ImageImage

OT:Mariotti quits - "Newspapers dead"

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Re: OT:Mariotti quits - "Newspapers dead" 

Post#21 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:36 pm

The Journal Sentinel works great for house training puppies as well. No accidents in a month!
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#22 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:40 pm

so first hip hop is dead, now newspapers, what next?

should we be worried about indoor plumbing, or maybe gravity?
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by MajorDad » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:54 pm

only women worry about gravity.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#24 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:16 pm

MajorDad wrote:only women worry about gravity.

:rofl:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
OzzyInTheLake
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#25 » by OzzyInTheLake » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:27 pm

I still consider myself to be youngish (22), and I am all over 5-8 different sports sites and 1-2 news sties every time I open my internet browser (makes checking my email time consuming), but I still enjoy reading newspapers.

Nowadays I basically only read newspapers for the opinion/editorial type articles anyway.

When I get back to Aus I'll get the paper delivered.. if only cause sitting with your laptop whilst taking a dump just isn't the same as having the actual paper there.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#26 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:46 pm

adamcz wrote:You're going to project league pass internet onto the wall? That will be the ugliest collection of 8 inch pixels you've ever seen.

That's exactly what i want.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
zizek
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by zizek » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 am

The big national newspapers should survive online but they have cut back and are becoming weaker all the time. The loss of dominant national newspaper and broadcast media with very extensive resources that were capable of establishing a consensus on the facts and removing a president in Watergate will be missed.

A diffuse media each of whose opposing view of reality is as good as the next will have a hard time getting a majority to agree on a set of facts that could remove a president who deserves it from office.
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#28 » by bayrdbandit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:54 am

OzzyInTheLake wrote:if only cause sitting with your laptop whilst taking a dump just isn't the same as having the actual paper there.

bingo.

newspapers aren't dead. this is a stupid argument. just because the tech world doesn't find a need for them, that doesn't proclaim their death. this would be a 40-50 year thing forecast at the very least. it's 2 generations away, no sooner. we may see smaller papers die off, but the biggies will linger for a long time to come.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#29 » by bigkurty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 am

50 years? I'd be shocked if newspapers were still around in 10-15 years. I work in an industry where one of my largest customer groups is paper mills. These things are closing left and right and its mostly due to declining paper and magazine subscriptions. In the last year alone, I know of at least 10 mills that have closed in North America and these mills are not small. Each Mill probably averages 500 workers. Now that may not seem too big but they are highly automated so those 500 workers at one mill can put out around 20-40 truckloads of material everyday on average. When it comes down to it, paper is just highly inefficient in nowadays. I think magazines will be around longer but newspapers will die a quick death in this country.
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#30 » by bayrdbandit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:29 pm

bigkurty wrote:50 years? I'd be shocked if newspapers were still around in 10-15 years. I work in an industry where one of my largest customer groups is paper mills. These things are closing left and right and its mostly due to declining paper and magazine subscriptions. In the last year alone, I know of at least 10 mills that have closed in North America and these mills are not small. Each Mill probably averages 500 workers. Now that may not seem too big but they are highly automated so those 500 workers at one mill can put out around 20-40 truckloads of material everyday on average. When it comes down to it, paper is just highly inefficient in nowadays. I think magazines will be around longer but newspapers will die a quick death in this country.

maybe things are a bit different here... melbourne's two biggest papers have a combined readership of over two million people. the idea of them disappearing within 10-15 years is laughable. but then, the usa tend to set the trends for these type of things...
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#31 » by unklchuk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:26 pm

IMO, it won't be a lingering death. The disease is far along. Some newspapers will survive through diversification. Maybe we'll have print-on-demand papers through the Internet if enough folks still want their words on paper, but the traditional newspaper process is far, far too slow.

I think it's fairly likely there'll be a niche for alternative publications. At least, I hope so.

I get the Post-Crescent about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. The same news (virtually) is in convenience stores early in the morning of that day. (But I can't get a delivered copy then.) That means it was assembled the night before. By today's standards, that completely invalidates the Post-Crescent as a news source for me. And since they're a chain paper, they're not trying to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. I have friends who still talk about the local newspaper as relevant in their worlds, but those friends aren't young.

Newsweek and Time I find more interesting - not for news, but because they do a lot of take-a-broader-view-and-analyze pieces, a number of here's-an-interesting-concept-let's-look-at-it pieces, some good opinion pieces, and provide sidebars and extra depth to the breaking news that comes from elsewhere. Of course, I'm paying $2/year (on a subscription deal) for each of them, so anything they offer is appreciated.
AFAIK, IDKM
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#32 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:03 pm

bayrdbandit wrote:maybe things are a bit different here... melbourne's two biggest papers have a combined readership of over two million people. the idea of them disappearing within 10-15 years is laughable. but then, the usa tend to set the trends for these type of things...

You may be imagining how long it will take 2 million readers to dwindle down to zero readers, but the publication will cease long before then. I don't know what subscriber number makes it a waste of time and money, but I would imagine that a drop of 1/3 would change the economics considerably.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#33 » by jerrod » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:21 pm

unklchuk wrote:Newsweek and Time I find more interesting - not for news, but because they do a lot of take-a-broader-view-and-analyze pieces, a number of here's-an-interesting-concept-let's-look-at-it pieces, some good opinion pieces, and provide sidebars and extra depth to the breaking news that comes from elsewhere. Of course, I'm paying $2/year (on a subscription deal) for each of them, so anything they offer is appreciated.

i really like time also, i used to read it at work but my boss's subscription ended.

any tips on how to acquire a $2 subscription?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,053

Post#34 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:31 pm

The appeal to papers isn't just the news, obviously, it's the portability. Read one with your coffee in the morning in the kitchen, on the bus or in a cab or on a train to work, sitting on the hopper, in a cafe on Sunday morning when you're wearing last night's clothes and you need something greasy in your stomach (the only time I read a physical copy of the newspaper), etc.

I think there's going to come a day when we'll see something like we saw in Minority Report. Digital newspapers that dynamically change. Make it so you can carry it in a brief case or under your arm. On the right material it could probably be rolled like a newspaper. I think that's what we'll see down the line.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks