FG%, 66.8 FT%, 5.9 RPG, 1.1 APG, 0.1 Stls, 1.6 Blks, 1.4 TOs

(Oden is 3 Months younger than Bynum.)

Maybe give that a 3rd thought

ETA, the rebound numbers arent exactly fair though, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY7xAF4XKS4
"Kobe was getting all the ****, Ooohp, all the rebounds out there and doing alright"
(Nice of him to carry on what Shaq started (Lakers Center swearing on live TV) :D
AndreaBustani
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#32 » by AndreaBustani » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:36 pm

old skool wrote:An agent has to justify his cut.

The Lakers can always let Bynum become a restricted FA. That's the way the process works.

Plus - Bynum is a youngster. He will have a shot at a max contract when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

oLd sKool

yup member anderson verajeo?

charlotte offered him a low ball offer he accepted and cleveland jumped all over it
Andrea Bustani speaks the truth, never slurps every move the raptors make.

Andrea Bargnani 08-09 stats - 7 points 2 boards on 39% shooting
Jose CONderon 08-09 stats - won't be as good as TJ 5 star General Ford
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#33 » by sacking123 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:12 am

Bynum isnt actually after the max. If you read it he wanted a smaller deal, but his agent said "that is just a 20-year old talking." etc
His agent is sort of trying to strike while the iron is hot.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings

Return to Milwaukee Bucks