ImageImage

Bogut cleared of major injury

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Bogut cleared of major injury 

Post#1 » by icat2000 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:53 am

Boomers centre Andrew Bogut has been cleared of major ankle damage after stepping on Kobe Bryant's foot in Australia's Olympic loss to the United States.

Bogut played just 11 minutes in the 116-85 quarter-final defeat on Wednesday and there were fears he had picked up a significant injury after coach Brian Goorjian said the ankle "doesn't look good".

But a team spokesman said it was not as bad as initially feared - a relief for NBA side Milwaukee after Bogut inked a new deal last month reportedly worth upwards of $70 million over five years.

"He had an MRI and it looks pretty good," the spokesman said.

"It looks nothing more than a sprain.

"He'll have further assessment in Melbourne but it doesn't look as bad as initially feared."

Bogut was due to return to Australia on Thursday.

Source:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... mpics/2008

Bogut cleared of major ankle damage
21st August 2008, 17:20 WST

The Milwaukee Bucks can breathe a sigh of relief after Boomers centre Andrew Bogut was cleared of major ankle damage after stepping on Kobe Bryant's foot in Wednesday night's loss to the United States.

Bogut played just 11 minutes in the 116-85 quarter-final defeat and there were fears he had picked up a significant injury, with the Australian centre hobbling noticeably after the game.

It would have sparked major concern with the Bucks, who just last month signed Bogut to a five-year, $US72 million contract extension.

Australian coach Brian Goorjian said earlier on Thursday the ankle "doesn't look good" and that it had "popped" on Wednesday night, but a team spokesman said scans have shown the injury isn't serious.

"He had an MRI and it looks pretty good," the spokesman told AAP.

"It looks nothing more than a sprain.

"He's heading back to Australia tonight and has already left the (Athletes') Village.

"He'll have further assessment in Melbourne but it doesn't look as bad as initially feared."

It was the second time in less than a month Bogut had hurt an ankle, but he has time to recover before the 2008-09 NBA campaign commences in October.

He will have a short break in Melbourne before joining the Bucks for their pre-season campaign as he gears up for his fourth year in the NBA.

Asked if he expected a call from a concerned Milwaukee front office, Goorjian replied: "I don't think it's that kind of severity, I really don't.

"One of the things with Andrew is I think we've been good for him.

"Everybody that comes from outside teams and plays in this, goes back to their team a better player.

"I think Andrew grew a lot in this tournament and got better with us.

"I think we're talking about a 48-hour thing. Not a month from now. I think it'll settle down and he'll be fine."

Goorjian said the Boomers need to better manage their prized asset in the future if they are to contend for a first Olympic or world championship medal.

"He's played a lot of basketball and that's the situation with the international play," Goorjian said.

"He's playing year round and a body his size it's a hard thing to manage and get right.

"Clearly he came in a little bit underdone and hasn't been with the group a lot and a lot is demanded of him on this team.

"He is the building block, but we need to have the Andrew Bogut thing right in order to medal."

Source: http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx ... ame=508372
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,240

Re: Bogut cleared of major injury 

Post#2 » by Sigra » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:59 am

There is God after all. Good to know
BuckedRocket
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BuckedRocket » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 am

*massive sigh of relief*
bbboy
Ballboy

Post#4 » by bbboy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:04 am

nothing seriously ........only his ego......bad game against USA STARS
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#5 » by benultimate » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:04 am

:thumbsup:
Dags
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Dags » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:38 am

Good stuff.

Still, I expect certain people to come in here and complain rather than be relieved.
Das ist nümberwang!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,405

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:04 pm

Yeah let's not turn this into another Bogut bashing thread please.

I just listened to the sports report on the Bucks "flagship" station. They said Bogut will undergo an MRI "sometime today". Always on top of things.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
playmaker24
Sophomore

Post#8 » by playmaker24 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm

i'm guessing my post was deleted to avoid another bogut bashing thread..... fair enough if that what you want to avoid. I can accept that.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#9 » by Jez2983 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:25 pm

LOL - I can't believe people got that worried - he'll be fine. He just re-exacerbated the already-weak ligament. I posted more in the thread addressed to midranger.

Also, I love how he gets a full MRI for a rolled ankle - I see hundreds of these, and I've never had one who had an MRI. I reckon about 10 of my 1000+ patients a year get an MRI - I'd love for all them to get expensive scans (but they clearly don't get paid millions a year either!!!)
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#10 » by Newz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:34 pm

That's good to hear. Hopefully he can heal up quick and spend some time in the gym. We'd be a pretty damn good team if he can live up to the expectations set by his new contract.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#11 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:50 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Yeah let's not turn this into another Bogut bashing thread please.
I think we're getting carried away with our definition of "bash" here. That other thread was filled with statements that the rest of the civilized world would believe to be simply factual. Things like "Bogut is a good role player but will never be a star," or "Bogut puts up big games but disappears quickly when he loses confidence."

I've also noticed accusations of Redd bashing when people say he's just a shooter who doesn't pass or defend well. It's as if scouting reports by their very nature are considered to be bashing.

Maybe it's tiresome to read the same things over and over, but any truthful analysis of a 20-some win team is going to have more negatives than positives. If you have more good things to say than bad about a group of guys who can't win, that's just a fan bias - which is ok too - but not the only way to look at our situation.
Debit One
Starter
And1: 84

Post#12 » by Debit One » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:03 pm

adamcz wrote:I think we're getting carried away with our definition of "bash" here. That other thread was filled with statements that the rest of the civilized world would believe to be simply factual. Things like "Bogut is a good role player but will never be a star,"

There is nothing factual about that statement, Adam. It is 100% opinion.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#13 » by LUKE23 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:23 pm

Agreed. I saw more than enough out of Bogut last year to say that he CAN BE a star with a few more refinements. Do I think he'll ever be a superstar level big like Amare/Dwight? I'd say odds are against it, but a star big? Absolutely. He's not done improving.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 pm

I said that the rest of the civilized world (non-Bucks fans) would believe to be factual. If there are threads on other teams boards about Bogut the future star, please post a link.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#15 » by LUKE23 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:27 pm

adamcz wrote:I said that the rest of the civilized world (non-Bucks fans) would believe to be factual. If there are threads on other teams boards about Bogut the future star, please post a link.

It's irrelevant what Bucks fans or the outside world says Bogut WILL BE, because no one can accurately predict the future. Some people feel he showed enough last season to warrant him becoming a star player, some people feel he's plateaued as a player. Both statements are opinion.

Some people just think way higher of their opinions than others.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#16 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:28 pm

adamcz wrote:I said that the rest of the civilized world (non-Bucks fans) would believe to be factual.

:jawdrop:

Inside information?
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,031

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:28 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

Agreed. I saw more than enough out of Bogut last year to say that he CAN BE a star with a few more refinements. Do I think he'll ever be a superstar level big like Amare/Dwight? I'd say odds are against it, but a star big? Absolutely. He's not done improving.

Like a jump shot, post moves and his rebounding? By that measure there's a good number of players on every team that CAN BE stars with a few more refinements.

Not trying to be a smartass, I just don't see anything more than an average to somewhat above average center.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#18 » by LUKE23 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm not going to get into this in this thread. People have their opinions and I have mine, and mine isn't changing regarding Bogut. To say either is factual is what I'm debating, neither is. And that isn't debatable.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Come on guys, you're nitpicking something that I didn't even say (except GAD who nitpicked something that I did say). Point is that the "bashing" statements, were/are generally just consensus scouting reports that correlate cleanly with what national sports-writers and fans of other teams believe about our guys.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#20 » by LUKE23 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:43 pm

You included, "Bogut is a good role player but never be a star" in your definition of "factual statements". It is physically impossible for that to be a factual statement because the future has not ocurred yet. That is a person's OPINION. It's not hard to separate the two.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks