How about Elton Brown?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

El Sid
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

How about Elton Brown? 

Post#1 » by El Sid » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14 pm

Hoopsworld
The Best Big Man Not Under Contract?: If you did not get a chance to read Travis Heath's piece on "The Other Elton" you should. Elton Brown's story is such an interesting tale, much like Jamario Moon's story last year. Elton has been everywhere trying to prove he belongs, and after leading the D-League in rebounding and double-doubles and winning a championship in Europe, you'd think a NBA team would want to bring him in. He played strong in Vegas during summer league (13.4 points, 10 rebounds in 24 minutes per game), and it was shocking to us to hear that Denver passed on him after he played so well. Word is a half dozen NBA teams are looking at him, but it's not like Elton is an unproven guy. Elton could start on some lottery teams and could be that missing big for a playoff team, and it's not like he'll be expensive. League sources say Elton should be signed before training camp; I find it hard to believe he's not signed now.

This information really peaked my interest. I've heard Elton Brown's name floated around before this piece, but I didn't realize how successful he was in Europe. The Bucks possible starting pg next season (Ramon) was a good player in the D-League last year, so why not give this guy a shot. He could be that bruising double-double guy that the Bucks would like next to Bogut. Not sure if he has a good mid-range game or not though.

He is 6'9", 250lbs. and 24yrs old.
He averaged a whopping 25.3ppg and 11.67rpg in the D-League in 2006 and he won a championship overseas last year.
El Sid
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: How about Elton Brown? 

Post#2 » by El Sid » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:15 pm

Here is an interesting article on this guy. If you want that bruiser, this might be him.
GO GET HIM!!!

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2008/7/ ... ling-summe
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#3 » by fam3381 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 pm

In Vegas I hung out with Matt Moore (who wrote the Ridiculous Upside piece on him) and he really raved about him. At the time he was all but sure he would get a deal with Denver, so it's interesting that fell through (I guess the Chris Andersen thing did it). Matt follows the D-League as closely as anyone and felt pretty strongly that he's been shafted as much as any guy in terms of not getting a chance with an NBA team.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#4 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:39 pm

If I remember correctly, Chuck Diesel has been advocating for us to sign in for a while now.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#5 » by Chapter29 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:45 pm

I would be more interested in this guy over Allen that is for sure.
Giannis
is
UponUs
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#6 » by emunney » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:06 pm

Brown has been statistically really intriguing for a long time. I think the Knicks had him in camp last year, Isiah was raving about him, and then suddenly he was cut. The guy has flat out rebounded everywhere he's been. I'm always in favor of bringing in these productive minimum salary types. Why not?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#7 » by fam3381 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 pm

It all comes down to our options IMO.

If we can't get someone like Kwame--who's obviously very flawed in his own right--then our options are very limited for an additional PF if we don't pull off a trade. You end up with guys like Malik Allen and Ruffin who are not good rotation guys but are known quantities, a trait which I'd suggest is probably overrated in the NBA. Is Elton Brown better than them? Would an NBA coach know how to use him properly? Given the quality of most end of the bench guys, I don't think it's a risk to take a flyer on a guy like Brown as a last resort.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#8 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:24 am

bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#9 » by bigkurty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:48 am

Yeah he looks like he is worth a flier on to me. Why not? Another interesting player is Rod Benson. He was one of the best rebounders and big men in the D league last year and Toronto put him on their summer league squad and he only got a few minutes of burn which is strange. If these guys were the better players in D league, why can't they get an opportunity? I don't get it. Are they really that much worse than the Rufins, Booths, Allens, etc. of the world?
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#10 » by bango_the_buck » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:14 am

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2109149

I guess that would be why no one has taken a flier yet...
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks