Ersan Ilyasova Update

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Re: Ersan Ilyasova Update 

Post#61 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:45 am

trwi7 wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:They remind me of Golden State, a ton of three pointers and quick shots.

Yeah, I didn't see the game but I'm looking at the box score now. 40% of their shots were threes. I see he had five fouls. Were those legit fouls or was it weak ticky tack garbage that we see in the NBA nowadays? You said that he was guarding Pau and Bynum on occasion. I would assume that's where most of the fouls came from.
Some of his fouls were ticky tack fouls, others were a result of him trying to provide help defense when other guys were way out of position. He does a lot of flying all around the court trying to make stuff happen, and as a result ended up getting fouls for his efforts.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#62 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:46 am

i'll repost this in the morning
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#63 » by trwi7 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:54 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Getting these updates on Ersan is good yet depressing at the same time. Isn't Joe Alexander pretty much the same player? I would've rather brought Ersan back to fill in at the 3/4 and then either drafted a scorer to help off the bench (Bayless) or draft another big (Hibbert, the Lopez') to help out our terrible frontcourt outside of Bogut and CV.

I understand that, but I think we would've been better served bringing Ersan back and drafting someone to back up Bogut/also play spot minutes at PF or provide scoring off the bench would've helped more.

I think Ersan would at minimum be the same player as Alexander this year. They're basically the same age, Ersan the better rebounder and shooter, Alexander the better passer.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#64 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:58 am

trwi7 wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Getting these updates on Ersan is good yet depressing at the same time. Isn't Joe Alexander pretty much the same player? I would've rather brought Ersan back to fill in at the 3/4 and then either drafted a scorer to help off the bench (Bayless) or draft another big (Hibbert, the Lopez') to help out our terrible frontcourt outside of Bogut and CV.

I understand that, but I think we would've been better served bringing Ersan back and drafting someone to back up Bogut/also play spot minutes at PF or provide scoring off the bench would've helped more.

I think Ersan would at minimum be the same player as Alexander this year. They're basically the same age, Ersan the better rebounder and shooter, Alexander the better passer.

Actually think fans will see soon enough that Alexander is the better shooter.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#65 » by Jez2983 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:39 am

How amazingly versatile would our team be with Ersan? We'd have Redd, RJ, M&M, JA, Bell and Ersan himself who could all play multiple positions. CV was even talked about as playing SF as well. We could throw out some really athletic lineups and give the opposition fits.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#66 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Jez2983 wrote:How amazingly versatile would our team be with Ersan? We'd have Redd, RJ, M&M, JA, Bell and Ersan himself who could all play multiple positions. CV was even talked about as playing SF as well. We could throw out some really athletic lineups and give the opposition fits.

CV should never ever play SF, I know that ideal has been thrown around many times especially since he prefers to play a more finesse game than a power game, but CV does not have the lateral quickness to play SF at both ends of the floor therefore I would prefer that he stick to playing as a PF.

We would be incredibly versatile, and it sounds like this is something Hammond and others are committed to investigating and trying it out going forward. The only problem I think we will have is money, if they offer Ersan a huge contract somewhere overseas will he go for the money rather than the chance to come back and play in the NBA?

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#67 » by fam3381 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:24 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:CV should never ever play SF, I know that ideal has been thrown around many times especially since he prefers to play a more finesse game than a power game, but CV does not have the lateral quickness to play SF at both ends of the floor therefore I would prefer that he stick to playing as a PF.

Especially given he's really our only true PF, I don't see a point in giving CV burn at SF. The talk about him being an SF usually seems to come from fans of other teams anyway.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#68 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:28 pm

fam3381 wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:CV should never ever play SF, I know that ideal has been thrown around many times especially since he prefers to play a more finesse game than a power game, but CV does not have the lateral quickness to play SF at both ends of the floor therefore I would prefer that he stick to playing as a PF.

Especially given he's really our only true PF, I don't see a point in giving CV burn at SF. The talk about him being an SF usually seems to come from fans of other teams anyway.

Absolutely. Typically fans are only looking at his ability to play SF from the perspective of his strong offensive leanings without accounting for how horrific it would be for his team defensively. He's already is a putrid defender at his more natural position of PF, putting him at the SF even for short stints would be catastrophic.

oshmeehan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#69 » by oshmeehan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Barcelona plays the Clippers today....not sure on time as there are 2 different times given. I believe though its gonna be at 6:30 central time\

Also here are the highlights from the Barcelona/Lakers game yesterday. Nothing of Ersan really except for a nice alley-oop pace to Fran Vasquez at about the 20 second mark of the video

http://www.nba.com/video/games/lakers/2 ... r=whatsnew
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#70 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:15 pm

I thought the Lakers were going to play the Clippers today? The way the Laker's broadcast guys made it seem, the opponent in the Clippers game would be dependent on who won. Perhaps they had that wrong though. It's also worth nothing that they seemed pretty impressed with Ersan, and commented on him numerous times during the game.

oshmeehan
Banned User

Post#71 » by oshmeehan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:21 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:I thought the Lakers were going to play the Clippers today? The way the Laker's broadcast guys made it seem, the opponent in the Clippers game would be dependent on who won. Perhaps they had that wrong though. It's also worth nothing that they seemed pretty impressed with Ersan, and commented on him numerous times during the game.

From my understanding it was the winners of each of the two games yesterday play eachother today, and vice versa with the losers. Both the Raptors and Lakers won yesterday so they'd play eachother. And the Clippers and Barcelona both loss, thus playing eachother today. Also on nba.com it shows the Clippers playing Barcelona and Lakers playing Raptors.

Just curious CBQ on how you were able to watch the game? Was it online somewhere or is it with NBA League Pass? I think the only TV I saw it being played on was the FSN affiliate in LA
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#72 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:27 pm

It was on league pass last night at 9:30PM Central Time.

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#73 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:28 pm

oshmeehan wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:I thought the Lakers were going to play the Clippers today? The way the Laker's broadcast guys made it seem, the opponent in the Clippers game would be dependent on who won. Perhaps they had that wrong though. It's also worth nothing that they seemed pretty impressed with Ersan, and commented on him numerous times during the game.

From my understanding it was the winners of each of the two games yesterday play eachother today, and vice versa with the losers. Both the Raptors and Lakers won yesterday so they'd play eachother. And the Clippers and Barcelona both loss, thus playing eachother today. Also on nba.com it shows the Clippers playing Barcelona and Lakers playing Raptors.

Just curious CBQ on how you were able to watch the game? Was it online somewhere or is it with NBA League Pass? I think the only TV I saw it being played on was the FSN affiliate in LA

Thanks for clarifying, i only heard half of what they were saying because I was starting to get tired.

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#74 » by fam3381 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:40 am

Through three quarters against the Clips, Ersan has 11 points and 12 rebounds in 23 minutes. Barca trails by only three, but the Clips are resting pretty much everyone....Baron, Camby and Kaman are all sitting it out.

http://www.nba.com/games/20081019/LACBAR/boxscore.html
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#75 » by trwi7 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:55 am

We should make a package deal with Barcelona. Bring Ersan and NBA Legend Daniel Santiago to the Bucks for Damon Jones and Adrian Griffin.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
oshmeehan
Banned User

Post#76 » by oshmeehan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 am

Ersan ended up with 20 points and 14 rebounds and 2 blocks in 29 minutes for the game in a 114-109 loss

He actually had 7 points within a 10 second span with about 30 seconds left in the game. Made a layup, then a 3 pointer then an alley-oop dunk. Unfortunately he then made a bad pass and turned it over and missed a 3 pointer with 10 seconds left. I didn't get to see any of the game, just the gamecast of it, but i'm sure there will be highlights up on NBA.com shortly
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#77 » by midranger » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:28 am

oshmeehan wrote:Ersan ended up with 20 points and 14 rebounds and 2 blocks in 29 minutes for the game in a 114-109 loss

He actually had 7 points within a 10 second span with about 30 seconds left in the game. Made a layup, then a 3 pointer then an alley-oop dunk. Unfortunately he then made a bad pass and turned it over and missed a 3 pointer with 10 seconds left. I didn't get to see any of the game, just the gamecast of it, but i'm sure there will be highlights up on NBA.com shortly

Quite a line. I'm looking forward to Ersan's return.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#78 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:30 am

20 points, 14 boards and 2 blocks in just over 29 minutes for Ersan tonight. Barcelona loses by 5 to the Clips, 114-109. That's two close games for Barcelona on NBA soil playing under NBA rules. No NBA team has ever lost to an international team in the U.S. I think Barcelona has a legit shot to take the ACB and Euroleague titles this season and Ersan is competing with a very high level ball club. If Ilyasova keeps playing like this it only means good things for the Bucks, who could use the young Turk as a trade asset if an agreement can't be reached after this season. Ersan wants to play in the NBA again and he wants to return to Milwaukee, but who knows what the forward situation will look like. When the Wizards held the right's to Juan Carlos Navarro (Ersan's new teammate) they were able to start a mini bidding war and grab a first rounder from Memphis.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#79 » by Joana » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:15 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:
Second, I was watching this game mainly because of Ersan Ilyasova, because I wanted to see how he has been developing.. And for the most part I hate the way FC Bacelona plays. They remind me of Golden State, a ton of three pointers and quick shots. Ersan probably feels like he is back on the Bucks teams of the past couple of years. Not good.

But in regard to his play, he definitely is more confident and seems to have eliminated that consistent and pesky pump faking from his offensive arsenal. He was as active as ever and tried hard to make things happen defensively. At times he was relegated to guarding Pau, Bynum, and Radmanovic (he was of coarse over matched in many of those cases). He started a little slow at first, making a few errors but he was hustling hard, hitting shots when they needed him too for the most part and very attentive on defense. Seems to have developed his midrange shot a bit more also. My biggest complaint with him is probably more of a coaching issue than his individual play. I would like to see them put Ersan on the block more because ultimately I think he translates more as a AK-47 type of PF on this level than an SF. He isn't quite quick enough to keep up with the elite SFs in the league so continuing to develop his face up and post game is essential in my opinion. Instead of staying with FC Barcelona, it probably would be best for him to come over and start working more with our coaches now.

Definitely. Unfortunately they won't. The team in the NBA with a style that most resembles Barcelona is probably Indiana, with the 4 out/1 in offense and the clock management. So, expect Ily to be asked to play like Troy Murphy, or Antoine Walker a few years ago, when O'Brien was coaching Boston. But yes, Kirilenko is the best comparison to Ilyasova. IMO, the problem of projecting him as a swingman in the NBA is not so much his defense but the fact that he's not good enough creating from the perimeter.

As for having him back in the Bucks, I really don't know. It'll depend on how much money he's going to ask, what happens to Villanueva and the evolution of Alexander, something that I have a hard time predicting.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#80 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:33 am

Larry Harris compared Ilyasova to Robert Horry a few years back. I'd say a fresh legged Horry is probably the best comparison.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks