ImageImage

The Draft Lottery Sucks

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Re: The Draft Lottery Sucks 

Post#121 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:40 am

Yeah I need to see a picture of some of these "friends." People who post on message boards don't have friends.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#122 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:43 am

pfft

i have friends, they don't know a damn thing about the bucks
trwi7
RealGM

Post#123 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:47 am

jerrod wrote:pfft

Actual people jerrod. Not your Star Wars action figures.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

jerrod
RealGM
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#124 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 am

trwi7 wrote:

boba fett knows basketball
trwi7
RealGM

Post#125 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 am

jerrod wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

boba fett knows basketball

Well so does Ando Calrissian but neither are Bucks or NBA fans. They're fans of college basketball.

InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#126 » by InsideOut » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:35 am

Well we do tend to hang out with people we have things in common with. :D
jerrod
RealGM

Post#127 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:41 am

InsideOut wrote:

Well we do tend to hang out with people we have things in common with. :D

ooooooooh

i'm hurt
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#128 » by MajorDad » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:17 am

so, since we talk alot together on the same subject, does that make jerrod my friend? it's nice to have friends on the internet. i have no real friends.

I remember the old days before the internet. We would mail in our fantasy line-ups. I always liked when we had a monday holiday because then we could mail in our line-ups on tuesday and use monday's results as kind of a cheat. if somebody hit for the cycle on monday, he was in my line-up. if a pitcher gave up 6 runs in a game on monday, i'd start somebody else. i also remember , when playing fantasy ball, we would use the telephone to propose trades. Sometimes that phone bill would be pretty high as most of the players in my leagues lived on the east coast. Sometimes, we'd talk for hours trying to get a trade agreed upon. There was this blind minister from boston who would talk forever - even longer than me.

I was an avid sporting news subscriber for over 20 years. When they changed their format to mimmick Sports illustrated, I canceled my subscription. I also remember when baseball Weekly also had all the box scores. then for some reason, they changed their name to sports weekly, added football junk/filler and eliminated the box scores. why couldn't they have just created Football weekly?

as for the benefits of the lottery, I see none. You will always have teams tanking. there will always be 1-3 teams in any sport that are really bad. they are not tanking. they are just real bad teams.

I will agree with jerrod, that the latest version of the NBA lottery does seem to encourage the mediocre teams to tank in the hopes they might get lucky.

let's look at the Olympics. Boy that guy named Wade looked really good. He sure did heal fast didn't he? it was almost as if he was never injured last year. Was Wade injured last year? i forgot. what was the injury he claimed to have? tankitus? obviously, his team owner and GM wanted to tank, so they told their star player to create some fake injury.

That is the part of the lottery i hate. More and more players every year are coming down with fake injuries and are sitting out significant portions of the year as their team tanks. Players used to play through injuries. not anymore. Bogut will probably miss the first half of the year after sustaining that ankle injury stepping on kobe. Without a lottery, i have to believe Wade would have come back earlier, and would have played through the remainder of the year rather than shutting it down. The same would hold true for redd and bogut. But instead, it was a down year for miami, so Wade might as well just sit it out and Miami would hope for good things in the lottery.

As i've said earlier in this thread. lottery or no lottery, there will always be really bad teams, and also teams that tank. the lottery has not stopped this. This also happens in other sports as well. pittsburgh and KC will always be real bad baseball teams. I can understand that you don't want to reward a team for tanking. but sometimes, a team really does suck, and really needs that #1 draft pick.

Something to think about. the NBA has had this lottery for how long? 10+ years? They've modified it at least twice to increase the %s of the real bad teams getting the top pick. The first NBA lottery gave all teams in the lottery an equal chance. Obviously, the NBA owners didn't like that set-up. So with the changes to the lottery to make it closer and closer to being a real draft, why not go that last step and give the last place team a 100% chance of getting the top pick?

my other thought on this issue is that the NBA lottery has been in existance for a long time. yet no other pro sport has even considered replacing their straight draft for a lottery. it's not even brought up for discussion. That should be an indicator of its lack of popularity among sports owners.

i' m quite certain if a poll of owners was taken, the lottery would be overturned.

what's all this talk about secret ballots and my head exploding? i think I've said before, your posts don't make my head explode, but rather my posts make others uneasy and upset. i can say total nonsense and get a 25 page thread reply.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks