Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,074

Game Thread:Bucks v. Nuggets--9:30pmCST tonight 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 am

Game 3.....Magic Sessions and JA

For those that are wanting to compare summer league performance versus what the player actually does in the fall, here's one: David Noel is averaging 2ppg for Houston right now.

Do any of you guys have stats for what he averaged in SL his rookie year?
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Re: Game Thread:Bucks v. Nuggets--9:30pmCST tonight 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:48 am

2nd round pick the Nuggets got for Camby will be >>>> Alexander
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#3 » by cam2win » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:20 pm

trwi7 wrote:2nd round pick the Nuggets got for Camby will be >>>> Alexander

Quick, check your crystal ball and let me know if I'll win the lottery
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,612

Post#4 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 pm

JA couldn't start on my sister's high school team.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:31 pm

cam2win wrote:
trwi7 wrote:2nd round pick the Nuggets got for Camby will be >>>> Alexander

Quick, check your crystal ball and let me know if I'll win the lottery

No, you only got one number and it wasn't the powerball.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,490

Post#6 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Check out my rap:

I met a girl. She wouldn't let me in
But she changed her mind/cuz this is a must win

Uh!
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#7 » by paul » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:44 pm

What is this Supreme?
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,490

Post#8 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:49 pm

paul wrote:What is this Supreme?

A must win!

What?

A must win!

They call my jaws/my hat is like a shark's fin.

You think I'm done? Nope. I'm about to begin.

This summer league game is a must win!
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,612

Post#9 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Ah, Supreme's must win calls. Basketball season is near.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,826

Post#10 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:11 pm

I have a feeling the must win talk will be resurfaced around late January if this is the team we go to war with.
Go Bucks!
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#11 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:26 pm

MFScho wrote:I have a feeling the must win talk will be resurfaced around late January if this is the team we go to war with.

But the playoff race doesn't start until April, no need to worry about games in January.
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#12 » by Simulack » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Wasn't able to watch the last game but I read a number of posts talking about how well Alexander played. Hopefully he'll have another dominating 11/3 type performance to shut some of us doubters up!

It's too bad we can't somehow watch these games without any preconceptions like knowing one guy like Alexander was a lottery pick and another like Freije is just Summer League roster fodder. Hypothetically, would Alexander even stand out so far from other guys who are there just to take up SL roster space?

IMO the best way to judge these guys is to try to watch them with fresh eyes untainted by preconceptions not adopt a "hey, let's give our lottery pick the benefit of the doubt!" mentality. A guy who was a lottery pick shouldn't have a problem standing out from guys who will never sniff an NBA roster and so far Alexander has.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#13 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Simulack wrote:Wasn't able to watch the last game but I read a number of posts talking about how well Alexander played. Hopefully he'll have another dominating 11/3 type performance to shut some of us doubters up!

It's too bad we can't somehow watch these games without any preconceptions like knowing one guy like Alexander was a lottery pick and another like Freije is just Summer League roster fodder. Hypothetically, would Alexander even stand out so far from other guys who are there just to take up SL roster space?

IMO the best way to judge these guys is to try to watch them with fresh eyes untainted by preconceptions not adopt a "hey, let's give our lottery pick the benefit of the doubt!" mentality. A guy who was a lottery pick shouldn't have a problem standing out from guys who will never sniff an NBA roster and so far Alexander has.

Great post. Also, don't let the manner in which guys produce overrule the question of whether they do or don't produce in the first place. I think the instinct for all of us is to underrate the contributiosn of players who contribute in non-sexy ways (i.e. by not turning the ball over, by shooting a high percentage, by grabbing boards). I certainly was guilty of underrating Patterson and Skinner two years ago because they didn't match my preconceptions of what makes a "good" player at their position.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,074

Post#14 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Simulack wrote:It's too bad we can't somehow watch these games without any preconceptions like knowing one guy like Alexander was a lottery pick and another like Freije is just Summer League roster fodder. Hypothetically, would Alexander even stand out so far from other guys who are there just to take up SL roster space?.

I actually am watching JA's performance as it relates to only three guys: Bayless and Lopez (because those were consensus guys rated much higher for a year prior to the draft who then slipped) and Speights because so many of you guys talked him up and he'd fit a big need.

Everyone else on the court is inconsequential save for the couple guys we specifically passed on in the lotto in favor or JA. Interestingly enough all three of those guys have to date significantly outperformed JA. But tonight is another game.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,499

Post#15 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Simulack wrote:Wasn't able to watch the last game but I read a number of posts talking about how well Alexander played. Hopefully he'll have another dominating 11/3 type performance to shut some of us doubters up!

Good post. I too thought it was silly how his supporters were acting self righteous just because he looked like your average summer league player instead of a rec leaguer. I doubt if nobody knew who Joe Alexander was beforehand, they'd be able to clearly tell he was our 1st round pick instead of Matt Lojeski. I mean you look at that performance by itself, it was still worse than the average performance of every lotto pick who played multiple games. Far inferior to lower 1st rounders like Donte Greene, JJ Hickson, Marreese Speights, Darrell Arthur, and Courtney Lee. Once again, I know it's summer league so limited in meaning, but they were bragging based on THAT game.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#16 » by europa » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:02 pm

We need to quell the hyperbole a bit. :) I don't recall anyone saying Alexander was dominant. What I said was that he played composed, made smart basketball plays, shot the ball well and passed extremely well. I thought he played very well. I also believe many of us who praised his play also made note of the fact he isn't rebounding well and that's an area of his game that must improve - especially if he's going to see minutes at PF next season.
Nothing will not break me.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#17 » by crkone » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Bernman wrote:

Good post. I too thought it was silly how his supporters were acting self righteous just because he looked like your average summer league player instead of a rec leaguer. I doubt if nobody knew who Joe Alexander was beforehand, they'd be able to clearly tell he was our 1st round pick instead of Matt Lojeski. I mean you look at that performance by itself, it was still worse than the average performance of every lotto pick who played multiple games. Far inferior to lower 1st rounders like Donte Greene, JJ Hickson, Marreese Speights, Darrell Arthur, and Courtney Lee. Once again, I know it's summer league so limited in meaning, but they were bragging based on THAT game.

I think you may have used the wrong word to describe what people were saying. They said that he had a solid game and wasn't like a deer in headlights as opposed to the first game. I wouldn't say those people were bragging about that. One big thing in this game was he wasn't looking to get his own as shown by his 9 shot attempts. Maybe if he gets 18-20 shot attempts he could score 25 or more like Green and Randolph. Why he isn't shooting that much I don't know. He can get his shot off just fine, maybe he is a puss-e.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#18 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm in the boat where I expect zero out of Alexander so anything he gives us is a bonus. I think we should've drafted somebody else, but he's our guy so I'll stay patient.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#19 » by Andrew34r » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:19 pm

It will be interesting to see how Sessions plays in his last game before he gets traded.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#20 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Calling Trey Johnson, this is your NBA dream speaking... Trey, Trey... Are you there Trey?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks