ImageImage

Darko Milicic

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

El Sid
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Darko Milicic 

Post#1 » by El Sid » Sat Aug 9, 2008 7:42 pm

Prepare for more fuel to be thrown on the "NBA players shouldn't be allowed to compete in international games during the summer" argument again, this time due to an injury sustained by Memphis Grizzlies forward Darko Milicic. The former top pick of the Detroit Pistons sustained an injury to his Achilles' tendon on July 20th when taking part in a workout with the Serbian National Team, and has since been unable to resume playing basketball. "Milicic went through intensive physical therapy after an injury he sustained on July 20th," said Serbian coach Dusan Ivkovic, as translated by HoopsWorld's Nikola Olic. "Although he was badly injured, he traveled with the team to tournaments in Moscow and China and we did everything we could to get him back into practice shape. The therapy did not give us the results we wanted, and the last attempt to get him back on the floor was at the beginning of August, when we did an MRI. That did not work because his pain was quite intense still so we decided that he would not continue to prepare with the national team." HoopsWorld

We had a chance to catch up with Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace, who is in Italy this week, and he said they are aware of the injury, but that they haven't been able to get in touch with Darko for the past few days to find out exactly what the severity might be. Apparently the Serbian team works out in the mountains where communication is not easily accessible, but Marc Iavaroni was up there after summer league in Vegas and said all was well when he left. The initial feeling is that the injury is not a major one. The Memphis Grizzlies are, however, looking to add a potential replacement for Milicic just in case. The team has reportedly offered a non-guaranteed deal to Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi which they hope to have signed when Wallace returns next week. Ehdadi played for Saba Battery of the Iran Super League and will compete with the Iranian team in the Olympics. He also had an impressive showing in Utah at the Rocky Mountain Revue, where he averaged 14 points, 12 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per game for the Iranian team.

If there has been to much talk about Darko then just lock this up but I'd like to see if other posters think I'm crazy with this idea or if they think it might make some sense.

Darko is hurt (but not seriously) and the Griz are looking for possible replacements to play center so I think his value is pretty low right now. Although it looks like the Bucks are about to sign Elson, we could use another center and of course another PF. How about Darko and Lowery for Gadzuric and CV? The Grizz have been reluctant to give up Lowery because of his potential but I could see them looking into this.

Bucks Get: Darko PF/C and Lowery PG
Grizz Get: CV PF and Gadz C

Why for the Bucks- THEY GET RID OF GADZ HORRIBLE CONTRACT and they immediately have one of the best back up centers in the league and either a solid compliment starting PF or a great back up PF/C. For "Mo-Nation" and the Sessions haters the Bucks might not trade Mo for another big and Sessions could get more experience in the D-League, or for the Sessions supporters the Bucks could trade Mo to make room for Lowery, Lue and Sessions. Whoever turns out better out of Lowery and Sessions would stick and the other could be traded for a good front court player in the future.

A lot of you might not think Darko is a good fit next to Bogut; I think they would work good together. The two of them together would swat more shots than probably any tandem in the league and both of them are good help defenders. Darko is inconsistent from far away and close up but he can knock down that 18 footer and give Bogut room inside to work.

Why for the Grizz- They are looking to possibly replace Darko as the article states and Lowery has to fight with Conley, Crittenton and now Mayo also. Getting rid of Lowery clears the PG logjam and they get CV to play the 4 and Gadzuric to take some of Darko's minutes at the 5. Conley, Mayo, Gay and CV would be a good four scoring options on a young team.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Re: Darko Milicic 

Post#2 » by eagle13 » Sat Aug 9, 2008 8:29 pm

Not bad. Grizz need big guys. CV gives them a 4 with potential who should work hard in a contract year and expires IF they don't like him. Gadz has only 1 more year than Darko.

I think Grizz considers this.

Bucks? Do it now.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#3 » by Balls2TheWalls » Sat Aug 9, 2008 9:19 pm

I don't think they do this deal. Milicic is easily the best player in the trade overall, and they get a guy in CV that could just jet at the end of the season and an albatross contract in Gadzuric - On top of that, we get another quality player in Lowry.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#4 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Aug 9, 2008 10:03 pm

I think CV would be a great fit with the Grizzlies and would ultimately become by far the most productive player in this trade - think 18 ppg and 8 rpg. Plus he would be a restricted free agent so there's really no issue whatsoever with his impending free agency - in fact, that's an advantage and his cap hold will be pretty low.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
bentley
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#5 » by bentley » Sat Aug 9, 2008 10:27 pm

Even if it doesn't happen------Creative idea. And well thought out. Not pie in the sky like most of the trades here. Interesting to read.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#6 » by raferfenix » Sat Aug 9, 2008 11:09 pm

We do it in a heart beat, but I have a hard time seeing Memphis going for it unless they are real down on Darko. For now, it seems like Darko is their long term center, but if they think he'll only be a good backup then they'd be much more willing to go for it.

Gadz would also be much more productive for them than us, as they are looking to go with a high octane suns style offense.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#7 » by AussieBuck » Sat Aug 9, 2008 11:19 pm

Memphis don't want any contracts on their books. There is no way in the world they would take on Gadz.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#8 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 am

raferfenix wrote:We do it in a heart beat, but I have a hard time seeing Memphis going for it unless they are real down on Darko. For now, it seems like Darko is their long term center, but if they think he'll only be a good backup then they'd be much more willing to go for it.

Gadz would also be much more productive for them than us, as they are looking to go with a high octane suns style offense.
If Memphis wanted to sign Josh Smith they would do this in a heartbeat and unite CVill with Rudy Gay his UConn teamate.

That would be a good deal. We could probaly get Hakim Warrick and Milicic as well...in the deal. Very good trade.
GO GRIZZ
Junior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by GO GRIZZ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 pm

As a Grizz fan, I say do it in a heart beat. It's on hoopsworld that we are in contact with NY to trade Milicic and filler for Zach Randolph. I would rather much deal for CV versus Randolph. Most of the Grizz fans would probably agree on this signing than Zach although I wouldn't mind either one of them. I myself thinks that Memphis could use a little additude. But if you guys would do this deal, this would be my first choice.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks