Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Damon Jones will not join Bucks 

Post#1 » by Captain Erv » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:18 am

Jones will not join Bucks
By Charles F. Gardner
Monday, Sep 29 2008, 08:08 PM

St. Francis - Veteran guard Damon Jones will not join the Bucks when training camp opens Tuesday morning at the Cousins Center.

That was one bit of news that came out of the team's annual media day on Monday, although it was hardly a major surprise. The 6-foot-3 Jones was acquired by the Bucks from Cleveland on Aug. 13 in the three-team trade that sent Mo Williams to the Cavaliers and brought point guard Luke Ridnour to Milwaukee from Oklahoma City.

Jones has a $4.4 million expiring contract, and it's possible the Bucks could make a deal involving the guard at some point during the season.

The Bucks released a statement that said: "The Milwaukee Bucks and Damon Jones have mutually decided that he will not join the team. Damon will continue to work on his own in preparation to play in the NBA this season. Both parties will explore options for Damon to reach this goal."

Jones played in 67 games for the Cavaliers last season and averaged 6.5 points while playing 20 minutes per game.

The 32-year-old guard has played for 10 NBA teams, including the 2003-'04 season with the Bucks. Jones played in all 82 games and averaged 7.0 points and 5.8 assists that year in Milwaukee for a playoff team coached by Terry Porter.

He went to the Miami Heat the following season and again played in 82 games while averaging a career-best 11.6 points.

Jones played the past three seasons with the Cavaliers, appearing in 209 games.

Not particularly surprising given his no-show at the ticket holder event. As some mentioned he can come in and knock down some big shots, but he is mostly known for his "celebrity" and not for his game.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Re: Damon Jones will not join Bucks 

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:23 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Our playoff season is over before it even began.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#3 » by jerrod » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:25 am

good
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#4 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:37 am

I think we should have fined the guy for not showing up....
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#5 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:43 am

Not surprised whatsoever, I kind of figured when he spent all of his time after the trade in Las Vegas that he wasn't coming here. He's been at every party and every celebrity event held in Vegas the past couple of months. I don't think he ever had any intent on coming here.

Now what can we get for him?
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Cold Crush 24
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#6 » by Cold Crush 24 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:43 am

Called it. He didn't not show up because he doesn't want to be a buck. This was in the plans all along. Thus no number on Bucks.com. I guess ol' 19 is waiting for Ersan!
Finals in 2017
trwi7
RealGM

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:50 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:He's been at every party and every celebrity event held in Vegas the past couple of months.

Now the question is how did he get invited to those parties?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#8 » by Captain Erv » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:52 am

trwi7 wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:He's been at every party and every celebrity event held in Vegas the past couple of months.

Now the question is how did he get invited to those parties?

I think he used to show up wrapped around Shaq's left foot. I'm not sure how he gets in now.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#9 » by chrbal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:12 am

Who is going to average 6 points and 2 assists per game? Who is going to shoot the same from the 3 pt and 2 pt lines? Who is going to tell the bucks about Shaq? Who? I ask you who?

Oh right, Tyronn Lue.

I figured Jones wouldn't stick around. I figured they got him in order to trade him. Not sure what team would want/need him though.

Orlando might make some sense, but for JJ Reddick and who? And do you honestly want JJ?
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#10 » by Buck You » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:13 am

Trade him for cash or a future 2nd round pick.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#11 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:21 am

Aw shucks. We could have used the best shooter on the planet.
Desmond24
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Desmond24 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:59 am

Good, didn't want Damon Jones on the team. Can't stand the guy
Officially on Brandon Jennings ROY bandwagon
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#13 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:19 am

As I said to many people here (off the board, I'm afraid) time and again from the day, I was told that we wouldn't be waiving Damon Jones, but also that he would not be with the team come the first day of the season. It appears as though they have publicized this arrangement.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#14 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:24 am

Crushing blow
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#15 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:11 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:As I said to many people here (off the board, I'm afraid) time and again from the day, I was told that we wouldn't be waiving Damon Jones, but also that he would not be with the team come the first day of the season. It appears as though they have publicized this arrangement.

Seems eerily similar to the Tim Thomas situation in Chicago.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#16 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:33 am

chrbal wrote:Who is going to average 6 points and 2 assists per game? Who is going to shoot the same from the 3 pt and 2 pt lines? Who is going to tell the bucks about Shaq? Who? I ask you who?

Oh right, Tyronn Lue.

I figured Jones wouldn't stick around. I figured they got him in order to trade him. Not sure what team would want/need him though.

Orlando might make some sense, but for JJ Reddick and who? And do you honestly want JJ?

Do you want JJ Redick and a filler like Mo Evans for Damon Jones and perhaps Dan Gadzuric or Ramon Sessions?

Hell yes are you crazy! Redick would be perfect as would JR Smith of Denver or many others like Sean Willaims and Maurice Acker of the Nets! I'd take that too.

There are many places or team you could go to who could use Damon Jones.

This bench (Bucks') needs to be fortified, and we need scorers. You never have enough shooters if Skiles wants to run. Rebounding is still going to be an issue of you ask me!

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY SHOOTERS...That was the Bulls' problem in Chicago.

You can't run if you can't play, block shots and rebound and share the basketball. I would love a JJ Redick and a Maurice Evans from Orlando for a package of Damon Jones, Ramon Sessions, and Dan Gadzuric!

JJ Redick is going to turn into a star on the right team who gives him a shot and a chance to find his niche' in the league.

He is fearless, smart, tough minded and a flat out gunner who can play within a system and grasp hold of it and rip your heart out!

You don't question North Carolina or Duke kids...Absolutely a team guy and character guy. So is Mo Evans...

Orlando would be wise to get a guy like Damon Jones and fillers to spread the floor for the big guy Howard.

Absolutely. This is one of many options.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#17 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:You don't question North Carolina or Duke kids...

You hear that guys? Never question the great Trajon Langdon!

I must say, I'm rather surprised at MBBOT's liking of J.J. Redick. He gets on the Bucks for being soft but wants Redick. Never fails to make me laugh.

NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#18 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:08 am

trwi7 wrote:
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:You don't question North Carolina or Duke kids...

You hear that guys? Never question the great Trajon Langdon!

I must say, I'm rather surprised at MBBOT's liking of J.J. Redick. He gets on the Bucks for being soft but wants Redick. Never fails to make me laugh.

Damn, so we cant question William Avery either then? (Speaking of that 99 draft, look at the scrub big men in the second round, Michael Ruffin, Calvin Booth, Francisco Elson....)
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#19 » by halfHAVOC » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:26 pm

he wasn't gonna get any playing time here neway.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#20 » by eagle13 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:28 pm

can't be traded until Oct 13. Guess he can party til then.

trade him to OK for Joe - but guess they don't want him.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks