ImageImage

David Noel...how good is he?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Re: David Noel...how good is he? 

Post#21 » by old skool » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:10 pm

The thing that stuck me about Noel is that he could not get major minutes on a team that was desperate for a Small Forward. He was just not very good for the 800 minutes that he spent on the court that season. He ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. He showed lots of energy, but was ineffective.

I don't dismiss his lack of minutes and ineffectiveness to coaching. Terry Stotts might not ever be a top NBA coach, but he is a solid coach. The Bucks was his second head coaching position and he had several key assistant positions on winning teams. If Noel had the talent to blossom as a SF his rookie year, Stotts had the acumen to recognize that talent.

If one was going to make an argument that Noel did not get a fair chance in Milwaukee, I think that it is more likely that the goals set by the GM to make the playoffs and advance past the first round played more of a role in Noel not getting playing time than a lack of coaching talent.

In any event, no one here was upset last year when Noel was shown the door. That speaks volumes.

oLd sKool
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#22 » by trwi7 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:13 pm

old skool wrote:The thing that stuck me about Noel is that he could not get major minutes on a team that was desperate for a Small Forward. He was just not very good for the 800 minutes that he spent on the court that season. He ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. He showed lots of energy, but was ineffective.

This is pretty much spot on. I'd say Noel is like a forward version of Royal Ivey.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#23 » by emunney » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:52 pm

As a former walk on who didn't see much court time for UNC until his senior season, you wouldn't expect him to be very effective in the NBA his rookie year. I thought he looked a lot better last summer, though of course we never saw him in the NBA last year. He did apparently develop NBA range on his 3 point shot, as he shot pretty well in the D-League during his time there (and was very effective overall on both sides of the ball).

He's also a good passer and a good athlete, but he's not going to play as explosively as he tests athletically. He's not a reactive, one-legged jumper. He's strictly a two-legged jumper, so when he gathers, he can really elevate, but he doesn't have the ball handling ability or the ability to explode off one leg that would allow him to have lots of crazy dunks.

The book on Noel's career isn't closed yet. If he continues to work on his skills and studies the game, he could be a decent player. Plenty of guys have come into the league with a lot less to work with and have made nice careers for themselves.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Redd Shaman
Junior
And1: 25

Post#24 » by Redd Shaman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:42 pm

He was nasty in last year's 2k8 NBA game. Too bad he coulnd't do that in real life.
Stop. HAmmond TIme!
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#25 » by benultimate » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:15 pm

aboveAverage wrote:He has good athleticism, but god forbid he try to use it in a game. I don't think he ever tried to dunk during a bucks game, despite the fact that he won the college dunk contest. Waste of athleticism.

He tried at least once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwl9HymwL4&translated=1
jeramey
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#26 » by jeramey » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Way to content to shoot from outside, when he should have been using his athleticism to get to the rim.

Bucks cut him because of this. It's a weird form of laziness he has, all the energy in the world, but only thing he does is shoot jumpers.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#27 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:12 pm

He's a poor mans Desmond Mason and has a case of Villanueva-itis when it comes to shooting threes.
Cold Crush 24
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#28 » by Cold Crush 24 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:51 am

If he would he would have stayed in the D league this board would be salivating. He and Ramon together ripped it up if I remember correctly. If he can develope he can be good. He's got the drive and the athleticism. But he definately should not be shooting that many jumpers.
Finals in 2017

Return to Milwaukee Bucks