A new stat! "Scoring Surplus" from Bucks Diary

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Re: A new stat! "Scoring Surplus" from Bucks Diary 

Post#21 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:56 pm

steger_3434 wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:You guys are right, Redd shot poorly in the Olympics so he'd probably be terrible next to Lebron James.

Grasping much?

Nope, just showing that on a great team playing against awful competition he was actually a worse player. Maybe Redd would be awful in Cleveland. Maybe he can't be a "role player" which is what he'd have to be with LeBron.

So the Olympics are a good measuring stick as to how he'd do in Cleveland? So he'd come in and play every other game, mostly for 2-5 minutes at a time?

Is that how you expect a person to get in rythym?
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#22 » by JoeHova » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:55 pm

The problem with this stat is- why multiply FTAs by .5? True Shooting percentage (and usage rate and turnover rate) uses .44 and I had a conversation with the guy who runs basketball-reference.com about where that came from a couple years ago and he couldn't give me a great answer. All FTAs are not created equal because not all of them use a possession (and 1's, clear paths, technicals, etc.).
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#23 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:29 am

JoeHova, .44 would probably be better, even though I don't think it would change the end rankings all that much. You should suggest that to the guy - it's a minor tweak, but it probably makes the results slightly more meaningful.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks