ImageImage

10/22 Woelfel: Starter not set at PF

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Re: 10/22 Woelfel: Starter not set at PF 

Post#21 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Interesting.....Skiles publicly calls out CV and CV completely lays an egg tonight against the T-Wolves.

Would the Knicks ever trade David Lee for CV?

What if we sent CV/Bell/Damon for Lee and Malik Rose? Would the Knicks ever do that or am I just engaging in wishful thinking?

There are some really good things about Lee that can't be ignored, like the fact that he is willing and able to rebound at a high level, and hustle hard... but the bad thing about him is that he also doesn't play defense. We could use the hustle and rebounding though...
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#22 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:07 am

Allen doesn't play defense and also doesn't rebound. How is he better? Because he can hit the midrange shot? Just because you try hard on D doesn't mean you're a good defender. That is the boat Allen is in.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#23 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:08 am

Where is our bench scoring going to come from? As it is Charlie Bell is the only guy on the second unit who can consistently create his own shot. I'm not advocating Allen start btw, but I wouldn't be opposed to it all.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#24 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:08 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Mind games from Skiles to get CV going I think. Not sure if it's going to work. I wouldn't mind Allen as an AC Green type starter where he plays 12-15 mpg. I liked what I saw out of the tandem of Allen and Bogut when they were on the floor together. Allen can set up at the elbow and feed Bogut down low, if a double team comes Bogut kicks it back out to where Allen makes his living. He's also probably one of our best individual post defenders.

Didn't seem to work very well tonight... perhaps tomorrow he will do better.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#25 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:10 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Where is our bench scoring going to come from? As it is Charlie Bell is the only guy on the second unit who can consistently create his own shot. I'm not advocating Allen start btw, but I wouldn't be opposed to it all.

Probably Bell is going to be it, unless LRMAM or Alexander come on. But I'd always have 2 of Bogut/Redd/RJ on the floor. If Allen was a good rebounder or elite defender, I'd probably be OK with hiim starting, but he's not. I cannot confuse defensive effort with defensive ability for Allen.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#26 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:16 am

What he is a solid positional defender who knocks down open shots and doesn't make many mistakes. There aren't many "elite defenders" in the entire league, and the Bucks aren't blessed to have a single one on roster. We're talking about a guy getting maybe 12-15 minutes a game in all likelihood. No one is saying he's "better than CV", although he is certainly superior on the defensive end. How much better probably varies depending on everyone's feelings towards the players. I'll side with how Skiles feels.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#27 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:18 am

He's definitely better defensively than CV. No disagreement here. But enough better to make up for being a much worse offensive player and a worse rebounder (3.2 career boards a game in almost 17 minutes)? I don't think so. If Skiles disagrees so be it, but I have a very bad feeling about starting both Ridnour and Allen.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#28 » by xTitan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:22 am

I have to admit, I thought getting a role playing, veteran #4 in the off season was probably the most given thing, shocked that no one who fits that description was acquired. I said since day 1 of the Skiles regime that I just couldn't picture CV playing alot of minutes for Skiles simply because how awful he is on defense and how weak of a rebounder he is. I don't give a damn what type of statistical analysis anyone wants to use, we all watch the games and CV gets shoved around under the basket routinely.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#29 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:20 am

REDDzone wrote:We just can't have so many below average players playing such significant time for us.

Agreed.

This team will struggle defending for 4 quarters, rebounding like I stated a million times and guys not being able to run and create their own shots...

Just a horrible collection of players. You would have been better off keeping Yi.,.and moving CVill to New Jersey.

Not moving down and getting Horford has killed us! Before that not taking Marvin Williams or Chris Paul over Bogut.

Then we could have gone after Nene and Boozer who were availilble and were said by Hoopshypeto have been offered to us and were turned down.

Then moving TJ Ford, then no Artest and then no Zach Randolph...And you have what you have here in front of us!

Jusst like you should have traded this one instead of take Alexander! Dumb moves like this and not using your lottery picks wisely in this market sets a franchise back for years!

Common sense tells you that you need STAR POWER! Redd is not it...so you have to draft it when you get a top ten pick!

We refused to...and look at our sorry team now. Look at Portland, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, and some others who draft well like Philadelphia... LOOK AT THEM!

I've told all of you that for 4 years now! And you still call me a baffoon. Oh yeah, well look at who is right now...

Me!
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#30 » by Wise1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:01 pm

No defense at the 4 eh? Not enough rebounding there? Then why draft Joe Alexander John Hammond? Had the Bucks drafted Roy Hibbert, they would have had the option of sliding Bogut over to the 4 for defensive lineups and putting Hibbert in the middle. Options. Picking Alexander did nothing for this team from a strategic standpoint. LRMAM should get every one of Alexander's minutes. The CV / Skiles relationship will not be a good one.
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#31 » by JoeHova » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:03 pm

This definitely seems like a replay of last year where the team is counting on numerous horrible players to magically become serviceable. Last year it was Ruffin, Mason and Ivey, this year it is Allen and Elson (and maybe Ridnour, depending on if you feel his 2008 was just a fluke or a sign of things to come). Every team needs to play a couple guys who aren't any good, but the Bucks practically seem to build around those type of guys and they don't have the top level talent to make up for a bunch of terrible players the way the Spurs do.

Malik Allen was awful for Skiles in Chicago. The fact that Skiles apparently doesn't recognize that is extremely distressing.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#32 » by showtimesam » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:58 pm

I think Joe Alexander should start at pf. Even though he's listed at 6'8 he looks taller than alot of the powerforwards that have been side by side with him on screen so far.

With his bulk and athleticism I think he makes for a nice pf to play at that spot for 15 to 20 mpg. and CV can come off the bench and score.

Although I would like Joe to actually start using that athletcism for a monster slam or something. So far he just lays the ball in every time with no authority what so ever.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:00 pm

I'd rather start Allen than Potsie. Potsie is absolutely terrible and would get abused on offense, defense and especially rebounding if he plays PF.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#34 » by crkone » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Start the Prince at the 4. He may be a bit undersized but he will at least try to play defense and rebound.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#35 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:20 pm

Start CV. He's the best rebounder and scorer of the bunch. Allen is not a good enough defender to make up for the lack in the other areas. Much rather pair Ridnour, who is basically a scoring liability unless his jumper is falling, with four scorers, not three.

Malik Allen stinks.
Raptors90102
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#36 » by Raptors90102 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Meh.. Its a forgone conclusion that CV and Bucks are never going to be a good match. As for skiles, we all saw what he did to Tyrus Thomas, relegated him to the doghouse while he was in Chicago. Moreover, his mancrush for these journeymen veterans is always going to scrutinize young, talented players.

As for CV not being a starter, let me ask you this: If CV's defense isn't good enough for Skile to get him to start, whats the guarantee that Skiles will give CV more than 14-15 mins a game even off the bench? I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen getting 30 MPG with CV being relegated to an emergency-scorer role.

But the most revealing fact from the article was that Allen was somehow given an indication that he could start in Milwaukee before he signed the contract. Which means that CV was destined for Skiles' doghouse even before camp began.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#37 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:35 pm

I truly think is just a ploy to get CV motivated.

Skiles may start CV, but if he's getting abused, he will get the quick hook.

And it's much more important who finishes games, rather than who starts them in my opinion.

If CV can't or won't play any basic, fundamental defense, he won't be out there at the end of close games.

After watching Malik Allen take a post pass and then dribble about five times like he's a back to the basket kind of player, then ignore kicking it back out and just loft up a 10 foot turnaround jumper, I would much rather start the Prince then Malik Allen. Prince is a scrapper and will never get outhustled.

Malik Allen is self proclaimed "old and slow"
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#38 » by smooth 'lil balla » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:54 pm

I haven't posted in a long time...BUT.

Allen should be the starter. We don't need significant offense out of the 4 and Allen can hit the jumper. Pair that with him being a better team defender, and overall team player, I'd rather have him in there with the RJ, Redd, Bogut.

This year we will need Redd's scoring, and we'll get it. The people who should be shooting will be shooting. Ridnour looks very good thus far.

I have high hopes for this team. Preseason record means nothing.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#39 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:58 pm

showtimesam wrote:I think Joe Alexander should start at pf. Even though he's listed at 6'8 he looks taller than alot of the powerforwards that have been side by side with him on screen so far.
We would get out-rebounded in each and every one of our 82 games this year. Bogut may be able to pull down 11 boards a game, but that's not nearly enough to start a PF who will give you 4 rpg. And what does Alexander offer to make up for it? 20+ points on 50% shooting? Lock-down defense that will limit other starting PF's to 10 ppg?

IMO, Alexander would be the worst starting PF in the NBA. Can anyone name a lesser starter?
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#40 » by LUKE23 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Malik Allen.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks