ImageImage

OT - iPod Tuners

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

OT - iPod Tuners 

Post#1 » by MetroDrugUnit » Sun Jan 4, 2009 3:15 am

Hay, I bought my wife a Belkin Tunecast for her iPod for Christmas. It doesn't work very well, at all. Not a very good signal and I'm in a pretty Rural area (Fort Atkinson) I was wondering if any of you have had any luck with different brands or do all of these things have their limitations. Thanks
TotalPackage
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: OT - iPod Tuners 

Post#2 » by TotalPackage » Sun Jan 4, 2009 3:25 am

I've got the Belkin Tunebase FM for my Ipod touch.... it works pretty well although if I am in the city driving between tall buildings it breaks up a bit... my main problem is with the cradle.... the ipod continually moves out of the cradle just enough to lose connection if you go over a slight bump in the road.... which turns it off. Very frustrating.
After 2 years of trying to register for this website.... I can finally get on!!!
brewcrew321
Sophomore

Post#3 » by brewcrew321 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 3:41 am

well if you want a tuner, then the belkin is what we have,and it works pretty well. ive also heard that Belkin is the best brand for those tuners. but, the a tape player with a cord from it works even better in my opinion.

heres a link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 7625430711

that is the one i have and it works great
Oct 16th 1968
Junior

Post#4 » by Oct 16th 1968 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 6:32 am

im guessing you dont have a cassette deck in your car?

edit: didnt see your post above. yup the dynex is the best cassette one. Ive had other brands including Monster die on me. The tuners always suck.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 991

Post#5 » by Ryan5UW » Sun Jan 4, 2009 8:32 am

I have this one, and like it quite a bit.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto07
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#6 » by MetroDrugUnit » Sun Jan 4, 2009 5:11 pm

Oct 16th 1968 wrote:im guessing you dont have a cassette deck in your car?

edit: didnt see your post above. yup the dynex is the best cassette one. Ive had other brands including Monster die on me. The tuners always suck.

No cassette in the car. I have a DVD player in my truck so I can plug mine right into the inputs, that works awsome. No such luck with our Honda. Thanks for all of the input.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#7 » by fam3381 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 6:18 pm

I got my girlfriend the Tunecast Auto and we tried it out yesterday for the first time on a two-hour drive. While we were leaving Boston we had to change frequencies a bunch of times since there are so few open frequencies there. But once we were driving through New Hampshire we didn't have to touch it; the last hour of the trip one frequency worked the entire time. Sound quality was pretty good for an FM transmitter. The one I bought has an autoscan feature which I tried briefly in Boston but didn't seem very effective. I also bought it because it's iPhone compatible; the other ones I looked at in the store didn't expressly say they were compatible with it.

I liked the Tunecast slightly more than my buddy's iTrip (which was like a year old I think) that I used on a road trip a few weeks ago. The one he had used the iPod battery so it was cordless (nice) but couldn't charge the ipod (bad). Note that Griffin makes both ones that have external power (which is what Ryan linked to above) and ones that run on your iPod battery. I'm not sure whether having the external power source tangibly impacts quality or not.

I think the quality of these things is highly dependent on where you're driving, so I'd be wary of using just our experiences as a gauge. It's probably worth playing with it for a while longer before you chuck it. Here are a bunch of reviews:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/review ... rades/C204
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks