Is Skiles Still the Right Coach?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Re: Is Skiles Still the Right Coach? 

Post#21 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:44 am

emunney wrote:
I totally see where this post is coming from based on Skiles' reputation.

All I did was ask the question to provoke conversation. Personally, I think Skiles is a great fit for the Bucks.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#22 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 am

europa wrote:Yea I'm sure he's absolutely thrilled. You're really really reaching today, my friend. :)

Of course he's not happy Redd is out and that also Redd now is unmoveable for two years. That kills, just kills this team's flexibility for awhile and Skiles chances for success.

But I truly think the guy would rather play with five low talent guys he can have run into walls, playing hard nose defense than go to war with guys like Redd, Mo, Vince Carter, CV, etc.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#23 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 am

IIRC, Skiles was hired before any of the offseason moves went down. So he definitely knew that there was a question as to which way Hammond was going to take the team and he took the job anyways.

Personally, I'm more thrown off that Supreme made a thread to provoke legitimate conversation. Where's the sarcasm? The wit? The Supreme?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#24 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:47 am

WEFFPIM wrote:IIRC, Skiles was hired before any of the offseason moves went down. So he definitely knew that there was a question as to which way Hammond was going to take the team and he took the job anyways.

Personally, I'm more thrown off that Supreme made a thread to provoke legitimate conversation. Where's the sarcasm? The wit? The Supreme?

On the seventh day, he rested.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#25 » by europa » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
europa wrote:Yea I'm sure he's absolutely thrilled. You're really really reaching today, my friend. :)

Of course he's not happy Redd is out and that also Redd now is unmoveable for two years. That kills, just kills this team's flexibility for awhile and Skiles chances for success.

Whatever you say, Press. :)
Nothing will not break me.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#26 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:54 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:IIRC, Skiles was hired before any of the offseason moves went down. So he definitely knew that there was a question as to which way Hammond was going to take the team and he took the job anyways.

Apparently not...
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#27 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:55 am

WEFFPIM wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

Apparently not...

Good point.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#28 » by Ayt » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:07 am

I really can't complain about Skiles at all. Sometimes his rotation are a little different than what I'd do, but at least I can understand his thinking. He doesn't put in an all bench lineup to start every 4th quarter, which is nice. I think he's great at developing young players, provided they are willing to take his "tough love" approach. If they aren't, they probably don't have a bright future anyway.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,739

Post#29 » by emunney » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:19 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
emunney wrote:

All I did was ask the question to provoke conversation. Personally, I think Skiles is a great fit for the Bucks.

I wasn't being sarcastic with that quote, if that's what you think. I think it's a valid question to ask, regardless of what your opinion is, based on Skiles rep as a guy who doesn't like playing rookies.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#30 » by europa » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 am

emunney wrote:
I wasn't being sarcastic with that quote, if that's what you think. I think it's a valid question to ask, regardless of what your opinion is, based on Skiles rep as a guy who doesn't like playing rookies.

Is that rep really deserved, though? When Dang, Duhon and Gordon were rookies, they all played more than 24 mintues per game for Skiles. I think fam and ayt made the right point - Skiles just wants players who will play hard. If you do that, you'll play. M&M is a perfect example of that this season.
Nothing will not break me.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#31 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:24 am

emunney wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
emunney wrote:

Not too mention hasn't really built a program from the ground up. It seems like that's the way this team is going to head here shortly.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#32 » by Ayt » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:06 am

Skiles hasn't built a program from the ground up? Skiles doesn't play rookies or young players? What do you think he did in Chicago?

His first full year there, they won 47 games. The top 8 players in terms of minutes played that year included 4 rookies (Deng, Gordon, Duhon, Noc), 1 second year player (Hinrich), 2 fourth year players (Chandler, Curry), and Antonio Davis.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,048

Post#33 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:14 am

I think it's a legit question to ask.

When he was hired he saw a team with Redd, Mo Williams (of whom I'm guessing he didn't like, granted), a young PG that had just put up monster stats in the last two months and a Bogut that had just put up respectable numbers, albeit on a losing team. Give him a high draft pick and tradeable assets and I'm guessing he was sold on a team that likely wouldn't need a complete tear-down job.

The RJ trade turned out to be a disaster, our 1st round pick has been useless, Sessions turned out to be a scorer as opposed to a distributor, Redd is done for the year, Bogut has 'back issues' and his best player now appears to be a guy that scores a ton but can't play D.

Is it unreasonable to think that he goes to bed at night wondering what the hell he got himself into?

Personally, I love Skiles. Outside of LRMAM, he's the one solid move Hammond made. But can he handle another GM that's completely screwed him over with terrible roster moves?
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#34 » by El Duderino » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:18 am

So long as Skiles feels confident that he will have the strong backing of the GM, which i think he does with Hammond and will continue to have for awhile, i don't see Skiles wanting to cut shop if the team has to go younger.

As a fan, i hope he's here a long time, his press conferences after losses where the team plays soft is must see TV for me, absolutely hilarious stuff usually. Whenever games end, i DVR Bucks Live so i can fast forward through all the nonsense, but always look forward to his comments, many times which are more entertaining than the game itself. The only frustrating thing is when they cut his interview short even though they already wasted 10 minutes with Johnny Mac and old asss Pashke talking about defending pick and roles.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#35 » by El Duderino » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:21 am

DrugBust wrote:
Is it unreasonable to think that he goes to bed at night wondering what the hell he got himself into?

Personally, I love Skiles. Outside of LRMAM, he's the one solid move Hammond made. But can he handle another GM that's completely screwed him over with terrible roster moves?

Skiles to me seems like he's close with Hammond and likely has his share of say in moves being made. He very well could have helped convince Hammond to trade for Jefferson and/or to draft Alexander.
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#36 » by apdamico » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:59 am

Skiles got to hand pick the PG of his choose and Hammond made the trade work, even though many questioned the logic of the move. Hammond and Skiles definitely seem to be on good terms with each other and I’m sure both feel the same sickness over the Redd situation. :(

Skiles can put on a good face and say to the world that injuries are part of the game, but we all know he wishes that Bogut and Redd weren't injured. The mere fact that he moves on with what he has to work with instead of dwelling on conditions he can’t control, should speak volumes of the fact he’s the best coach (and right coach) for the Bucks.

Who knows what the future holds for this team? One thing that will happen under Skiles’ watch is that the players that listen in practice and put out the most consistent all-round effort on a daily basis, regardless of their seniority, will play the most minutes.

I can only imagine when LRMAM would have actually gotten to play, if at all, under the old regime. Skiles is not the problem and very much a part of the future success of this team!
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#37 » by power4wardjinx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:55 am

He didn't handpick the PG -- he got the best lower tier guy available. The SF he claimed he picked, though Kiki handed RJ to him. Skiles and RJ are the core here obviously, as much as everybody on here wants to trade RJ ....

Of course he's the right coach. Hammond stuck him with a few guys who are NOT his kind of players, and we know who those are. One of 'em's now out for the season, and you're going to see the kind of high energy, uptempo basketball we were seeing when Redd was out the first time. I didn't see Scott Skiles throwing a pity party when Redd went down, and neither should any of you.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by power4wardjinx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:58 am

El Duderino wrote:
DrugBust wrote:

Skiles to me seems like he's close with Hammond and likely has his share of say in moves being made. He very well could have helped convince Hammond to trade for Jefferson and/or to draft Alexander.

You think they called the shots on the New Jersey trade? REALLY? Kiki Vandeweghe brought that deal to the Bucks and Hammond jumped at it. Skiles likes RJ -- done deal. That's a good thing, not a bad thing. RJ plays D. Every fantasy owner he upsets by putting up an average to below average line makes me smile, and wonder why Desmod Mason could never deliver wins.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by power4wardjinx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:06 pm

DrugBust wrote:I think it's a legit question to ask.

No, it's not. Neither one of us should have graced this thread with a response.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#40 » by BobbyLight » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Skiles could be the next Jerry Sloan. In Utah, when they get a knucklehead, the knucklehead gets moved, not the coach. If someone would grace Skiles with the same treatment, he could be just as good of a coach in the long term.

Look at his demise in Phoenix, they had this guy named Marbury and Marbury was more important than the coach there. Look at Chicago where developling their awesome young talent was/is a priority. How are Thomas and Noah panning out? Oh and where is Ben Wallace right now? Again Chicago found it's players to be more important than the coach and where are they?

Keep Skiles for as long as you can and get players who can play with him. If a player can't handle it, trade him.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks