ImageImage

OT: If you're willing to try opera..

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Re: OT: If you're willing to try opera.. 

Post#21 » by Badgerlander » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm

adamcz wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:Trevor Rabin was working on a Rock Opera during his final days with Yes, but I don't think it ever came to fruition. He did score a whole bunch of movies though.

Rock Opera makes me think of the funny one contained in "Forgetting Sarah Marsahll." Is it a genre that really exists?

Sure it exists, Tommy by the Who is probably the most famous. I think Godspell, and Jesus Christ Superstar were considered rock operas in their day. According to Wiki even The Wall is considered a rock opera.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#22 » by jerrod » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:36 pm

there was a hip hopera once too, mos def and beyonce were in it, it wasn't great
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#23 » by smauss » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:50 pm

jerrod wrote:there was a hip hopera once too, mos def and beyonce were in it, it wasn't great

What a surprise! :lol:
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#24 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:55 pm

smauss wrote:I said all of that to say that Adam, the advice MojorDad gave you was phenomenal!

I know your intentions (both of you) are pure, but unsolicited advice from someone who doesn't share or know your background can feel inappropriate. At the risk of coming across like deepthroat, I make enough money to support a lifestyle that I enjoy.

I don't know how to say this, but I'm kind of a big deal. I have dozens of leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#25 » by unklchuk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 pm

I think I'm in the presence of a sense of humor that doesn't quite work for me. (No big deal. My sense of humor ofttimes doesn't work for me either.)

Anywho... time for me to be someplace else.
AFAIK, IDKM
jerrod
RealGM
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#26 » by jerrod » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 pm

smauss wrote:
jerrod wrote:there was a hip hopera once too, mos def and beyonce were in it, it wasn't great

What a surprise! :lol:

good to be openminded

it's a story told through music, which hip hop is inherently better at doing 8-) . i don't think it was too awful though, maybe ill conceived :D
jerrod
RealGM

Post#27 » by jerrod » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:17 pm

unklchuk wrote:I think I'm in the presence of a sense of humor that doesn't quite work for me. (No big deal. My sense of humor ofttimes doesn't work for me either.)

i think he just meant that he's past that decision making point.
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by MajorDad » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:41 pm

Adamz - i was being serious. I realize it sounded like I was stating the obvious. i detect your wows were probably sarcastic.

My mother wanted me to be a music major at UW. Rather than going to sports camps, I went to music camp twice at UW as a high school student. I had a great baritone voice. Think of the song O holy Night, and that was me. there was a Harry Chapin song about Mr. Tanner. if you ever heard that song, I lived that song. My mother thought I could be a lounge singer and work my way through college singing at local coffee shops and night clubs. In high school I was in a touring group of Godspell. Unfortunately for me, I have very bad eye/hand coordination and very short fingers. You ma y have surmised tha t fro m m y lack of typing skills. I took piano and voice/vocal lessons for a year and my piano instructor told me to give it up. I was just not physically meant to play the piano or typist. In high school, I realized the only steady jobs in music were in music education and music shops. And to be a music education teacher, you are either a band instructor or vocal teacher. and 95% of all vocal teachers play the piano. the other 5% play the autoharp. ever notice , there is a very low turn-over in music teachers and they always seem to be there for 50 years+? there are very few openings for new music teachers. My reality sunk in- if I couldn't play the piano, what school system was going to hire me as their music teacher? Answer = Zero.

So destroying my mother's dream, I went to Purdue rather than UW to study a new thing called computer science (1974) rather than going to UW to be a music major. I was part of the Purdue Glee Club and sang around the world, at the Crystal Cathedral, at Disney World, and before two Presidents, Bob Greise, and Neil Armstrong - and of course Big Dog, Joe Barry Carrol, and Eugene Parker. I sang solos before old ladies and before 6,000 in Purdue's auditorium. My voice was heard over the Indiana farm bureau radio network singing Sweet Little Jesus Boy. I was even in the Purdue theater production of 1776 singing Mama Look Sharp. i was a mixed up kid in college. I changed my major 5 times. I ended up with over 160 semester hours and a BA degree in Elementary ED with a dual major in Secondary math Education and about 5 minors in accounting, computer science, math, and business. Because I had completed so many credit hours, I later completed degrees in finance and information systems and management at the government's expense. After teaching 7th grade math one year, I joined the Air Force and made it my career in that new thing called computer science.

I never gave up singing. I just never sing for money. I can still sing O Holy Night and Christian classics and still bring tears to listening ears. I can still sing the complete Handel's Messiah. But like Bing and Frank, I've lost a portion of my range so i hide the quality of my voice by using more emotion and expression. I also changed my singing habits to sing songs in my range rather than to take other's requests. the wedding , funeral, church, and kareoke circuits don't pay a whole lot of money. fortunately i've already had one caeer that allows me to do what I love for free. I would have loved to have been a part of the Metropolitan Opera Company and sing at Carnegie hall.- except I hate operas. What I found out in high school and in college was that no matter how great I thought I sounded, there were always 10 others who were better than me. I would have loved to be like Dan Fogleberg or Harry Chapin and just sing songs all over the world. but living on the road 95% of your life takes it's toll. there comes a time when you want to settle down, live in that 4,000 sq foot home and watch your son grow up and live his dreams of wanting to go to U of Mich and then be an NBA star or forensic pathologist.

it's ok to have dreams. I still have dreams 30 years later. What is not mentioned much about the greatest musicians is that the vast majority of them had a benefactor who paid the bills. and famous musicians/composers often placed their name on other less fortunate musician's work. i play fantasy sports with a bunch of dirt poor rock musicians. Several of them have had numerous #1 hits on the independent internet dowload music sites. look up the rock artist Father Time. he's so famous some other rock group stole his name. he has a great song about the Cubs being losers and about Barry Bonds. he makes his recordings in his garage. Fortunately, his wife has a real job.
lawrybeard
Analyst
And1: 165

Post#29 » by lawrybeard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks for a good read Major. It's interesting to see what people on here have done outside of basketball.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#30 » by smauss » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:05 pm

Boy, ya think ya kinda know a guy.........

I thought you were just a crotchety, old fart like me. But now I know better - your a crotchety old fart with a wonderful singing voice! :-)

Honestly Reed, I really enjoyed the read (no pun intended) and will read your posts in a different light than before. Thanks!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
unklchuk
Head Coach

Post#31 » by unklchuk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 pm

jerrod wrote:
unklchuk wrote:I think I'm in the presence of a sense of humor that doesn't quite work for me. (No big deal. My sense of humor ofttimes doesn't work for me either.)

i think he just meant that he's past that decision making point.

If so, it might have been a good touch if he could have phrased it as simply and graciously as you did.

But IMO one of adamcz's real contributions here is to be rude and expressive of his thoughts. Sometimes I consider the source, but usually I consider the thoughts.
AFAIK, IDKM
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#32 » by Joana » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:13 pm

adamcz wrote: I'm not sure if it's supposed to be funny or what.

That's exactly the kind of feeling that assaults me every time I'm listening to or watching "modern opera" - I'm never sure what it's supposed to be. I strongly believe the same happens with every civilized and cultivated person.

Come on, you're trying to seduce people to the delights of opera with John freaking Adams and his terrorist-loving, anti-semitic, nonsensical and pedantic pieces? What's next, Philip Glass? People here are fans of basketball, so the chances they enjoy being bored to hell are minimal (no pun intended).
Joana
Banned User

Post#33 » by Joana » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

trwi7 wrote:I was thinking, not all opera can be like this.

You're right. Fortunately.

trwi7 wrote:They were basically singing a play.

Well... that's the point.
Joana
Banned User

Post#34 » by Joana » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:20 pm

There's an excellent play about the atomic bomb - well, centered around the meeting between Borg and Heinseberg - , Michael Frayn's "Copenhagen". I think that play may be an excellent base for an interesting libretto with the exact same subject of Mr. Adams' oeuvre.

And adamcz, find a real job! Having a band named after you won't pay the bills, my friend. Ahahah, hilarious thread.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#35 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 am

Removed post.
unklchuk
Head Coach

Post#36 » by unklchuk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 am

The "lectures" surprised me as serious, intensive efforts to offer food for thought. They were heartfelt. And, as you said, well intentioned.

They were not, from what you say, new information for you. They were not useful. No problem there. But you seemed to feel that being underestimated in terms of life experience was an insult. Seemed to feel the need to defend your honor. We all view things differently, but I don't see this situation like that.

To me, the credentials you describe inoculate you against feeling diminished. Make you the Teflon Man to whom such things don't stick. When you know who you are, then being misinterpreted in an OT thread doesn't raise alarm bells. Doesn't change anything.

That's why I offered the opinion that a simpler and more gracious reply could have said "been there, done that" and let the thread move on to other things.

I tried then and I'm trying now NOT to preach. I don't know what your best behavior should be. I'm not condemning anything you said. But I threw out my opinion for 3 humble reasons:

1. It's the kind of thing I do
2. I hoped to offer a touch of solace to the Advisors At Arms
3. I wondered if the vigor of your reaction suggested more going on inside you than met your eye

Lastly, in saying you are rude, I'm not analyzing your social graces. That would be trivial. I was trying to get at what strikes me as your way of expressing your thoughts frankly, with an eye on your view of the truth - not on revising and diluting the truth to be more polite. That's why I called it a real contribution...
AFAIK, IDKM
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#37 » by MajorDad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 am

Adam, Does this mean, you won't give me a call when looking for the old guy for your next opera?

to be honest Adam, the average age of posters on this and many other internet sports forums is between 14-22. Unfortunately, real gm doesn't have user profiles. if your posts are mainly sacastic one liners, and filled with txt and lolololololol, old people like myself are led to believe you're either a high school junior or UW Whitewater Sophmore and that that you might need some wordly advice knowing that you'd never ask for it. MMBBOT just got his driver's license last year. My guess is he didn't wait until he was 28 to do so. i also doubt MMBBOTT is our youngest poster.

Some guys like myself are known as old guys because we admit that we are old. if you never talk much about yourself, it's kind of hard for us to talk at your level. When people like myself offer advice , we are not trying to tell you what to do or how to run your life. we're just trying to help you and prevent you from making the same mistakes we made. If i had known your true stature in life , i would have never offered any advice.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#38 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 am

You guys meant well. unklchuck's right that I should have left it at that.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#39 » by Jez2983 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:51 am

Wow, what an interesting thread! Major Dad, a very interesting read! And smauss, if you were any more self-depricating I'd be sure you were Australian!!!

adamcz wrote:quote removed

That's a pretty amazing CV. I wouldn't ever worry about being like deepthroat either. He was just "I'm rich and awesome, so I don't have to listen to you (yet will continue to do so)" whereas you've provided actual evidence of your achievements.

Also, if I had muscial talent, I would get a stack of hot, classically trained women and write music for them to perform!!! :D :wink:

Joana wrote:There's an excellent play about the atomic bomb - well, centered around the meeting between Borg and Heinseberg - , Michael Frayn's "Copenhagen". I think that play may be an excellent base for an interesting libretto with the exact same subject of Mr. Adams' oeuvre.

I recently watched a performance of "Major Barbara" by George Bernard Shaw. An excellent commentary on the ethics of being a weapons manufacturer and the use of ill-begotten money to aid a good cause, which is quite relevant in these times, I suppose. My GF's brother was a main character. He went to NIDA (produced actors such as Mel Gibson, Sam Neill, Cate Blanchett) and has found the only work he can get is as an acting teacher and in a movie rental store. Not exactly making movies! I'm sure he could associate with your early career, Major Dad.

Furthermore, my GF was in the Australian Girl's choir but never interested in a career in this area. I keep suggesting the next Australian Idol, but she keeps refusing (surprisingly!).

ETA: No probs, adamcz
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#40 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:00 am

Jez, thanks for the kind comments. Can you do me a favor and delete that quote of mine? After a second thought, I think that stuff is best left off the Bucks board.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks