ImageImage

Trade idea MIL/LAC

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Trade idea MIL/LAC 

Post#1 » by drew881 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:32 pm

So given the clippers are in dire need of a PF (evident in their offer for Zach Randolph), I propose the following:

Charlie Bell
6-3 PG from Michigan State
No games yet played in 2007/08

Charlie Villanueva
6-10 PF from Connecticut
Outgoing Players

For

Josh Powell
6-9 SF / PF from North Carolina State

1st round pick (add whatever protection you think the clippers need to make it go through, top 3?)

Why for the Bucks:

The Bucks are looking to unload Villanueva. We all know this, but we haven't found any takers yet. The Bucks are taking on larger salaries than last year by taking in Jefferson, so getting rid of Bell saves us some money. It also clears up room for Desmond Mason to play backup 2 guard

We get Powell (who averages about 5 boards 5 points in 5 min). I'll be honest that I haven't seen him play much, but he seems athletic: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ALM5W03qMv8&feature=related (putback).

This is a move that admits we can't do everything in one year. It frees up some money with Bell, and Villanueva is dumped. We get a first round pick for next year, and have some decent salary coming off to make some sort of move (salary room and 2 1st round picks - the clippers will definitely be a lotto pick). It is probably the only way we can get a 1st round pick for Charlie (unless we play him for a lot of the season and hope he produces, leading to a midseason trade).

Lineup:

Mo Williams, Sessions
Redd, Mason
Jefferson, Alexander
Powell, rumored new signing
Bogut, Gadzuric

Why for the Clippers:

The clippers only have 9 players on their roster right now according to trade checker (with some of those players being total benchwarmers, so the 2 for 1 benefits them. The clippers will probably not be able to find a FA power forward, as Atlanta will probably match any Josh Smith offer. With signing Baron Davis, they don't seem to be content on holding their cap room for next year.

Clippers get CV, as well as Bell who can play behind Davis and Gordon, splitting minutes with Mobley. They need another backcourt player, unless they want to play Brevin Knight and Cuttino Mobley with heavy minutes. This deal doesn't eat up too much of their cap space, and CV is expiring if they want to sign a different PF in next years offseason.

Lineup

Davis, Knight
Gordon, Bell
Thornton, Thomas
CV,
Kaman
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Re: Trade idea MIL/LAC 

Post#2 » by andonewheel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 pm

Powell has vitually no value; I definitely feel any team could sign a free agent of comparable talent to a minimum contract.

So the deal is CV for a protected first. I actually like that pick because if LA goes into the season with the lineup you listed the pick would probably be in the 8-12 range and I don't think they'd be improving too much. With this deal we would need to bring in a starting PF from somewhere though because Powell/FA is a huge void at the position.
drew881
RealGM

Post#3 » by drew881 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:56 pm

andonewheel wrote:Powell has vitually no value; I definitely feel any team could sign a free agent of comparable talent to a minimum contract.

So the deal is CV for a protected first. I actually like that pick because if LA goes into the season with the lineup you listed the pick would probably be in the 8-12 range and I don't think they'd be improving too much. With this deal we would need to bring in a starting PF from somewhere though because Powell/FA is a huge void at the position.

Note that Charlie Bell is in there too, so depending on how highly you view Bell, you may hate this more. I don't think CV alone will get a first, and thats why I added Bell. He is necessary for the Clippers to have some depth.

Also, I just read on the wiretap that Walsh is trying to get Eric Gordon in a Randolph deal. I don't see how that is going to work or what other players are involved, but it sounds even more insane for the clippers. My guess is NY is giving up multiple future first round picks in order to be able to shed salary, especially if they are wanting Gordon.
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#4 » by andonewheel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:05 am

I just don't see LA wanting CV or CBell, those players aren't going to help them make the playoffs if they weren't going to anyways. I also think their 1st round pick has considerable value.

I don't buy Gordon to NY rumors at all, sounds like total BS to me.
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter
And1: 0

Post#5 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:49 am

August 6th

Bucks get David Lee, Cuttino Mobley, Mardy Collins
give Redd

Clips get Z Randolph, Michael Redd, $$ cash from NY
give Gordon, Mobley, Tim Thomas, 09 first

Knicks get Eric Gordon, Clips 09 First, Tim Thomas
give Randolph, Lee, Collins
by LUKE23 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
I certainly wouldn't be dancing in the streets or bestowing a bunch of praise on Hammond though.
It's like taking three huge dumps on your kitchen floor, then cleaning up one of them.
drew881
RealGM

Post#6 » by drew881 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:19 am

That deal makes no sense whatsoever for the Bucks or Clippers. The Knicks would deal in a second. The first round pick should go to the Bucks if anyone, and even then it is still a bad trade.

More Bang For The Bucks wrote:August 6th

Bucks get David Lee, Cuttino Mobley, Mardy Collins
give Redd

Clips get Z Randolph, Michael Redd, $$ cash from NY
give Gordon, Mobley, Tim Thomas, 09 first

Knicks get Eric Gordon, Clips 09 First, Tim Thomas
give Randolph, Lee, Collins
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#7 » by tedbrogen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:14 am

Next year is a very weak and thin draft class, the Bucks shouldn't consider moving assets for picks. They should be moving their 2009 first rounder, top 3 protected in case of a serious disaster, along with CV, Mo, and Mason's expiring in any deal(s) that lands them a PG who plays defense and a PF who can defend and rebound. If Bell or Gadz can be dumped in any of those moves, then GREAT! If not, them see if Skiles can get anything out of them as they seem to be players that he wouldn't mind having on the roster since they play defense.

That second deal is awful. Redd for Mobley, Collins, and Lee - NO!
thetown
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by thetown » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:20 am

If the Clipper's can't get Smith/Marion/Okafor, I like:

Clipps get: Charlie Villanueva, Dan Gadzuric
Bucks get: "cash considerations"

Clipps should have the cap room to absord these contracts. With the up-tempo style that Dunleavy was talking about, these two should be good fits, and Gadzuric will be returning to his college town. For the Bucks it's a straight salary dump.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#9 » by tedbrogen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:15 am

Agreed on that idea. Or the Bucks could take back a random summer leaguer from the Clips or a future second round draft pick or a Josh Powell or whatever works for the Clips.

Means the Bucks have their full MLE and LLE available to replace CV with an actual PF and Gadz with a backup center that they don't have to worry about fouling out in the 10 minutes he is required to play. Also, puts to rest any worries about going over the luxury tax threshold.

I would do this, throw a full 3 or 4 year MLE deal at Landry, toss the LLE at Skinner or Kwame, try that Mason's expiring deal for Watson deal with the artists formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics, and move Mo to the bench.

I wouldn't mind this roster:
Bogut/Kwame or Skinner
Landry/Alexander/Kwame or Skinner
RJ/Alexander/Storey
Redd/Mo/Bell
Watson/Sessions/Mo

Prince Luc would start the season in the D-League and they would have to sign someone to the league minimum to fill out the last roster spot.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#10 » by Chapter29 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Why are we trying to just give away our only PF on the roster?
Giannis
is
UponUs
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#11 » by tedbrogen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Because it would free up money to sign a real PF in Landry, and it would get rid of Gadz who they could replace with Skinner or Kwame.

Would you rather have Landry at PF and Skinner at backup C, or CV at PF and Gadz at backup C?

If Landry couldn't be signed, they could still use some of the MLE to go after Craig Smith.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks