Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Monta gets a reported 6YR/$66M 

Post#1 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:18 am

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2008/07 ... ign-monta/

By Marcus
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 at 5:50 pm in Uncategorized.

The Warriors’ signaled their end to shopping for other team’s free agents by locking up their own guy. Monta Ellis inked a six-year deal today worth $66 million according to an NBA insider.
The fourth-year player out of Lanier High in Mississippi is now the highest-paid Warrior and is expected to be the starting point guard.

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site

WOW! Thats a chunk of change. It will be interesting to see if he can run the point full time
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Re: Monta gets a reported 6YR/$66M 

Post#2 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 am

Not that we should talk, but they're spending an awful lot of money on a lotto team.

Ellis - $11 million
Maggette - $10 million
Foyle - $10 million
Harrington - $9 million
Jackson - $7 million
Turiaf - $4 million

Biedrins still to be signed, and he won't be cheap. Cheap but extremely raw bench with Wright, Randolph, Bellinelli. Not really sure what their strategy is.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:31 am

Its weird to me when a guy like Corey Maggette is making 10 million dollars a year, but a guy like Childress can't even get 6-7 million per.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#4 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:31 am

I like Monta Ellis, but I'm not sure I believe he can be a point guard full-time and according to this article that is their expectation. Good like with that GSW.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#5 » by bigkurty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:39 am

Yeah, I don't get their strategy either but Monta is very good while being very young so he might be worth that much money. If he could become more of a threat at 3 point shooting, he could become a top 10 scorer pretty easily. However he doesn't have a true position and would be best playing PG next to a guy like Roy who could facilitate the offense at times IMO.

BTW, according to Berri, he was the most improved player last year.
http://www.wagesofwins.com/MIP0708.html
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,057

Post#6 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:44 am

You think "chucker" with him, and while he was, he did shoot 53% last year which is an amazing stat for a guy who thinks about his own offense so much.

But I agree with the comment about GSW being an overpaid lottery team. We'll see next year how much Baron Davis stirred the drink out there.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#7 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:50 am

So 11 mil per, either hes way overpaid, or Mo Williams salary isnt bad, you cant have it both ways. Though I expect someone to claim that you can. Yes Monta is 3 years younger I get that, but its still 2 and a half PER year more than Mo costs.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#8 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 am

Monta is just a much better player than Mo for the simple reason his speed on the court can be a game changer on offense and defense.

But I wouldn't have paid him that much money.....Monta should have gotten a 6/$52 deal and Mo a 6/$36 deal.

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:01 am

If you are a believer in Berri's work, Monta >>> Mo and it isn't even close to close.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#10 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:06 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Monta is just a much better player than Mo for the simple reason his speed on the court can be a game changer on offense and defense.

But I wouldn't have paid him that much money.....Monta should have gotten a 6/$52 deal and Mo a 6/$36 deal.

When you have guys with the "speed" of Redd, Simmons, Yi/or CV, and Bogut next to you, you arent going to play a running style of game.

Add to that you're talking about the responsibilities Monta had as a SG next to Baron, not as a PG.

Im not saying Mo is better, I'm just saying that Monta isnt worlds ahead of him by any means. (In terms of speed or overall player).
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#11 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:10 am

That's a fair point to note that Monta didn't have to play PG with Baron there.....I still think he's quite a bit better than Mo but acknowledge the different team and style.

In any event, they'll need either Brandan Wright or Anthony Randolph to be a breakout PF for that team to do anything.

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#12 » by emunney » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:54 am

The next time Mo flies down the lane and dunks in some center's face, let me know. Mo is a quick and fast player, but Monta is elite in terms of explosion with the ball in his hands. In the meantime, Monta can't shoot a 3. If Monta can figure out how to shoot, his physical gifts make him better than Mo, better than Arenas. It makes him about as valuable an offensive weapon as you can have in today's NBA. I think that, combined with the pace-inflated numbers Monta put up, is what gets him this contract. Mo is a phenomenal shooter, though, so it's going to take a lot for Monta to get to his level in that sense -- but Mo will never be able to do what Monta does. That's the difference.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,575

Post#13 » by Frank Nova » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:11 am

Monta is a perfect fit PG for Nelly's style, I feel Nelly thinks of a PG as not really a position but just someone to be the main ball handler who can push the tempo of the game and Ellis might be 1 of the best in the business doing exactly that so I dont think Ellis or GSW will have a problem at all as far as their "Point Guard" goes..

Call me crazy but Monta Ellis is just as good if not better than Diddy anyway so letting Ellis be the man Diddy was last year ur not losing a step IMO... Granted I realize having Diddy and Ellis is far better than 1 or the other but keeping Ellis and getting a player like Maggette makes up for the loss of Diddy and fills a huge hole they had in their starting 5 to boot...

I like the direction GSW is headed, re-signing Biedrins will be a huge factor in the direction and also like someone else said Brandon Wright and Anthony Randolph will have to play bigger roles next year so its 50-50 id say

and for the record, I'd just like to say that I agree with everyone saying Monta is better than Mo.. it is a close comparison but Id take Monta 10 outta 10 times
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
playmaker24
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#14 » by playmaker24 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:12 am

adamcz wrote:Not that we should talk, but they're spending an awful lot of money on a lotto team.

Ellis - $11 million
Maggette - $10 million
Foyle - $10 million
Harrington - $9 million
Jackson - $7 million
Turiaf - $4 million

Biedrins still to be signed, and he won't be cheap. Cheap but extremely raw bench with Wright, Randolph, Bellinelli. Not really sure what their strategy is.

Anybody else find it kind of funny that arguably the best player left on that roster, IMO Jackson, isn't being paid the second least of all on that list, which will include biedrins shortly.

I guess that shows how the salary cap influences everything.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,056

Post#15 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:43 am

emunney wrote:The next time Mo flies down the lane and dunks in some center's face, let me know. Mo is a quick and fast player, but Monta is elite in terms of explosion with the ball in his hands. In the meantime, Monta can't shoot a 3.

I hope you realize how silly that sounds.

It's more important to be able to dunk on someone than it is to hit a three pointer consistently?
emunney
RealGM

Post#16 » by emunney » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:54 am

Did you read the rest of the post?
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#17 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:01 am

playmaker24 wrote:
adamcz wrote:Not that we should talk, but they're spending an awful lot of money on a lotto team.

Ellis - $11 million
Maggette - $10 million
Foyle - $10 million
Harrington - $9 million
Jackson - $7 million
Turiaf - $4 million

Anybody else find it kind of funny that arguably the best player left on that roster, IMO Jackson, isn't being paid the second least of all on that list, which will include biedrins shortly.

I guess that shows how the salary cap influences everything.

The sad thing for Jackson is he could have been paid more than any of them pretty early in his career, except he was too big of a knucklehead so he ended up going to a JUCO even though he had top level talent. (He was a top 20 prep player by scouts, but didnt cut it academically. His coach at Oak Hill said he was one of the most versatile and talented players he ever had) He even was the leading scorer in the 1996 All-American game. (The one with Kobe, JO, Tim Thomas, Mike Bibby, Rip Hamilton)

Its amazing how their were two guys that year with insane talent that just didnt have the work ethic to fulfill their potential (Tim Thomas being the other).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,056

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:50 am

emunney wrote:Did you read the rest of the post?

Sure I did.

But I'm sort of a 'he is what he is' kind of fan. Right now Bogut can't shoot and has no post game, save a little flip that's as ugly a shot as I've seen. I think he's overpaid significantly because he lacks these elements that could make him an outstanding player. As a Bucks fan, I hope that he turns into the offensive savant that we thought he could be coming out of Utah. But the key word is 'could'. He's not there yet.

Mo Williams isn't 30. He could become a better decision maker and a better defender. I wouldn't count on it, but it's possible. Just like Monta Ellis could become a lights out shooter from the outside.

So, right now, do you value a guy that can dunk or a guy that can hit from the outside?
emunney
RealGM

Post#19 » by emunney » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:21 am

That's kind of the point. I didn't differentiate between the values of their skills from my perspective, and yet you said it was silly. All I did was describe them -- and state that Monta got more money because his athleticism isn't something that Mo can develop, while Mo's jumpshot is something Monta can work on. (And due to GS's fast pace.) Mo wasn't much of a shooter at Monta's age, for what it's worth. The point is that Monta's jumpshooting is sub-mediocre, and yet he's still at least as good or better than Mo, whose shot is tremendous.

To answer your question, I value the guy who contributes more to wins, and that's Monta by a huge margin. Generally I'll take the guard who can shoot, but Monta is ridiculous going to the basket. Elite going to the rim is better than elite shooting in that it draws defenders away from your bigs. It's easy to get great shots that way.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#20 » by AussieBuck » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 am

I think someone needs to conduct a study on how Bogut manages to score in the NBA with no post game except for that famous "lefty flip shot," no jump shot, no ability to score outside of 3 feet at all in fact and mediocre finishing at the ring. It's an amazing talent.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks