ImageImage

Superstars, Franchise Players and how to get them

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Superstars, Franchise Players and how to get them 

Post#1 » by PedroGrande » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm kind of new to this board, and I don't know if this as already been discussed in a topic, but as a bucks fan and kind of new to the NBA there are 2 questions that always prompt in my head:

What makes a player a SuperStar or a Franchise Player to a team to build around?

And consequently how do you get one?

I'll Make a list of every team and who are the called, or at least the most likely franchise players and how did they get them.

East:

Atlantic Division:

Boston: Paul Pierce (It could Be KG but as Pierce is around since 1998 I think he is Boston's Franchise Player) - Draft
New Jersey: Carter? Harris? Both of them by trade.
New York: ???? I really don't know
Philadelphia: Iggy? Brand? Iggy by draft and Brand by FA
Toronto: Bosh - Draft

Central Division:

Chicago: Rose - Draft
Cleveland: LeBron James - Draft
Detroit: Rasheed? Trade
Indiana: Hum... Granger? Trade
Milwaukee: Redd - Draft

Southeast Division:

Atlanta: Joe Johnson - Trade (S & T actually)
Charlotte: Okafor? Wallace? Draft or Free Agent I really don't know how to call it in Wallace case
Miami: Wade - Draft
Orlando: Howard - Draft
Washington - Arenas? - FA

West:

Southwest Division:

Dallas: Nowitzki - Draft (trade on draft day);
Houston: Yao Ming - Draft
Memphis: Mayo? Gay? Draft (trade on draft day)
New Orleans: Paul - Draft
Spurs: Duncan - Draft

Pacific Division:

Golden State: ?
LAC: Baron Davis? - FA
LAL: Kobe Bryant - Draft (trade on draft day)
Phoenix: Nash - FA
Sacramento: ???

Northwest Division:

Denver: Carmelo? - Draft
Minnesota: Jefferson? - Trade
Portland: Roy - Draft (trade on draft day)
Oklahoma: Durant - Draft
Utah: Boozer? Williams? - Draft and FA

Most of them are in the teams by draft and very few by FA... Thats why i think although cap space is important a small market like millwaukee almost cannot dream to ever sign a superstar.

I know some of the players are not really true superstars or players to build around and that is really what I would like being discussed. If there are any errors please feel free to point them and sorry about the lousy english, also feel free to make fun of it:)
"Hope isn't a plan"
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,229

Re: Superstars, Franchise Players and how to get them 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm looking at your list and noting down the guys who weren't #1 overall picks but IMO are top tier players. They are:

Paul Pierce
Vince Carter
Chris Bosh
Dirk
Chris Paul
Kobe
Carmelo
Nash
Amare
Roy
Wade

All those guys save for Nash/Kobe were guys picked in the top ten of the draft, many right in that 4/5 pick area. Our selections in the top ten of the draft have sucked for twenty years. So I think there is your answer.

You either luck into the number one overall pick in a year when you have a LeBron, Duncan, Dwight or Yao, or you try to accumulate top ten (preferably top five) picks and don't blow it.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,857

Post#3 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:30 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I'm looking at your list and noting down the guys who weren't #1 overall picks but IMO are top tier players. They are:

Paul Pierce
Vince Carter
Chris Bosh
Dirk
Chris Paul
Kobe
Carmelo
Nash
Amare
Roy
Wade

All those guys save for Nash/Kobe were guys picked in the top ten of the draft, many right in that 4/5 pick area. Our selections in the top ten of the draft have sucked for twenty years. So I think there is your answer.

You either luck into the number one overall pick in a year when you have a LeBron, Duncan, Dwight or Yao, or you try to accumulate top ten (preferably top five) picks and don't blow it.

In the team's defense, they have rarely picked in the top 5 (Allen, Robinson, Bogut) and the odds of getting a superstar steadily decline as you move down the lottery. What's so frustrating is not that the Bucks always blow their picks in the 8-15 range, but that they're always picking in that range in the first place. Screwing up the picks is somewhat understandable, but being constantly in denial about the team's outlook by building around mediocre players and overpaying them is maddening. And that's what gets them the Todd Days, Joel Przybillas, Marcus Haislips, and Joe Alexanders of the world.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 5,000

Post#4 » by drew881 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:49 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:I'm looking at your list and noting down the guys who weren't #1 overall picks but IMO are top tier players. They are:

In the team's defense, they have rarely picked in the top 5 (Allen, Robinson, Bogut) and the odds of getting a superstar steadily decline as you move down the lottery. What's so frustrating is not that the Bucks always blow their picks in the 8-15 range, but that they're always picking in that range in the first place. Screwing up the picks is somewhat understandable, but being constantly in denial about the team's outlook by building around mediocre players and overpaying them is maddening. And that's what gets them the Todd Days, Joel Przybillas, Marcus Haislips, and Joe Alexanders of the world.

Here I agree. You can get a superstar player like pierce, roy, etc in the middle of the first round, but the all-time franchise championship players almost always go in the first three picks: Jordan, Shaq, Duncan (probably Lebron in a few years), even Wade.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#5 » by BobbyLight » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Wade was the 5th pick.
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#6 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Drafting is such a gamble because you never know what you are going to get. I would say we have had better success in the second round then the first round for the last 10 years. When was the last time other than Bogut have we had a top 5 pick? Another problem is we do trade our picks on draft day for at the time players to help now. Like Trent and Fortson. I don't think our draft history is great but it is not that bad as people make it out to be. We have had gems like Ray Allen and Andrew Lang (what ever happened to that buzzard) draft day trade. It is very hard to find gems after that more or less luck unless you are the Spurs but even then some of their picks have not panned out. To be honest other than Bogut, Big Dog, and Allen how many top 5 picks have we had since the lottery started?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks