ImageImage

Now that the Preseason is done....

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,454

Now that the Preseason is done.... 

Post#1 » by steger_3434 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Now that the preseason is done I figured I'd like to find out if anyone's opinions on this team have changed. After the very first preseason game where we were humiliated by the Wolves many people were saying, "it's only 1 preseason game, way to jump to conclusions".

For me, when looking at this preseason I am left with an ugly taste in my mouth. We were only really competitive in 3 of the 7 games. One being against a GS team that dressed possibly the worst team possible and we still only were able to win by 4. The other 2 competive games were the other GS game and last nights game. The other 4 games we were completely destroyed. Preseason records don't mean much people say and for the most part I agree with that. However, when looking at the worst preseason records this year I see these teams: Milwaukee, Charlotte, OKC, Sac., and Memphis. Along with the worst records the Bucks had the worst point differential by 4 points a game.

This preseason I saw:

Positives:
Ridnour looked a lot better than I thought he would.
Moute looked like he could be a steal from where we drafted him
Gadz looked less sucky

Negatives:
Redd doesn't look like he's changed all that much
RJ looks fat and uninterested out there
Bogut is injured and/or was injured most of preseason
Our bench is atrocious: Especially Lue and Sessions
JA looked more like our second round pick

So, my question is who here that were down on the Bucks before preseason now thinks they'll be better than you thought before and who thinks they'll be worse?
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Re: Now that the Preseason is done.... 

Post#2 » by BrewCityBBQ » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:54 pm

New system, new defensive schemes all new team and not enough team chemistry on the floor will usually take a while for everything to gel properly. I'm not worried yet. If we get through half the season and see no improvement well then we might be in trouble.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#3 » by unklchuk » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:56 pm

My (somewhat ambiguous) take: limited proven, integrated talent and a LOT of work to do. Rough early season and then... who knows? Someone in the team organization said yesterday that they expect a good shot at the 7th or 8th playoff spot. I accept that as a goal with sub .500 being more likely.

If they compete for a playoff spot, making it or not, it'll be a "good" start.
AFAIK, IDKM
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#4 » by upnorthfan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:01 pm

The question should be will they be better then last years team? The answer is YES! Skiles and Hammonds will turn this puppy around, but three weeks isn't long enough for Skiles style to be implemented.

Hammonds has done a nice job turning the roster over, but skiles has the hard job now. The hold over Bucks, especially Redd and CV, have too many bad habbits, and maybe the "old dog can't learn new tricks" adage is fitting here.

What I want to see out of this season is to get rid of the laziness of years past, the selfishness, and the "quit" Skiles said was evident from the outside looking in when teams would make a fourth quarter run.

Look, we are not going to win the NBA title this year. I say again, we are not going to win the NBA title this year! That is why I said earlier to play our rookies twenty minutes a game. Why not? One, it gives us a leg up come year two with playing experience, and two, these rookies are better then Griffin and Allen.

Pouring down the foundation of hard work, being a team, moving, passing and cutting. Consistancy and defense is the goal this year. Rebuilding? Not really, but when you are starting from the bottom of the heap it may appear thay way.

I see a 35 win team this year. Maybe the final month of the season we'll be in the hunt for a playoff spot, but even more important though, this is year one of a multi year project.

I have to again remind those of who who are blinded...the number one Bucks fan rule is "don't count on Gadz".
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#5 » by worthlessBucks » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:04 pm

Positives:
PLRMAM
Luke's defensive scrappyness. Fun to watch him with the ball.
Bell finally seeing some action.
Skiles yanking people quickly (CV/Bogut) for not playing hard/doing what they're supposed to be doing. I'll have my popcorn ready for when Redd gets the hook. The aftermath could be pretty good.
As a fan, the offensive playbook looks entertaining to watch; no more constant ISOs.
The female Chinese NBA employee who gave the guided tour on Paschketball.

Negatives
Everything Steger mentioned.
Knowing that this franchise will not properly rebuild until the arena is settled and Kohl is gone.
Go Bucks!
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Neapolitan Buck » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:08 pm

I believe we can be a nice team when the system and the defensive schemes will be totally learned by players, but the awful schedule will kill us now that the system and the defensive schemes are not learned yet.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#7 » by europa » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:58 pm

For me the positives would be:

1. Strong new approach and direction. I really believe Hammond and Skiles know what needs to be done to turn the Bucks into a winner. It isn't going to happen overnight but I see the seeds being planted and I do think it will happen.

2. Accountability. This is where Krystkowiak failed miserably and I don't think Skiles will. Play the game the wrong way and Skiles will deal with you.

3. Effort. We shouldn't have to ask professional athletes to try but sadly we often do. And the Bucks' effort the past two seasons was often deplorable. I think we'll see stronger effort this season and I think that will result in more entertaining basketball to watch.

4. Growth of young players. I believe Bogut will keep improving and take another step. M&M continues to impress and looks like a high-energy guy to come off the bench. I liked what I saw from Alexander in China and I believe he has talent and the potential to become a good (not likely a great) player in this league.

5. The Redd-Jefferson duo. We didn't really see it go off in the preseason but I think this has the makings of an exciting combination of wing players.

6. Skiles. The Bucks haven't had a legitimate NBA head coach in my opinion since Karl left. Porter and Stotts had some flashes; Krystkowiak had none. But Skiles is a proven winner and that will be huge for this team in my opinion.

The primary negatives would be:

1. Defensive issues. Skiles will help a lot but I still worry about the lack of defensive talent on this team.

2. Gaping hole at PF. Forgive me if I'm not fired up to believe this is the year Charlie Villanueva becomes a player. When an undersized rookie second-round pick looks like a more appealing starting option at PF, it's clear this will be a season-long issue.

Overall, I do believe the Bucks will be better than they've been the past two seasons. And that's where it has to start. The Bucks have regressed the past two seasons and I think the first step toward improvement is reversing that trend. It won't be easy and I expect this team to have its share of struggles but I do think it's headed in the right direction.
Nothing will not break me.
steger_3434
RealGM

Post#8 » by steger_3434 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:05 pm

I no doubt think we'll win more games than last year. It's pretty tough not to win you only win 26 games the year before. We won 26 games with our three best players (Redd, Bogut, Mo) missing 30 games. However, let's just say this senario plays itself out. We win 36 games, ten more than last year, and show more hustle while doing this. However, unlike last year we stay relatively healthy and our best three players (Redd, Bogut, RJ) only miss say 10 games. Is that really an improvement?
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
europa
RealGM

Post#9 » by europa » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Absolutely. But I'm not of the belief that injuries were the primary reason that prevented the Bucks from doing well the past two seasons. I think those two teams were flat-out awful. So yes, if the Bucks can show a 10-win improvement and are clearly showing an improved style of play and approach in the process I will view this as a very successful season.
steger_3434
RealGM

Post#10 » by steger_3434 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:11 pm

That is where I have to differ from you Europa. "showing up", "hustling", "trying" are things I'll support for grade school and high school. At this level the only thing that really matters to me are results. So if this team busts their ass, moves the ball, listens to their coach and still loses I'm not going to be happy.
europa
RealGM

Post#11 » by europa » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:15 pm

steger_3434 wrote:That is where I have to differ from you Europa. "showing up", "hustling", "trying" are things I'll support for grade school and high school. At this level the only thing that really matters to me are results. So if this team busts their ass, moves the ball, listens to their coach and still loses I'm not going to be happy.

I can't argue with that. And I agree we shouldn't have to praise a team for giving effort. But given how awful the Bucks' effort often was the past two seasons I do think a consistent approach in terms of effort will be an improvement. For me, that's one of the starting points. It has to start with the way this team approaches the game and plays the game on the court. I believed those two factors were horrible the past two seasons. So if they can be righted then the Bucks have begun down the path to improvement. I'm basically viewing this season as small steps that need to be taken. That isn't sexy and it may not always be exciting but given how horrible this team has been the past two seasons I think the challenge presented to Hammond and Skiles is huge. Because of that, I can't expect great improvements immediately. I'll take the small ones and build from there.
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#12 » by upnorthfan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:37 pm

steger_3434 wrote:That is where I have to differ from you Europa. "showing up", "hustling", "trying" are things I'll support for grade school and high school. At this level the only thing that really matters to me are results. So if this team busts their ass, moves the ball, listens to their coach and still loses I'm not going to be happy.

Then you can't see the trees because of the forest.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#13 » by midranger » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:00 pm

I don't see how anyone can be positive after this preseason. Bogut didn't look dramatic improved. Shocker. Mike Redd and Richard Jefferson didn't instantly revert to their form from years ago. Shocker. JA wasn't better than several guys drafted after him. Shocker. Lue, Sessions, Allen, and Elson all looked pretty poopy. Shocker. Skiles cannot work defensive miracles with a team of poor defenders. Shocker.

These are the things people identified before the preseason that needed to happen in order for us to have a decent season. They didn't. None of them.

And for judging this team on anything other than wins, I don't want to hear it. I remember two years ago with 80% of the starting lineup injured simultaneously, a certain poster being upset that Mo Williams couldn't guide us to the playoffs. It's all about wins and losses he said. It shouldn't matter what else happens, no context, just wins and losses. That's the standard he set, and that's what I'll be judging Hammond, Skiles, Redd, Bogut, etc... on.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#14 » by xTitan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:04 pm

I already believe the defense is greatly improved with the infusion of Ridnour, the Prince, Alexander, Elson and others....I really like the defense and quick hands of the rookies, both play hard and drive opponents a little crazy, especially the Prince, but JA is an underrated defensive player here. Ridnour had a rough game last night defensively mostly because Hinrich was out of his mind, doubt we see that Tuesday, but Ridnour will pick up the pg most nights 3 quarters court, something Mo Williams refused to do, this may seem a little, but if you get the other PG zig zagging it can disrupt offense and run valuable seconds off the clock, this was emphasized last year as well as this year. I liked the way the Bucks attacked defensively in the second half last night and how guys helped, something maybe only one or players did last year. Having said all of that you still have Redd and CV and those guys get taken off the dribble way to easily and I am not sure what you can do about that.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#15 » by midranger » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Two years ago, Mo frequently picked up the PG at 1/2 court or sooner. He simply couldn't stay in front of him because he's a poor defender.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
little_cleo
Sophomore
And1: 166

Post#16 » by little_cleo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:15 pm

It's going to be a rough season, if I had to put a record on them this year I think they will have only have 19 wins and 63 L's.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,044

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:22 pm

If the entire team stays healthy (won't happen), I think we could win 30 games.

More realistically I see another 26 win season.
europa
RealGM

Post#18 » by europa » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:46 pm

After having no belief at all in the last two teams, I at least have a belief that this team is headed in the right direction and that's a huge plus in my opinion. There are going to be a lot of struggles and I think patience will be needed but I am looking forward to this team heading in a new direction.
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#19 » by BDUB_30 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Something ive noticed that hasnt been touched on at all is Jeffersons on court leadership . He is constantly , talking to people out there . Commanding everyone around . Not sure if anyone else has picked up on it , if the bucks make a mistake , he has been there consitantly to call it out and correct .

This will either be a good or a bad for us . The problem im having with RJ being extremely vocal out there is he is , well , bluntly put .. he is doing an AWEFUL lot of finger pointing and blaming . The other night the bucks were in transition , rj went barreling into the paint got called for a charge .. he immediatly yelled at moute for not filling the lane quicker ... I failed to see how him barreling into his man was moutes fault at all .

Point im making is this . This is the first time in a long time ive seen a player of talent actually play this intensly . Now sure the critics are going to say his play hasnt been very competive or intense but i dont have any doubts that RJ is going to show up for us . The question is , will the others buy into this very intese on court accountability or are some going to get sick of RJ's finger pointing . He is doing it ALOT out there , constantly calling everyone to huddle up , he is clearly teaching this team how to fill the lanes in transition ( something mredd is just absoulty HORRIBLE AT ) , he is directing all the defensive roations , he is directing offensive spacing .. i have been amazed at how involved he is out there and how vocal , but it could end up being a problem if rj is out there pointing fingers at people for his own mistakes . I see a ton of potential with RJ being the floor leader out there , i think if the players keep at it and keep working despite some rough spots thru the first 20 games .. RJ will keep these guys in line , rj will continue to keep guys focuses ..

Between skiles and rj this team has a ton of accountability .. im not sure if the rest of you are picking up on how intense RJ is out there , he is the most vocal buck ive seen in a long time ...this is either going to be great for us or ...well ...anthony mason the sequal .
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#20 » by smauss » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:53 pm

europa wrote:After having no belief at all in the last two teams, I at least have a belief that this team is headed in the right direction and that's a huge plus in my opinion. There are going to be a lot of struggles and I think patience will be needed but I am looking forward to this team heading in a new direction.

This has been my opinion since "The Great Day" of change. I have a great deal of faith in the ability of our GM and our coach. Another aspect that hasn't been touched on is that our coaching staff also needs time to adjust and gell together as well.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator

Return to Milwaukee Bucks