ImageImage

The Official Optimistic Bucks Fans Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Pick and TRoll
Sophomore
And1: 23
Location: Crawling to contention through 26 years of **** smelling foulness you can't even imagine.

Re: The Official Optimistic Bucks Fans Thread 

Post#81 » by Pick and TRoll » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm

I think those posters in other threads that discount the value of Redd, Gadz and RJ's expirings in 2010/11 do so not because they think they won't have value as expirings when the time comes, but because they believe that only once those contracts come off the books will the rebuild start, with a championship contending team years away. Maybe they're right, but my hope is that the rebuild has already begun, not by getting a flexible salary structure, but by starting a positive team culture.

With the tear-it-down-and-rebuild plan, first you get a flexible salary structure and tank for high draft picks to acquire good young players, then you develop the culture of winning with them over the course of years. With the culture plan, you try to be a winning organization and, once salary flexibility naturally comes with time, you turn those expiring contracts or off-season salary cap space around for players who will immediately come into the existing playoff-experienced program and put it over the top.

Maybe that's just a pipe dream, but if it is not and I have to choose between being a high lottery team for a couple of years or being a low playoff seed for a couple of years, with the end result still being a contending team after that in either scenario, I'd choose the couple years of playoffs.
Movieman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#82 » by Movieman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:11 pm

While I admit I am not the basketball mind as most on this board - I find it odd that

1. A significant number of people on this board thinks the team (though currently the 8th seed while losing three starters) stinks.

2. A significant number of people are upset that the GM didn't give away one of the better players on the team. Now I imagine most fans around the league wanted their teams GM's to try to improve their team this year, we wanted to make ours worse.

3. A significant number of people on this board - who currently thinks our team still in the playoff chase stinks - wanted to give away one of our better players. Not to be players in free agency, but to re sign players currently on the team - THE TEAM THEY CURRENTLY THINK STINK.

Since all signs point to the Bucks re signing Sessions (Everyone seems to say they will, so for now I'll take their word for it). The future of this team comes down to keeping Jefferson, a veteran solid team leader - or giving a long term deal to Charlie V and possibly a late lottery / mid first round pick.

I can't believe choosing between Jefferson and Charlie V will determine if this team will be successful in the future. One isn't that much better than the other. I dismiss the first round pick because even if we don't use it this year - we'd trade it for a future pick or player later.

Honestly, what am I missing here?
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,240

Post#83 » by LUKE23 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:18 pm

1. A significant number of people on this board thinks the team (though currently the 8th seed while losing three starters) stinks.

I actually don't think many think this current team sucks. Most are actually having fun watching this team sans Redd. What they think stinks is the outlook of the future on how this team can realistically contend.

2. A significant number of people are upset that the GM didn't give away one of the better players on the team. Now I imagine most fans around the league wanted their teams GM's to try to improve their team this year, we wanted to make ours worse.

It really wasn't giving him away. It's what you value. Say it's RJ vs. CV/1st/Ersan/Bogans. That is what people are weighing. It's weighing RJ vs. what you can get for RJ's salary if you completely clear it.

3. A significant number of people on this board - who currently thinks our team still in the playoff chase stinks - wanted to give away one of our better players. Not to be players in free agency, but to re sign players currently on the team - THE TEAM THEY CURRENTLY THINK STINK.

They don't think it stinks. They want to keep Sessions/CV because they are young players with a lot of upside, and they can easily be had for less than guys like Redd/RJ, players at much easier positions to find talent, make.

People like watching this team this year. What people are questioning is how this team is set up for future years. There are A TON of questions for Hammond to address regarding that, and the assets are limited.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,055

Post#84 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:19 pm

Movieman wrote:Honestly, what am I missing here?

Good post. You are missing one key point. We don't have an ability to add new guys under either scenario.

If we are decent, we can't add anyone. If we stink, we can't add anyone.

That is what depresses the heck out of us.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,043

Post#85 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 pm

I will be an optimist about one thing. I'm very much looking forward to adding a high first rounder in '10. For years I've wanted the Bucks to be really good or really bad and have never gotten my wish. Next season that all changes. This team is going to be putrid. Like bottom five in the NBA putrid, and that's without taking injuries into account. After Redd and Bogut go down with their annual injuries this is a team that could be worst in the entire league.

Top three pick, here we come! Cheers everybody!!
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#86 » by europa » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:51 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
That is what depresses the heck out of us.

There's no reason to be depressed in this thread so take your depression to the millions of other threads in this forum. It's not wanted nor does it belong in this one. :)
Nothing will not break me.
Movieman
Junior

Post#87 » by Movieman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:52 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

I actually don't think many think this current team sucks. Most are actually having fun watching this team sans Redd. What they think stinks is the outlook of the future on how this team can realistically contend.

It really wasn't giving him away. It's what you value. Say it's RJ vs. CV/1st/Ersan/Bogans. That is what people are weighing. It's weighing RJ vs. what you can get for RJ's salary if you completely clear it.

They don't think it stinks. They want to keep Sessions/CV because they are young players with a lot of upside, and they can easily be had for less than guys like Redd/RJ, players at much easier positions to find talent, make.

People like watching this team this year. What people are questioning is how this team is set up for future years. There are A TON of questions for Hammond to address regarding that, and the assets are limited.

In the end though, doesn't it really come down to the Bucks keeping either Jefferson or Charlie V? I think they'll keep Sessions regardless.

So they keep Jefferson and try to make a token playoff appearance. Next year its the same basic team with Jefferson minus Charlie V. Contract runs out it what 2 years?

The other option was essentially giving up on this season and trading Jefferson for an expiring. Next season the same basic team with Charlie V minus Jefferson. Contract I imagine will be for 4 years?

I'm sure there would be minor tweaks to the roster no matter what move they made at the deadline. Is there really that big a difference talent wise between the two?

I just don't see how not dumping a contract this year changes the teams future that much. Now if Hammond turned down an expiring deal for Gadz - that I can see being worked up about. Hammond seems to have put together a decent core, and they are playing well despite some pretty big injuries.

If we aren't a bottoming out this year with season ending injuries, why should we assume they will next year with essentially the same team.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#88 » by Max Green » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm interested to see what kind of Magic Hammond works in the offseason. I believe the people who keep whining about how much salary we have committed and not being able to find our 1st pick etc... Will be surprised. Hammond isn't a fool, he see's the numbers, and I'm sure he has a plan.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,055

Post#89 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:54 pm

europa wrote:There's no reason to be depressed in this thread so take your depression to the millions of other threads in this forum. It's not wanted nor does it belong in this one. :)

Sorry, I got mixed up in threads.

If it means anything, I'm real excited to watch this current team finish the season. If we had traded RJ and Ridnour for Outlaw, it really would have weakened us IMO.

I think if we had a healthy Ridnour (and we will next week) we win that Bulls game. He would have done better defensively on Hinrich and not made the rookie turnovers that Sessions did.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
blueedwards
Banned User

Post#90 » by blueedwards » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 pm

I hate to rain on your parade. But I have a wierd feeling we come back even better with just what we got. Even if we fail on signing CV. My 2009 season player predictions.

Sessions 17pts 6.8 assists 4 reb
Bell 16pts 3assists 3reb
RJ 21pts 6 reb 3 assists
Prince 12 pts 9reb 1.2 blks 1.5 stl
Bogut 14pts 11reb 1.3 blks

I see us close to making playoffs. Hovering around 8 seed. But on the outside looking in all season. But we hang in there.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks